The Beer Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

I just noticed.. Pretty rough having Redback amongst that lot. :(

I mean, it's not great, sure. But it's better than the rest of those fuglies.
Just quietly, I wouldn't put too much stock in esti's taste in beer.

Redback is a great drop, but its all subjective.

I will be purchasing a block of Emu Export for camping this weekend.

I just noticed.. Pretty rough having Redback amongst that lot. :(

I mean, it's not great, sure. But it's better than the rest of those fuglies.

They've grown on me slightly since I wrote that, still not a favourite though. I think it's an acquired taste.

Don't know what I was thinking putting Pure Blonde and Hahn Super Dry in the top division though, relegated for sure since I wrote that.

Personally I reckon little creatures pale ale is as overrated as it gets.

It's like hipster beer for people who hate corona.

Are you comparing the two in terms of taste, or as an image thing?

Because I don't think they taste even remotely similar.

Are you comparing the two in terms of taste, or as an image thing?

Because I don't think they taste even remotely similar.
No, not comparing them at all. Corona is actually a lager.

Comparing beer drinkers. I personally think that little creatures pale ale is crap but everyone loves to love it and I reckon corona is not bad and everyone loves to hate it.

Definitely. As much as I enjoy a nice cold beer I'll be honest and admit I wouldn't drink it if it didn't have alcohol in.

And I certainly wouldn't sit there and drink 10 of them in a row.
image.jpg
image.jpg

I haven't had a Corona for ages. I've gone off Asahi lately too, which used to be my favourite beer.

I don't know how people can drink one type of beer their whole lives, I get bored too easily.

I've been home brewing for about a year now so in that time I have been given a buttload of beer from whenever mates come round and drink from my kegs.

I get plenty of corona and even though I don't drink it that often, I find it a great beer to have on a hot day, it is never offensive and almost everyone will drink it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been home brewing for about a year now so in that time I have been given a buttload of beer from whenever mates come round and drink from my kegs.

From scratch or from a can kit?

I gave up homebrewing (kit style) after a couple of years because the quality just wasn't worth the effort, and I couldn't be bothered brewing from scratch.

Maybe you need one of these esti:

http://www.williamswarn.com

That looks awesome. Pretty clever invention; who says alcohol rots your brain?

I'd definitely prefer the creative freedom to brew my own beer lazy-man style like that if I had the dosh, but at $6k a pop it's going to have to go on the long term wishlist.

If I quit drinking now I should have enough beer money stashed away to buy one in two and a half years.

It looks pretty limited to be honest. Really, it is a conical fermenter, with a temp control system and a co2 / draft system attached. It looks great and some of the ball valves etc. look really swanky, but they sort of solve problems that don't really exist.

It doesn't seem to have a heating element that I could see, which means that you can't boil in it. Boiling is important if you want to add fresh hops for bittering, aroma or flavour and they need to be boiled for a certain amount of time. If you can't boil in it and you have to go the kitchen to do your brewing anyway, you might as well just put your wort (unfermented beer) into a plastic fermenter and put that into an old fridge with a temp controller on it.

It looks like that system you are pretty well limited to pre-hopped extract cans, not to mention being limited to one beer at a time.

From scratch or from a can kit?

I gave up homebrewing (kit style) after a couple of years because the quality just wasn't worth the effort, and I couldn't be bothered brewing from scratch.

I use Coopers cans as the basis for most of my beers then I add extra light dry malt extract, fresh hops and usually a better yeast.

Did you control your fermentation temperature when you were brewing? Imo that is the most important factor in the beer quality alongside cleanliness and sanitation. I put my fermenters into an old fridge and set the temp controller to whatever the yeast temperature needs to be (usually 18 degrees celsius for ales and 9 for lagers).

You can get reasonable results brewing ales without temp control in the cooler months but it is impossible to brew a lager without temperature control. In fact, the beer needs the temperature changed a couple of times during fermentation and it needs cold storage for the better part of 2 months before it should even be at drinking stage. Most lager kits actually come with ale yeasts or ale / lager mixed yeasts.

Little Creatures Pale Ale feels like a little creature has made your head pale afterwards.

I have been shopping at the Liquor Shed near Jandakot Airport and have got six of those Saku's. Have started drinking the Porter, and it tastes good. I love my dark ales.

It looks pretty limited to be honest. Really, it is a conical fermenter, with a temp control system and a co2 / draft system attached. It looks great and some of the ball valves etc. look really swanky, but they sort of solve problems that don't really exist.

It doesn't seem to have a heating element that I could see, which means that you can't boil in it. Boiling is important if you want to add fresh hops for bittering, aroma or flavour and they need to be boiled for a certain amount of time. If you can't boil in it and you have to go the kitchen to do your brewing anyway, you might as well just put your wort (unfermented beer) into a plastic fermenter and put that into an old fridge with a temp controller on it.

It looks like that system you are pretty well limited to pre-hopped extract cans, not to mention being limited to one beer at a time.
While this is true, you're not limited to one beer at a time as you're able to bottle the brew and start another one.

Little Creatures Pale Ale feels like a little creature has made your head pale afterwards.

I have been shopping at the Liquor Shed near Jandakot Airport and have got six of those Saku's. Have started drinking the Porter, and it tastes good. I love my dark ales.

The Saku porter was not what I was suspected. It was sweet rather than bitter; reminded me of Czech and German dark lager (dunkel). The Saku lager was nice. I recommend Laska, only $10 for three 500ml bottles.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back