The Backline

Remove this Banner Ad

Playing loose man is nothing special

Almost everyone can do it. Even bloody Grigg.

Were as Astbury CAN take the gorilla (to the extent that the full back was winning the b and f if you believe dimma). Freeing up grimes to play where ever the MC want, and allowing rance to go CHB and attack, that he is good at

As a side note, the best back six would have lids as the back pocket / hodge. But you want him forward and mid too. He can't be everywhere. If you trust the mids are going to win the ball, play him forward.
Lets set things straight, Elton has shown more at VFL level in defence not forward as you said above
Astbury leading (or top 2) of the B&F before he went down is fact as we have a progressive points total displayed on the night and he was up in the top 2
You seem to love to comment on the Richmond board, so either buy a membership and support us like you really want to or piss off and stop bagging some of our players

Competition for spots is the real key for this year. Whilst a set back six is ideal we no longer need to play a bloke out of form because there isn't much else.

The little i've seen of Frank this year i reckon he is ready to become an integral part of our back line again.
It's all about fitness with him and to be honest he looked a goner in the early part of last year but by mid year he seemed to regain some pace. Hard worker and will put his best foot forward.

This is Chaplin's last year, yes?

So unless Elton releases Tross, we don't expect Elton to be the floater...means Chaplin and Grimes are in direct competition for that spot. Imagine if he did tho...we have a spare flank...cos Tross has initiative in spades.

Bachelor (brave, good in the air..initiative??) is in competition for the opposite flank to Houli...with Lennon (unknown quantity, skilled but), B Eliis (rather he runs all day personally), Vaustin (brave, skilled, initiative??)...any of the new kids?
1 more year I think after this year.

The signs for our backline look real good after seeing Elton Grimes Batch and Lennon apart from his kick ins. Elton was very very good as all have mentioned also we're the other blokes. Hopefully at some stage Elton will force his way into the 1s to be the 3rd man up. Still early days though. I'm still betting on Grimes to have breakout year. And hope out of the these boys we get a quality rebounder.
Question, could we have a Grimey play the same role as Morris in the BP?

Grimes Astbury Elton / Chaplin
Houli. . Rance. Batch

It's heating up

Last edited:
4 year contract and fully capable . Has played well for 80% of games for the club and should see his contract out well I reckon. Could be a valuable swingman IMO

We will be a lot better off when he is in the VFL rather then still getting named in our best 22. Struggles defensively and is a turnover merchant. Praying that Elton takes over his spot sooner rather than later

Were as Astbury CAN take the gorilla (to the extent that the full back was winning the b and f if you believe dimma).

you seem unconvinced by this. and you would be right, although not by much.... (and I think the votes to that point include the game in which he got injured, which may have hurt his votes).

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2014-10-01/greenbergs-grabs-from-the-2014-jack-dyer-medal

"David Astbury’s emergence as a key defender early in the season, before suffering his second kneecap dislocation, was confirmed with his Jack Dyer Medal voting.
Astbury polled 91 votes in the eight games he played.
Cotchin was the only player to collect more votes up to that stage of the season (94 votes)."

We will be a lot better off when he is in the VFL rather then still getting named in our best 22. Struggles defensively and is a turnover merchant. Praying that Elton takes over his spot sooner rather than later
He'll have his time that he gets taken over by a young gun and this year if he's out of form I'd expect Elton to get games instead of Hardwick giving Chappy a free ride for 6 weeks but his best footy is good enough and although the 4 year contract he got made me nervous when he first came over ( especially with the knee injury rumours) I reckon the 4 years is bang on and a well timed contract for him and us. By the end of year 4 we will well and truley have a replacement and he still could be adding to the club in 1st grade or the VFL in his last year .

It was his fault the coach kept picking him last year while he was stinking it up in the first half of the year . His second half was very solid and 2013 was a great year.

you seem unconvinced by this. and you would be right, although not by much.... (and I think the votes to that point include the game in which he got injured, which may have hurt his votes).

