Remove this Banner Ad

Would anyone in the USA even know they have had a national cricket team since the 70s? It has never taken off there

It's not like it needs to be well known by a majority of the population for them to have a decent cricket team. They have a population of 320 million. A fair proportion of those would be migrants or the children of migrants from cricketing nations. They have a cricket tradition stretching back to the 1800s. They should not be as abysmal as they are.

It's not like it needs to be well known by a majority of the population for them to have a decent cricket team. They have a population of 320 million. A fair proportion of those would be migrants or the children of migrants from cricketing nations. They have a cricket tradition stretching back to the 1800s. They should not be as abysmal as they are.
I don't get it then, why has it never taken off? I doubt you'll find many people over there that know their roots in cricket stem back to the 1800s. Cricket should be huge over there!

What is he bowling?

He's still not allowed to bowl off spin.

Though I guess Ajmal did bowl against Kenya so maybe players can bowl in A-games whilst banned
Zimbabwe A, so l suppose he is allowed.

I don't get it then, why has it never taken off? I doubt you'll find many people over there that know their roots in cricket stem back to the 1800s. Cricket should be huge over there!

Put simply - baseball. Baseball changed itself to make itself popular, cricket stayed as it was. Also, the ICC began as the Imperial Cricket Conference - thus preventing the USA from having any representation. The best side in the US until WWI was the Philadelphians, an amateur first class team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It shouldn't.

I have major doubts that Utseya's mediums warrant selection in Zimbabwe's best XI.
The same could be said about a number of their players, they've a lost a few players due to poor pay, corruption etc. True, but maybe for his experience.

Zimbabwe's best XI at the moment would be beaten by any Australian domestic team.

And even then Utseya should not be in their best XI

The same could be said about a number of their players, they've a lost a few players due to poor pay, corruption etc. True, but maybe for his experience.

Even if we consider Jarvis etc they have better options than Utseya

What the status of Irish cricket at the grass roots level, internationally l am well aware of the issues etc.

It's building. Club cricket has been in place for around 30 years, but they've just started an inter-pro series, which is basically a first class competition, but because they aren't a Test nation it doesn't have FC status.

But the problem at grassroots level is a familiar one around the world (including here), in that dropout rates are just as high as those taking up the sport. There still aren't enough opportunities for people to pick cricket ahead of another, bigger sport if they have the chance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back