The average fan thinks...

Remove this Banner Ad

That Inside 50's are over-rated. Seriously, who gives a s**t how many times the ball goes inside 50. It's no use if you don't get a scoring shot. Could have 40 Inside 50's a game but whats the point if you only have like 5 scoring shots.

You actually answer your own question. Inside 50's tell us how often the ball was up that end of the ground. As you say if a side gets it in 40 times and only has 5 scoring shots it tells you they won enough of the ball around the ground but didnt use it well when going into their forward 50. So it tells you where they were let down in the way they played/executed.

Going by your argument on who gives a s**t if they only score five times'', then you could apply that to any stat except goals and points.

One for eagles fans.
Tony Notte just needs one more pre season in the gym and he is going to be a gun.
Haha we were saying that for years before we finally gave up and delisted him

Kind of veering off topic, but I genuinely don't understand how an 18-year-old can be as skinny as he was when drafted (194cm, 71kg IIRC). I mean, did he even eat as a teenager?

That Dustin Fletcher has actually 'earned' the past two and a half seasons worth of games.
When in reality he's being gifted games and is unaware of the fact he actually sucks. Someone should really let him in on the joke, it's embarrassing to watch.
Chael called it....Where's my medal? I'll hang it up next to my middleweight belt I stole from Anderson like a gangster in the night.

...And once again undefeated and undisputed.

... that their club is the only club that participated in the draft and they've now got some promising young talent, therefore they're certainties to finish higher than the did last season.

... that their club is the only club that participated in the draft and they've now got some promising young talent, therefore they're certainties to finish higher than the did last season.

Yeah, that part always amuses me as well. Although, it's not only BigFooty supporters who think that way. Listen to any football interview from any club, they're always on about the fact they have "young kids", as if no other team in the competition have been drafting at all. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kind of veering off topic, but I genuinely don't understand how an 18-year-old can be as skinny as he was when drafted (194cm, 71kg IIRC). I mean, did he even eat as a teenager?

Tall teenage players don't work as hard on their body as they spend more time injured and their greater height gives them a sense of greater ability.

Tall teenage players don't work as hard on their body as they spend more time injured and their greater height gives them a sense of greater ability.

Even though, it'd still be pretty uncommon for a physically active, healthy 17-18 year old male to be that skinny.

I know everyone has a different physical make-up, but to use myself as an example, I was 194cm and 88kg at age 18, and this was playing club, school and social basketball five-six days a week for the previous four-five years (so I was very much in shape), and having never at that stage lifted a weight or done a gym session in my life. Trimming 17kg off my frame would have made me positively anorexic. Notte must have had seriously poor genetics (maybe not, considering his height) or been seriously undernourished to have been that skinny.

Last edited:
Even though, it'd still be pretty uncommon for a physically active, healthy 17-18 year old male to be that skinny.

I know everyone has a different physical make-up, but to use myself as an example, I was 194cm and 88kg at age 18, and this was playing club, school and social basketball five-six days a week for the previous four-five years (so I was very much in shape), and having never at that stage lifted a weight or done a gym session in my life. Trimming 17kg off my frame would have made me positively anorexic. Notte must have had seriously poor genetics (maybe not, considering his height) or been seriously undernourished to have been that skinny.

That's what makes me think these blokes don't train hard enough or eat properly.

On top of that US high school sports programs are reasonably serious with proper fitness and conditioning and high school players likely did more than 1 sport.

TBH, we're quite poor in Australia at preparing our junior athletes for the "next level", both physically and mentally. I think because we still have the mindset that sport is a recreational thing, rather than a genuinely "valid" career path. I mean, there aren't the millions to be made in elite sport here that there are in the US, but you're still going to make more money and get more opportunities as a footballer than in most other professions, particularly if you're going straight from high school into the workforce. I mean, the fact that someone like Tom Scully not drinking alcohol (when he was underage anyway) prior to be drafted being seen as some sort of "big commitment" to fitness and preparation from a junior athlete probably shows how relatively little is being done to train and prepare our junior athletes. I know it takes money and coaching, but there also could (or "should", depending on the importance you place on it) be a change of mindset from both the kids themselves and their parents going forward, to prepare and produce better athletes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back