The "Annual" Good Friday football discussion thread

Are you happy for football to be played on Good Friday?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Because you've just invented that. No such thing has ever happened. In fact, one of the points that was recently agreed to by the clubs was designed to do the exact opposite to what you're suggesting.

I didn't conveniently forget anything. A Queen's Birthday game in the late 1990s between Collingwood and Melbourne drew 40k, just. Two years later, it became an annual event. It drew 50.8k last year. The point is that Collingwood against any number of teams (which, pretty obviously, was what I was getting at by mentioning Richmond and Carlton, as alternatives to Melbourne) would get 20k+ more than that, easily.

So, what you're saying is two big Victorian clubs don't need a specific public holiday to for one of its games to be a blockbuster; they just need a prime time spot generally? I think we might be going around in circles then.

But also in 2006 when Melbourne were 4th and Collingwood 6th 78,000 fans turned out!

But how long do we have to wait for the dees to start winning? Maybe another 3-4 years.

Also in 2007 76,000 turned out and in 2010 the drawn game 70,000 fans.

To queens birthday you will get your minimum 40,000 Collingwood fans but it all depends on melboure are going! This year they will probably get 15-20,000 Melbourne fans to the game. If and when they start winning you will get 25-30,000 dee fans along with 45-50,000 pie fans and then you will have a genuine blockbuster

But also in 2006 when Melbourne were 4th and Collingwood 6th 78,000 fans turned out!

But how long do we have to wait for the dees to start winning? Maybe another 3-4 years.

To queens birthday you will get your minimum 40,000 Collingwood fans but it all depends on melboure are going! This year they will probably get 15-20,000 Melbourne fans to the game. If and when they start winning you will get 25-30,000 dee fans along with 45-50,000 pie fans and then you will have a genuine blockbuster

2006: 78.7
2007: 70.6
2010: 67.4

All well and good. I'm sure Easter Monday will go through similar peaks and troughs and I'd be pleasantly surprised if Geelong v Hawthorn on Easter Monday is still pulling 80k. Monday is a tougher sell and I'm certainly not suggesting that Queen's birthday should be taken off those two clubs. I just think that if Good Friday is played between any two Etihad tenants at Etihad, with the understanding that the teams are strictly getting the fixture on a trial basis, it would get a packed house. And if it's a packed house every year, that means you can sell more memberships with guaranteed access to Good Friday, like the clubs already do with Anzac Day.

2006: 78.7
2007: 70.6
2010: 67.4

All well and good. I'm sure Easter Monday will go through similar peaks and troughs and I'd be pleasantly surprised if Geelong v Hawthorn on Easter Monday is still pulling 80k. Monday is a tougher sell and I'm certainly not suggesting that Queen's birthday should be taken off those two clubs. I just think that if Good Friday is played between any two Etihad tenants at Etihad, with the understanding that the teams are strictly getting the fixture on a trial basis, it would get a packed house. And if it's a packed house every year, that means you can sell more memberships with guaranteed access to Good Friday, like the clubs already do with Anzac Day.

A thought that just crossed my mind when you mention 'between 2 Etihad tenants'. And the tacit requirement that these teams sell the ground out (which I'm not sure North Vs WB would do on a regular basis).

Carlton's contract there is almost up, and the AFL needs to try and balance games between grounds (and get some 'big' games at docklands)...Just thinking a quiet word to Carlton that they'd be a great fit for this game, if only they stayed there....I guess the fans would hate it, but I imagine a deal could be structured that management would approve of.

Also to add in 2011 75,998 turned out to the queens birthday clash. If the dees were winning you could of added another 10,000 to that total!

I think Good Friday should actually be given to either st.kilda, north or the bulldogs. They are the only clubs that don't have a marquee game.

Carlton - opening game of season
Collingwood - Anzac Day, Queens birthday
Essendon - Anzac Day, Dream time
Geelong - Easter Monday
Hawthorn - Easter Monday
Melbourne - Queens Birthday
North Melbourne - nil
Richmond - Opening Game, Dream Time
St.kilda - nil
Western Bulldogs - nil.

I think give Good Friday to north Melbourne v western bulldogs at Etihad stadium. Would get 45,000

I think Good Friday should actually be given to either st.kilda, north or the bulldogs. They are the only clubs that don't have a marquee game.

Geelong - Easter Monday
Hawthorn - Easter Monday
North Melbourne - nil
St.kilda - nil
Western Bulldogs - nil

I think give Good Friday to north Melbourne v western bulldogs at Etihad stadium. Would get 45,000

Melbourne V Western bulldogs play the field of women game.
St Kilda play the Anzac day game in New Zealand.

Geelong - Easter Monday
Hawthorn - Easter Monday
North Melbourne - nil
St.kilda - nil
Western Bulldogs - nil.

'Opening game' is nothing any more, indeed the Richmond, Carlton fixture is a negative (draws less because of it's time slot) because it's now a 'normal' H&A game, but played on a Thursday. It's round 2, there have been 3 or 4 matches in Melbourne already. Sure it 'opens' round 2, and is the first game at the G, but does anyone thing those 2 do anything to make a game special?

Geelong - Easter Monday
Hawthorn - Easter Monday
North Melbourne - nil
St.kilda - nil
Western Bulldogs - nil.

Any match should be played at the MCG where you would maximize the crowd with plenty of neutrals rocking up as most of the population are bored stiff for most of GF.Could have another game interstate as well to capitalize on the TV ratings all day.

It would a complete injustice if North Melbourne are not apart from the Good Friday game.

It does seem strange to me that the AFL will not play a game on a day that someone, who may or may not have existed, may or may not have died, but are happy to schedule games on a day that commemorates the deaths of so many Australians.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If all goes according to plan 2016 will be the last time we have no AFL on Good Friday and annual threads like these...

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Who cares really, it will just be another made up Victorian blockbuster created which will still have 3/4 of the country still not watching footy on good Friday just like most Friday night games have become.

I find it amusing that bunnings pleads with every year to spend the entire four days renovating our houses, but AFL cant put on some footy. The rub is they will saturate the Thursday night footy with the adverts in question.

A nice touch would be to have the worst big 4 clubs play. Essendon v Carlton a lock for 5 years

Don't mind either way, community football or other things are not smothered by the AFL.

I guess St Kilda would be a decent name for good Friday.

St Kilda v North sounds like a good chance for those 2 clubs to build iwe are going to have it, or maybe one of he Norhern clubs

Any Good Friday game should not be monopolised by the vic clubs... they get all the other public holiday/season opener games. Good Friday should be a wharfie game because Jesus was a man and men work on the wharfs... so should be Port v Freo for Good Friday.

Back