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2014-10-01/greenbergs-grabs-from-the-2014-jack-dyer-medal

"David Astbury’s emergence as a key defender early in the season, before suffering his second kneecap dislocation, was confirmed with his Jack Dyer Medal voting.
Astbury polled 91 votes in the eight games he played.
Cotchin was the only player to collect more votes up to that stage of the season (94 votes)."

I am unconvinced the club rated Astbury as the #1 player

and yet he will be dropped to accommodate Chaplin. Or Grimes, who is also far better, and in the leadership group at 19 or so.

It seems wastful not getting games into them for mine. Not to mentioned Elton.

and yet he will be dropped to accommodate Chaplin. Or Grimes, who is also far better, and in the leadership group at 19 or so.

You're wrong

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The defence looks like it will a strength this year. We now have an abundance of KPD. This use to be one our biggest weaknesses with a defenders being monstered by opposition "Gorillas".
We do need more rebound and hopefully Lennon will eventually take on the half back role. Was impressed with Bachelor, he looks like has improved over the preseason. Grimes also looked good and was especially impressed with Todd Elton. Will be interested if Grimes can take on the lock down role on a small forward to replace Morris.

The defence looks like it will a strength this year. We now have an abundance of KPD. This use to be one our biggest weaknesses with a defenders being monstered by opposition "Gorillas".
We do need more rebound and hopefully Lennon will eventually take on the half back role. Was impressed with Bachelor, he looks like has improved over the preseason. Grimes also looked good and was especially impressed with Todd Elton. Will be interested if Grimes can take on the lock down role on a small forward to replace Morris.

Yes that's what I'm thinking too in terms of Grimes. Lennon needs to build confidence, can see he is a superb kick but loses it sometimes

Could you imagine

Grimes. Astbury. Elton
Houli. . . Rance. . .Lids

Ellis. . . . Vlas. . . . Hunt

Martin. . Griffiths . Knights
Edward Jack. . . . Vickery

Maric. . Cotchin. . Miles

Batch. . Lennon. . Conca. . Morris

Gordon or Lambert

Exciting times

Last edited:

Are you saying Astbury will be dropped for Chaplin? That is bollox, its more likely Grimes if we don't play 4 talls.

It could be the case as 3 talls won't always be the best set up depending on sides .

One of Astbury or Chappy might have to start on the bench and play swingman this year I'd make it Astbury .

That way we have a CHF when Griff is in the ruck and Maric is on the bench plus the backman can get a rest.

Vickers game on Saturday did nothing to inspire me that we can play a 3 tall forward line this year without the ball coming back out quicker than it went in and opposition clubs setting up on us from half back .

But Dimma wasn't saying that - just that he was up the top of the B&F. Semantics though. Time will tell how the back 6 is picked, but I expect Astbury (injury free of course) to be picked unless he really stinks it up in the remaining games. For the first time ina very long time it's looking like a tough decision (for the right reasons).

@ infamy

In that case, then Grimes will be dropped.

Which would be a large Shame. As IMO, he is easily best 22.

IMO, rance astbury Grimes are all significantly ahead of Chaplin. So who ever is dropped to fit troy in is very stiff. And poor move in regards to development. As they are all at the stage where they should play as often as possible

Last edited:
@ infamy

In that case, then Grimes will be dropped.

Which would be a large Shame. As IMO, he is easily best 22.

IMO, rance astbury Grimes are all significantly ahead of Chaplin. So who ever is dropped to fit troy in is very stiff. And poor move in regards to development. As they are all at the stage where they should play as often as possible
How about you wait until the Round 1 team is announced before you lose your mind ok?

I've been losing my mind over hardwick selection for years. So I can't see the point of waiting.

As I said; one of astbury (#1 b and f) and Grimes (top player IMO, leadership group as teenager) will miss out.

Very saddening.

I wonder who will miss out for grigg. Vlastuin? Hunt? Knights?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back