The Beer Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, but the American craft beer scene has had a massive impact on beer making around the world. Especially here and in the UK (Take LC pale ale for example).

To say American beer is crap is ultra simplistic.

sierra-nevada-pale-ale.jpg

Bit hard to judge American beers when we only really have a access to a handful of the mass marketed stuff over here. Saying that, I don't mind Buddweiser, regardless of what I've heard some people say about it being the US version of Fosters.

I do find their beers tend to be a little too light and dry, but that's probably down to being brought up on different styles of beer.

I wonder what the yanks would think about our beers if all they had tasted was VB/TED/Coldies/Pure Blonde/Export etc.

Yeah, but the American craft beer scene has had a massive impact on beer making around the world. Especially here and in the UK (Take LC pale ale for example).

To say American beer is crap is ultra simplistic.

sierra-nevada-pale-ale.jpg

I was being ultra simplistic. Just sounded like a strange combination. Generally I love Belgian beer and generally American beer is crap.

Sierra Nevada is the best US beer I've tasted and if that's an indication of the craft scene then it's clearly head and shoulders above mainstream. I tried their Torpedo Extra IPA and their Porter as well and all three were delicioso. :thumbsu:

Uurgh.. I wasn't talking about US Craft beers. If you gave me one of them I wouldn't be turning my nose up at it.

Exactly. ;)

I was being ultra simplistic. Just sounded like a strange combination. Generally I love Belgian beer and generally American beer is crap.
It's not like they're going to cross a budweiser with a monk tripel.
Sierra Nevada is the best US beer I've tasted and if that's an indication of the craft scene then it's clearly head and shoulders above mainstream. I tried their Torpedo Extra IPA and their Porter as well and all three were delicioso. :thumbsu:
If you get the chance:

wpid-2011-04-20_19-59-44_46.jpg

Friggen brilliant.

US hops. Belgium malts and yeast. Throw in some candied sugar to top it off; no idea where that is from but candied sugar sounds American.

American beer is generally all rubbish.

As is Australian beer. Fosters, VB, CD, SD, EE, EB, MB... the list of rubbish beers goes on and on. Even Coopers only have one style that I enjoy. If you want to drink rubbish beer, you don't have to go any further than your local.

In my experience you can walk into any bar in the US, try a local brew on tap and it will be fantastic. Worst case - much like Australia - you will have to settle for something in a bottle. A small price to pay for deliciousness. Population/demand has a lot to do with it, but the microbrewery scene in the US leaves the rest of the world for dead.

Plus, given there probably wouldn't be a Little Creatures without the inspiration given from the US microbrewery scene, we have a LOT to be thankful for.

US hops. Belgium malts and yeast. Throw in some candied sugar to top it off; no idea where that is from but candied sugar sounds American.

As is Australian beer. Fosters, VB, CD, SD, EE, EB, MB... the list of rubbish beers goes on and on. Even Coopers only have one style that I enjoy. If you want to drink rubbish beer, you don't have to go any further than your local.

In my experience you can walk into any bar in the US, try a local brew on tap and it will be fantastic. Worst case - much like Australia - you will have to settle for something in a bottle. A small price to pay for deliciousness. Population/demand has a lot to do with it, but the microbrewery scene in the US leaves the rest of the world for dead.

Plus, given there probably wouldn't be a Little Creatures without the inspiration given from the US microbrewery scene, we have a LOT to be thankful for.
You forgot Carlton Coldies & Teds. Gross.

Hmm... a beer called West Coast with a yellow and blue label... I'm on to you Stronz...

Beerfish, you can find that beer at freo doctor bottleshop. Probably also find it at that bottleshop in carlisle that a poster mentoned earlier in the thread.

Sweet. Will check it out.

Halfway through my second carton of Gage Roads Atomic Pale Ale. Thought I'd give it a go since it was on special for $38 and the brewery is just around the corner. Not bad at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Went to the Freo Doctor bottelo last Saturday.. great selection of beer! I had no idea they were even there.

Anyways tried one of these:

beer+-+green+flash+imperial+ipa.JPG

Their IPA. 9.4%. Just tasted like mouthfuls of hops at first. :D Nice beer but couldn't spend a whole night on it. Maybe start out with one.

I'll look to try a few more in the coming weeks. :thumbsu:

EDIT: Just realised your post is the IPA too but the label is green.. they had a green one there but it was something else. Weird.

Maybe.

But when I was in Belgium last year and did some beer tasting, they seemed to be experimenting with all sorts of weird sweet and fruity flavours.

