The Association Football AFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very pleased with the first 3 picks. Dont know much about Cunningham. SOSOS was always going to be picked up. The pass on the last pick probably to free up the #1 pick in the PSD, possibly for Wright from the Crows
this x 2. Very happy with the 3 talls, Curnow situation proved a blessing for us (as long as he doesn't turn out to be the next Lawrence Angwin lol).

3/4 selections from Collingwood appear to be very left field and in a weak draft in which we only hold late picks I really like this approach, particularly as Hine has an excellent eye for uncovering talent.

3/4 selections from Collingwood appear to be very left field and in a weak draft in which we only hold late picks I really like this approach, particularly as Hine has an excellent eye for uncovering talent.
With weak pick value there's nothing wrong with that approach. With guys like Mathieson and Balic still available I would have been real p*ssed if you somehow still managed 1st round talent like that!

Curnow just seems a bit too vague & dopey for me. Looks a very talented boy, but (and I know I'm stereotyping him massively here) the blow in surfer doesn't strike me as the driven, ultra professional type and while the DUI isn't the end of the world, it's the sort of decision that's indicative of a guy that doesn't plan or pay attention to detail.

Maybe I'm underestimating him, it'll be interesting to watch him over preseason - if I'm right then Carlton will want to hammer that out of him really early. His brother being there will help.

With weak pick value there's nothing wrong with that approach. With guys like Mathieson and Balic still available I would have been real p*ssed if you somehow still managed 1st round talent like that!

Yeah, I was initially disappointed when we took a relative unknown with our first pick considering some of the names that were still available but Hine rarely touches the 'sliders' and has only once deviated from his 'best available' policy to take Thomas before Pendles to ensure we'd get both, so if he see's something in Siers that leads him to rate him above more established talents then I've got no complaints.

Very happy with Milera. Speed, balance, class by foot, likened to Burgoyne, 25 touches 5 goals in a SANFL final this year, Doggies boy and a nephew of Micky O'Loughlin. What's not to like.

Like most people I don't know much about Doedee. From the sounds of things we've grabbed a guy who doesn't have a lot of exposed form (having switched from basketball to footy full time just 12 months ago, hence not being high on any of the phantom drafts), but who is on a steep upwards curve of development.

Not a popular choice at the moment but when you look at our form in the first round of the draft under Noble & Ogilvie - Dangerfield, Davis, Gunston, Talia, Smith, Crouch x2, Lever.. Like everyone else we have mixed results in the later rounds of the draft, but in the first round we simply don't miss, so you've got to back their judgement again here.

Drafted as a 'medium defender' but I wouldn't be surprised to see him groomed as a midfielder because we obviously have a surplus of the latter. Good size (187cm), strongly built, from the footage we have he looks to have clean hands, balance & poise in traffic, decent kick, noted in most of his bios as being very strong in 1 v 1 contests. Really excited to see how he goes over preseason.

Curnow just seems a bit too vague & dopey for me. Looks a very talented boy, but (and I know I'm stereotyping him massively here) the blow in surfer doesn't strike me as the driven, ultra professional type and while the DUI isn't the end of the world, it's the sort of decision that's indicative of a guy that doesn't plan or pay attention to detail.

Maybe I'm underestimating him, it'll be interesting to watch him over preseason - if I'm right then Carlton will want to hammer that out of him really early. His brother being there will help.
Not overly concerned, most people probably thought the same of Ed at the start of his career (DUI aside) with the same boofy hair and dopey look and he's turned out to be the fittest and hardest working player at Carlton. I'm sure with his older brother keeping an eye on him he will be fine, probably a good thing for both parties that he came to us.

I like Carlton's draft. Won't help them much next year but who cares. Load up on talls for the future. Next years draft his heavy on good mids so they can add some class next year.
Not sure how we'll go about getting multiple 1st rounders again. Only player with any currency is Gibbs and we are already very light on midfield depth so hard to see him leave. Hopefully SOS can work out some good pick swapping for with the Northern state sides to help them with academy selections, otherwise we will be having something like pick 1-4 and our next one being 19-25 which won't be enough

Not sure how we'll go about getting multiple 1st rounders again. Only player with any currency is Gibbs and we are already very light on midfield depth so hard to see him leave. Hopefully SOS can work out some good pick swapping for with the Northern state sides to help them with academy selections, otherwise we will be having something like pick 1-4 and our next one being 19-25 which won't be enough
1-4 should net you a very good player. next years draft is much stronger so there should be a good prospect available at 19-25. The mid-late picks are where recruiters make their mony

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1-4 should net you a very good player. next years draft is much stronger so there should be a good prospect available at 19-25. The mid-late picks are where recruiters make their mony
That was said about this years draft last year.

really? i thought it was known that this draft was all over the shop a fair way out. A lot more top end talent next year.
I remember it being called that. 2014 was being called weak just before the draft, while being called strong in 2013.

