The Backline

Remove this Banner Ad

Tiger7374

Club Legend
Feb 12, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
G'day all...long time lurker, first thread time.

So our backline...went all right last year...and the midfield didn't help it last game (I went...saddest sport day of my life fyi)

Structural setup required...small stopper, 2 bigs, 3rd man floater, 2 Hodgeys

Bigs: Astbury is one, we know Rance can be the other...any chance Ellis could be a power stopper and release the Tross to 3rd man floater? It would seem Grimes and Chaplin can't perform the CHB role.

3rd Floater: Grimes, Chaplin, Bachelor (Grimes isn't big on counterattack, Jake has more, Chaplin has form there)...geez we would be good if it was Tross

Stopper: Morris, Hunt...left off anyone? Lock down and go forward with the pill...nothing too fancy

Hodgeys: Houli, Newman, Dea, Lennon, Vaustin, Conca, Lids (in trouble if the Rolls Royce has to go back again....)...any others I missed?

Get the mix right and we will have so much ball in the forward line...

Thoughts? Preferred setup?

G'day all...long time lurker, first thread time.

So our backline...went all right last year...and the midfield didn't help it last game (I went...saddest sport day of my life fyi)

Structural setup required...small stopper, 2 bigs, 3rd man floater, 2 Hodgeys

Bigs: Astbury is one, we know Rance can be the other...any chance Ellis could be a power stopper and release the Tross to 3rd man floater? It would seem Grimes and Chaplin can't perform the CHB role.

3rd Floater: Grimes, Chaplin, Bachelor (Grimes isn't big on counterattack, Jake has more, Chaplin has form there)...geez we would be good if it was Tross

Stopper: Morris, Hunt...left off anyone? Lock down and go forward with the pill...nothing too fancy

Hodgeys: Houli, Newman, Dea, Lennon, Vaustin, Conca, Lids (in trouble if the Rolls Royce has to go back again....)...any others I missed?

Get the mix right and we will have so much ball in the forward line...

Thoughts? Preferred setup?

Actually Dea could also sit in the Stopper category and Hunt in the Hodgey category...

Stable six or stable group with a stable plan Nut?

Injuries, form...there is a preferred six I agree...but they will all have a part to play over the season

The important thing is to have a stable back 6 so they get to know what each one is thinking... ..... I have concerns with Morris training forward.

Is that where he is training? Well can only assume he is being given the chance to think outside the square and hence being better prepared to deal with it on the last line OR they want him to be Jake the 2nd...

I assume you mean Elton? He's yet to really clamp down on anyone at VFL level, let alone release our AA CHB to a 3rd tall role.

My guess at this stage is:

FB: Newman Astbury Chaplin
HB: Houli Rance .......

The blank spot could be filled by any of Batchelor, Hunt, Vlastuin, Lennon, McIntosh, Menadue or Drummond.

Welcome btw :)

Lol oops that's him Elton..

I thought he was set as CHB in the VFL...I read good hands and string body...plus he has been trying for 4 years..should have a decent tank by now...

Would really like him to push Newman out of the side this year

I don't for one moment doubt Newy's joy to compete, simply his capacity to run with an opponent, run out the game. We and I suspect he expect him not to be the first selected...

I'm actually looking for Grimes to lift this year I think with his phisyque pace and wiry frame he be perfect for third man up. Love to see Macintosh of HB or even Drummond or dugong. Lennon's kicking of HB could be dangerous, hope he has picked up some pace if has been pencilled in for that position.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm actually looking for Grimes to lift this year I think with his phisyque pace and wiry frame he be perfect for third man up. Love to see Macintosh of HB or even Drummond or dugong. Lennon's kicking of HB could be dangerous, hope he has picked up some pace if has been pencilled in for that position.
Grimes is a ripper , another season from him without injury will be a great year . We can't be too tall.

I assume you mean Elton? He's yet to really clamp down on anyone at VFL level, let alone release our AA CHB to a 3rd tall role.

My guess at this stage is:

FB: Newman Astbury Chaplin
HB: Houli Rance .......

The blank spot could be filled by any of Batchelor, Hunt, Vlastuin, Lennon, McIntosh, Menadue or Drummond.

Welcome btw :)

Newman - too old
Chaplin - too crap

Hunt - tagger

Vlastuin. - to the guts

Lennon. - good option for hbf, ditto the rest of them too.

Morris. Astbury. Grimes.
Brandon Ellis. Rance. Houli

The little i've seen of Frank this year i reckon he is ready to become an integral part of our back line again.

This is Chaplin's last year, yes?

So unless Elton releases Tross, we don't expect Elton to be the floater...means Chaplin and Grimes are in direct competition for that spot. Imagine if he did tho...we have a spare flank...cos Tross has initiative in spades.

Bachelor (brave, good in the air..initiative??) is in competition for the opposite flank to Houli...with Lennon (unknown quantity, skilled but), B Eliis (rather he runs all day personally), Vaustin (brave, skilled, initiative??)...any of the new kids?

Chaplin is shocking for mine, teams go thou his opponent cause know there is a lot more chance of it ending a goal, than going via the rance route. You'd hope it is his last year.

According to the coach Astbury was leading the best and fairest and he looks good as full back. Leaving rance as the chb and grimes #3.

Key defender is the only spot whe there is no depth. Darrou was delisted and Elton done nothing, probably showed more as a forward really.

Hardwick likes playing bachelor of guys two foot taller than him. Which is a worry.jessie white types

Last edited:
Tross knows this, we know this....

On another thread, Tross and Ivan are the two guys I think we all agree we are likely to lose a game without. Cotch, Lids, Dusty, Jack...if not playing...we can try to cover them...means we don't win by as much.

Pay him what's right...

Couldn't agree more. Normally I agree with the be smart with money.But s**t you'd make an exception for the all Australian. moreso, when your back up is blokes usually in hospital; grimes, Astbury (whom are both excellent prospects IMHO ', just injury prone sadly). Leaving you with bloody Chaplin and Elton....

I'm still a bit shocked they Clubdid not chase frawley, and Darrou who I've always liked got the ass. I just watched the saints inter club. Can't believe richmond didn't trade for a higher draft pick and go for Goddard. If you look at the ff and chf depth, it's significantly strongly than the key backs, IMO

Last edited:
He is worth what the WA boys want to pay him..its right to pay him what we pay Cotch. Hope he is ok with the haircut...

The Chappy strategy is clear now...and he has played good footy overall...never meant to take a gorilla....cover Tross as he developed & allow Grimes or Batchelor to grow into their physiques.

Playing loose man is nothing special

Almost everyone can do it. Even bloody Grigg.

Were as Astbury CAN take the gorilla (to the extent that the full back was winning the b and f if you believe dimma). Freeing up grimes to play where ever the MC want, and allowing rance to go CHB and attack, that he is good at

As a side note, the best back six would have lids as the back pocket / hodge. But you want him forward and mid too. He can't be everywhere. If you trust the mids are going to win the ball, play him forward.

Last edited:
Which is why I think we can only play Lids up forward with 3 talks....firstly we max out his competive advantages...and we acknowledge that backline ball quality is diminished...hence we give the backline mobile contested marking options for clearing kicks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back