A lot of raspberry and cranberry stuff, and some that tasted like lollies. Strange.

Ever seen a Belgium beer catalogue?

Maybe.

But when I was in Belgium last year and did some beer tasting, they seemed to be experimenting with all sorts of weird sweet and fruity flavours.

A lot of raspberry and cranberry stuff, and some that tasted like lollies. Strange.

Ever seen a Belgium beer catalogue?

Only when I was in Belgium. Beer, chocolate, waffles and a weird cultural fetish regarding small boys peeing. What more could you want?

I may be wrong, but I thought all the strangely flavoured stuff was just their equivalent to UDLs, Cruisers and the like. If you are sitting down at a bar in Grand Place you have to order a beer. I am fairly sure the only alternative order is a cobblestone to the face. Hence, strangely flavoured beers.

Anyone a fan of the Moody Cow beers?

Their full flavoured beers are fantastic.

I think I've tried their Black Dog Pilsner (on tap somewhere down south?) It was pretty decent. I'm not a massive Pilsner fan though, so it isn't something I'd be heading out to buy.

I may be wrong, but I thought all the strangely flavoured stuff was just their equivalent to UDLs, Cruisers and the like.

I ordered a Cherry Kriek beer while I was over there (foul stuff btw), and the bartender must have been laughing at me because for the rest of my Belgian stay I only saw chicks drinking it.

I ordered a Cherry Kriek beer while I was over there (foul stuff btw), and the bartender must have been laughing at me because for the rest of my Belgian stay I only saw chicks drinking it.

LOL. I got scoffed at by some old bloke who sat down next to me whilst I was trying one of my wife's beers. Pretty sure it was a cherry flavoured Hoegaarden.

I did the exaggerated 'Here you go honey, you can have YOUR drink back now' handover after that.

Went to a couple of different bottle o's yesterday, just to shop around, and I noticed that there is a fair bit of new brands being stocked?

That Nevada Pale Ale wasn't bad. Wasn't full of gas like you get with almos everything these days, which was one of the best parts about it.

Also got stung $9 for a 700 mil bottle of some stuff made by a famous chef. Estrella Inedit I think it's called. Bloke behind the counter made the comparison between Moet and your stock standard bubbly, and reckons this stuff is would be the beer equivalent.

As much as I don't often drink high end wine, the few times I've tried a $30-$40 dollar bottle have helped me realise that good drink is pricey for a reason.

At $9 for a long neck though, it better be bloody good stuff.

Bought some Monteith's Black Beer and it's quite nice. Has a little bit of smokeyness to it like Rauchbier, though not as intense. After the first one they go down so smoothly that you could easily have a session on it, but saying that I like heavier fuller flavoured beers.

Definitely think it's worth a try.

Went to a couple of different bottle o's yesterday, just to shop around, and I noticed that there is a fair bit of new brands being stocked?

That Nevada Pale Ale wasn't bad. Wasn't full of gas like you get with almos everything these days, which was one of the best parts about it.

Also got stung $9 for a 700 mil bottle of some stuff made by a famous chef. Estrella Inedit I think it's called. Bloke behind the counter made the comparison between Moet and your stock standard bubbly, and reckons this stuff is would be the beer equivalent.

As much as I don't often drink high end wine, the few times I've tried a $30-$40 dollar bottle have helped me realise that good drink is pricey for a reason.

At $9 for a long neck though, it better be bloody good stuff.

Bought some Monteith's Black Beer and it's quite nice. Has a little bit of smokeyness to it like Rauchbier, though not as intense. After the first one they go down so smoothly that you could easily have a session on it, but saying that I like heavier fuller flavoured beers.

Definitely think it's worth a try.

I bought a choc stout last week for my wife. Same deal, made by a chef.

720917_0_9999_sml_v1_m56577569845421058.jpg
http://danmurphys.com.au/dm/navigat...alse&iframe=true&qProductCode=845524441983450

Mildura Brewery Choc Hops Stout

I had a taste last night and it was magnificent. It was only $5 a bottle so pretty happy with the deal.

I bought a 6 pack of James Squire Porter at the same time.
Also bought a couple of long neck bottles of Hoppy Heffe.

Quite happy to be paying a bit extra for some different beers.

Had a pint of Colonial Pale ale for lunch last friday, thought it was fantastic. Although, that might've been because I was having a pint during work hours but I digress.
For a pale ale it was very dark though. I kinda did the bewildered dogs' head turn when he was pouring it, but s**t it was good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back