The benchwarmers

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd love him to play but are his skills really up to AFL standards? Appreciate the views from people that have closely watched Peel played. From the televised games I've watched, his skills still seem to rusty.

His skills were never that silky in his 1st year either.A big body who has the ability to break free from congestion and bang it forward is pretty handy.

Sheridan does not provide the forward pressure or goal kicking capacity of Walters or Ballantyne so he is not a replacement. Simpson has shown some potential but could not be described as a "good replacement". Crozier is flashy and can take big marks and kick goals but lacks the polish of Walters and Ballas.

As stated above, Crozier is the most like for like. Would be happy for him to have another run of a few games to establish himself. He needs a breakthrough game though.

His skills were never that silky in his 1st year either.A big body who has the ability to break free from congestion and bang it forward is pretty handy.

Is he doing that in the seconds? From what I've seen on TV, he is playing more like a loose backman and clearing the ball out of the defensive 50. Haven't seen him breaking through congestion.

Sheridan does not provide the forward pressure or goal kicking capacity of Walters or Ballantyne so he is not a replacement. Simpson has shown some potential but could not be described as a "good replacement". Crozier is flashy and can take big marks and kick goals but lacks the polish of Walters and Ballas.

Forward pressure is overrated compared to scoreboard pressure. At the end of the day it's the team with the highest number of goals that gets the 4 points, not the highest number of tackles.

Simpson was better against Essendon than 3 or 4 of the guys guys who played this weekend. And he had 5 tackles in less than a half if "pressure" is all you care about.

Morabito is better than about a dozen guys who played on the weekend, but he's still running around in the magoos for unexplained reasons.

Repeated selection errors this year and last finals series have cost us dearly.

Last edited:
Forward pressure is overrated compared to scoreboard pressure. At the end of the day it's the team with the highest number of goals that gets the 4 points, not the highest number of tackles.

Simpson was better against Essendon than 3 or 4 of the guys guys who played this weekend. And he had 5 tackles in less than a half if "pressure" is all you care about.

Morabito is better than about a dozen guys who played on the weekend, but he's still running around in the magoos for unexplained reasons.

Repeated selection errors this year and last finals series have cost us dearly.

Maybe the club had a plan to play Mora after the bye,****
knows.

Did you specifically hear him say that ?

Nobody has, and it is scuttlebutt that has grown legs.
We are good at it. We did a job on Jack Anthony which was disgraceful.

Until Chris Bond or Ross Lyon come out and say specifically Colin is not playing because he told us to stuff our early start to training, it is just a vicious rumour.

All I have ever seen him do is bloody run laps, 100's of them. Of course that is in between periods of injuries.

Incomprehensible that he is not being given a run in the absence of Barlow let alone when Fyfe was also out as well.

Pavlich gave an interview a week or two back where he clearly stated that Sylvia has had issues from the beginning with settling into the culture of the club (paraphrased).

Read into that what you like, but coming from the skipper I would think that it's obvious that he hasn't "bought in" as required.

It's been widely reported, via quotes from players and staff, that his fitness was not at the level required and we have had eyewitness reports of his attitude at training and then, of course, the mind f***, in the Peel game.

If you think that he should be given a game just because he is COLIN SYLVIA you are mistaken.

We could have recruited Gary Ablett and if he didn't buy in he wouldn't be getting a game either.

It may be frustrating for some, but I support a system which rewards effort and attitude over potential.

Pavlich gave an interview a week or two back where he clearly stated that Sylvia has had issues from the beginning with settling into the culture of the club (paraphrased).

Read into that what you like, but coming from the skipper I would think that it's obvious that he hasn't "bought in" as required.

It's been widely reported, via quotes from players and staff, that his fitness was not at the level required and we have had eyewitness reports of his attitude at training and then, of course, the mind f***, in the Peel game.

If you think that he should be given a game just because he is COLIN SYLVIA you are mistaken.

We could have recruited Gary Ablett and if he didn't buy in he wouldn't be getting a game either.

It may be frustrating for some, but I support a system which rewards effort and attitude over potential.

Otherwise known as cutting your nose off to spite your face.
What is the point if you lose ?

And yes I do think we should have played Colin Sylvia in the Hawthorn game. I have never understood martyrs.

Otherwise known as cutting your nose off to spite your face.
What is the point if you lose ?

And yes I do think we should have played Colin Sylvia in the Hawthorn game. I have never understood martyrs.

That attitude goes against the whole ethos that took us to a GF last year and a premiership fancy this year.

You are advocating a return to the Harvey days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That attitude goes against the whole ethos that took us to a GF last year and a premiership fancy this year.

You are advocating a return to the Harvey days.

I am definitely not.
We are losing games but making a point. Personally I don't see the point.

Would you rather be a principled loser or a compromised winner ?

Lets call it a TALE OF TWO CLUBS; Freo then and Freo Now.

I am definitely not.
We are losing games but making a point. Personally I don't see the point.

Would you rather be a principled loser or a compromised winner ?

Lets call it a TALE OF TWO CLUBS; Freo then and Freo Now.

So, in your world, we pick Sylvia regardless.

Even though the whole squad knows what is expected of them and that Colin hasn't complied with this.

Just how would that selection sit with the kids who miss out on a spot and what would that do to team morale and the clubs culture overall?

We picked Suban and dropped Simpson despite Simpson being much better than Suban last week.

Obviously the whole squad knows what's expected of them alright: Be old, because young blokes get dropped no matter how well they play.

So, in your world, we pick Sylvia regardless.

Even though the whole squad knows what is expected of them and that Colin hasn't complied with this.

Just how would that selection sit with the kids who miss out on a spot and what would that do to team morale and the clubs culture overall?

Exactly; it is a vexed question. Which begs the question, what will they do with Josh ?
Morale won't be too high if we continue to lose.
Would you still feel the same if we were playing in a grand final next week and were faced with this same problem ?
I'll take being a whore any day.

Exactly; it is a vexed question. Which begs the question, what will they do with Josh ?
Morale won't be too high if we continue to lose.
Would you still feel the same if we were playing in a grand final next week and were faced with this same problem ?
I'll take being a whore any day.

Josh will cop his fair whack, as he should.

If this sort of stuff is happening in September, we won't be going too far, or maybe not even get there, so it's a moot point imo.

We picked Suban and dropped Simpson despite Simpson being much better than Suban last week.

Obviously the whole squad knows what's expected of them alright: Be old, because young blokes get dropped no matter how well they play.

Subans a senior player with runs on the board.
Simpsons played one and half game. Its your opinion he was better than Suban
Ross and the match committee ,thank God for all of us dont agree with you.

The point is the standards you are setting makes you a stronger club in the long run.

Mate , we have just done that for 18 years. Beautiful, principled losers, the people's club of losers, entertaining losers, the crazy jumper and embarrassing song losers.
ALive but wrong or dead right. Your call.

Mate , we have just done that for 18 years. Beautiful, principled losers, the people's club of losers, entertaining losers, the crazy jumper and embarrassing song losers.
ALive but wrong or dead right. Your call.

I'd argue giving Sylvia a game before he earns it is far closer to what we've been doing these past 18 years than leaving him in the WAFL out of principle is.

Subans a senior player with runs on the board..

Yeah, he's a senior player, that's the point. Runs on the board? Debateable.

Kids only get a game if the seniors aren't available. This is the same criticism levelled at Lyon by St Kilda supporters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back