The Association Football AFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If GWS do accept Freo's trade for McCarthy (1st rounder this season and 1st rounder next), I wonder if that will impact on Collingwood's offer to Treloar? They won't need their first round picks anymore (unless they plan on delisting several more players over this off season and next) and would then probably chase an extra forward instead.
They might still be after picks, with their academy prospects this year they will be spending a few of them to upgrade their picks.

It may be next years which is palatable. This years will be gone.

Next years could be between 10-15 roughly which is closer to his value. 28 and Walker was mooted as 9 is too high. That would mean therefore Smith would be 28 this year instead.
Seems likely. His manager ruled Walker out as being part of the deal. Dangerous if you don't have a good season next season though.

Seems likely. His manager ruled Walker out as being part of the deal. Dangerous if you don't have a good season next season though.
It's a calculated gamble. It could blow up in our face but will it?

Doubt we'll be bottom 4 even if we have a very bad year. Our list is simply better than Carlton's, Essendon's and Brisbane's are. Missing finals should see an easier draw. In all honesty a bad year would see us go down maybe 2-3 spots max. So pick 6-9, in a stronger draft. If so a win for the Blues.

Guess we'll have to wait probably at least a week to find out though.

28 + Walker in a "weaker" draft vs. at worst pick 15-20 in next year's draft. I'd take the gamble on the 2016 draft and pick being better than what's currently on offer. Haven't seen enough of Walker to think that he is anymore than a sweetner and wouldn't add a great deal of value to the deal

That's the one! :p

Pretty handy when he can get on the park but had his share of injuries over the journey.
I would not touch Astbury with a ten foot pole. He is your Tom Williams

That's a horrible trade scenario for Carlton imo

The only club that picks up injury prone talls is Geelong

SEN reporting we are looking at some GWS kid called Townsend. Sort of feels like a consolation prize after Treloar, Bennell, Aish etc but if he turns out to be another Anthony Miles, would be a ripper addition!

Anyone know much about him?
Matt Thomas replacement?

Goes hard at the ball but has barely played since 2013. Typical tigers fringe pick, doesn't have upside like what Miles had.

If Richmond don't come to the party with a 1st round pick I'm pretty sure Hawthorn will. Yes it's a few picks worse but I'd happily take that deal. After compo picks Richmond's 2nd round pick will be not enough to get the deal done unless Lennon is involved in the deal

At least you have talls

:cry:

Thanks for Hamling on a free by the way. He looks to be that rare type of Matty Robbins pick we get from you guys every 15 years. Doesn't seem to be on Callan or Djerrkura or Street level etc
I think it's worked out for the best. Had he stayed either he or Kolodjashnij wouldn't have played at all with Taylor and Lonergan ahead of them. If it was Hamling it'd be his 4th year without a game. Kolo, well out of contract he could have up and left and gone to play with his twin.

Happy for Hamling but glad it enabled Kolo to play. Looks a good prospect.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

what do geelong people think the deal will be?
Still think either 9 and a player OR take the compo and you trade us an expendable player (with late round picks) for 9.

The 2nd scenario gets you then 2 R1 picks you want but we only give up 1.

I think it's worked out for the best. Had he stayed either he or Kolodjashnij wouldn't have played at all with Taylor and Lonergan ahead of them. If it was Hamling it'd be his 4th year without a game. Kolo, well out of contract he could have up and left and gone to play with his twin.

Happy for Hamling but glad it enabled Kolo to play. Looks a good prospect.
About time we got a B grader from you lot though :p

I had my doubts initially but it only took about 4 games from him for me to be a fan. His game against St Kilda was huge I thought and a big reason why we won considering St Kilda smashed us in most areas and got more inside 50s than us.

He plays bigger than what he is because he has speed and can jump and has a great reach to mark/spoil. he's tall (194cm good KPP height) but is lean, dunno if he can put on much more weight, but he'd likely take on the fast athletic key forwards like Cameron, Bruce, Riewoldt, maybe Kennedy etc in the future, similar to what Morris does.

Absolutely gave Jenkins a bath in that final

thats illegal
Not if the trade represents fair value. I.e what you give up is in the ball park of what is expected for pick 9. Trading back Jpod wouldn't be fair value of course but there is a precedent there. It can be done.

Not if the trade represents fair value. I.e what you give up is in the ball park of what is expected for pick 9. Trading back Jpod wouldn't be fair value of course but there is a precedent there. It can be done.
If you trade both this years first rounder and next years first rounder, you're unable to trade first round picks for the next two seasons after that (2017 and 2018).

That's a pretty big restriction...

If you trade both this years first rounder and next years first rounder, you're unable to trade first round picks for the next two seasons after that (2017 and 2018).

That's a pretty big restriction...
Yes that's right and why we're trying to avoid it (I think they even admitted it on Monday). Hence why I am not sure how we'll get Henderson if Walker is out of the deal. 9 is gone this year. Nailed on certainty.

Also why we're trying to get PD with picks from just this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back