I remember it being called that. 2014 was being called weak just before the draft, while being called strong in 2013.
i've heard that next years draft is the best since the superdraft. Hope there is some talent left at Pick 18 :rainbow:

really? i thought it was known that this draft was all over the shop a fair way out. A lot more top end talent next year.

They also said that this would be a predominantly midfielder's draft. 9 of the players taken in yesterday's top 20 were 'talls', 5 of the top 15 were over 195cm. Interesting how it eventuated relative to these predictions!

I posted this on the Crows board a while back and I think it's pretty relevant given the way the first round played out yesterday:
I've heard Harry McKay mentioned as an option for our first pick a few times and I'm a bit wary - these giant, 200cm, big marking tall forwards have been all the rage in the first round over the last 3-4 years, with some very early picks spent on securing the likes of Day, Dixon, Lynch, Patton, Boyd, Daniher, Wright & Apeness. These types are always hyped up massively around draft time (3 are tipped to go in the top 20 this year - Schache, Weideman & McKay), but are they your best bet if you're looking for an elite key position forward with one of those early picks?

Compare those names and their performances to date relative to what we've seen from the likes of Gunston, Cameron, Darling, Stringer, Hogan, McCarthy, McCartin - you can even go back further to Tex and Josh Kennedy. It seems to me that the more skillful, mobile forwards around the 190-195cm mark are probably a safer bet, and once you get over ~196cm (6'5"), that forward had better have some pretty exceptional traits other than just being physically imposing and a strong mark to be worth the investment of a top 10 pick. That might be enough to dominate at under 18 level, but in the AFL I feel a few of these guys get caught out when it becomes apparent that they can't just rag doll defenders and take chest marks all day.

Last edited:

Vague and dopey in what regard?

Looks like he'll become a very good footballer.

Hell, Madden was the dopiest bastard you'd ever meet and he was still a gun for us for many years.

They also said that this would be a predominantly midfielder's draft. 9 of the players taken in yesterday's top 20 were 'talls', 4 of the top 15 were over 195cm. Interesting how it eventuated relative to these predictions! I posted this on the Crows board a while back and I think it's pretty relevant given the way the first round played out yesterday:
in the age of 190cm midfielders it's not terribly surprising that forwards are now being drafted at 200cm. Curnow is indicative of this with many projecting him to eventually go into the midfield with Cripps. Generally those bigger blokes do need to have other strings to their bow, particularly as a second ruckman where they need to be able to compete with massive rucks around the 200cm mark. The bigger blokes do take longer so it's a bit early to pass judgement on Peter Wright imo. Day, Dixon, Lynch, Patton, Boyd and Daniher will be/are v good players so not sure what your point is really. Sure, there are freaks like Stringer but guys like Cameron (196cm) and Hogan (195) aren't exactly small. Stringer and Gunston aren't really key forward (no.1) types either. Darling is a bit different as an elite midfielder who had a late growth spurt.

Harry McKay will be able to play forward and be able to ruck when he fills out, as will his brother.

Additionally, Carlton have farrkkk all in the KPP department so it made sense for them to go heavy in KPP's as part of a long term list management strategy. They would have gone for mids and flankers if they had their KPP's covered. The Dees needed Weiderman to give Hogan a chop out (gets double and even triple teamed atm). On Schache, he is an elite kick for goal, a good size and is happy to stay in Brissy (the later being a major factor in his selection). On paper, the Brions have a good midfield and although i don't rate Keays as highly as others, he will make the grade. So it's a combo of needs, long term list management and best available. For all we know, if you guys hadn't traded for Menzel, you may have taken Burton. You guys have a stacked forward line and lost your best mid so it made sense for the Crows to look to add run and carry through the midfield with Milera. You've got 2 young Key Defenders which would have heavily influenced your decision to pass on B. McKay and Collins.

Due to the loading up on talls, i was delighted that Hibberd in particular was available at our 3rd selection.

Hell, Madden was the dopiest bastard you'd ever meet and he was still a gun for us for many years.
Callan Ward and Lachie Hansen are the dumbest blokes in the AFL. Love Callan Ward's game and Hansen has had a good career.

Yeah I know what you mean. Tex isn't exactly Einstein, but I'm not talking about IQ.

I watched a few of his interviews, and he just doesn't seem particularly switched on. Maybe that lackadaisical, carefree surfer vibe is just his style, maybe he's actually meticulous with his preparation and attitude to football and he just doesn't interview well. Like I said I'm obviously stereotyping him massively here, but for me he just didn't give off a good first impression. Compare him to guys like Weitering and Francis and the way they presented during interviews and you'll see what I mean.

Plenty of people get picked up for DUI so while it's not ideal it's obviously not a deal breaker, but choosing to drink drive 1 week out from the biggest day of your entire life to me isn't exactly indicative of a guy that is taking this particularly seriously at the moment. I could be completely wrong about him, but even if I'm right, I'm sure a few months of pre-season with his brother breathing down his neck will straighten him up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back