Meet Up The best Freo Pub in Melbourne to watch games - Great Northern Hotel

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 2, 2010
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
Many of you have already frequented this venue in the past and discovered the amazing atmosphere when Freo are playing away from Melbourne. Great beer, great food, always got the Freo game on at least 3 screens around the pub.

I'll be down there this Sunday for the Derby, I've booked a big table under the name Seppo if you want to join.

http://www.gnh.net.au/
644 Rathdowne St North Carlton.

One step ahead of you... old mate's already booked a table and rallied the expats. I have two tables to sit at now, which is good because there'll be some chardonnay on our table. Seeya there...

Many of you have already frequented this venue in the past and discovered the amazing atmosphere when Freo are playing away from Melbourne. Great beer, great food, always got the Freo game on at least 3 screens around the pub.

I'll be down there this Sunday for the Derby, I've booked a big table under the name Seppo if you want to join.

http://www.gnh.net.au/
644 Rathdowne St North Carlton.

I like the Rose Hotel in Fitzroy.

Sorry to bump a very old thread, but is there anywhere Freo fans gather these days in Melbourne for a game.
Not sure, I've moved to the country (yes I'm eating peaches). Give the Great Northern a call, they were definitely a Freo-friendly pub a while back.

Funny I was just thinking about the GNH other day. It'll be 10 years since only club GF in September and thus 10 years since the big all-of-board meet we had there the day before.
Maybe we should organise a reunion / fresh meet for the anniversary? Ideally at the GNH in the moderately unlikely event of us making it but otherwise one in Perth on the Friday before the GF?

Funny I was just thinking about the GNH other day. It'll be 10 years since only club GF in September and thus 10 years since the big all-of-board meet we had there the day before.
Maybe we should organise a reunion / fresh meet for the anniversary? Ideally at the GNH in the moderately unlikely event of us making it but otherwise one in Perth on the Friday before the GF?
Wasn't it the Thursday night? The Footy Show (remember that??) did a cross there, outside the purple bus that was parked out front.

Wasn't it the Thursday night? The Footy Show (remember that??) did a cross there, outside the purple bus that was parked out front.
The meetup was definitely Friday. Strategy - BigFooty Melbourne Meet up - Friday 27th Sep
Seppo might have had something else running on the Thursday just for that purpose. The meet was a late afternoon thing too rather than night. I remember getting the tram back into town with i think Lach72 and it was still light (I know weak hey but my excuse was my wife and then 10 month old girl were stuck back the hotel while I was out on the gas..)

I wish we thought to catch up with you when we were over for the Melbourne game! we ended up with Covid, so maybe you dodged a bullet lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The meetup was definitely Friday. Strategy - BigFooty Melbourne Meet up - Friday 27th Sep
Seppo might have had something else running on the Thursday just for that purpose. The meet was a late afternoon thing too rather than night. I remember getting the tram back into town with i think Lach72 and it was still light (I know weak hey but my excuse was my wife and then 10 month old girl were stuck back the hotel while I was out on the gas..)
Well there you go. I joined BF a couple of weeks later so that's my excuse!

Just remembered we were there the previous Saturday night as well to watch the prelim. We gave that place an absolute hiding that week!

It was an amazing night - even Gerard Neesham showed up!

yeah I bailed early…had been on the sauce all afternoon after the parade and I was cooked

Great Northern shifted from being a fully Freo pub through the early-mid 2010s to a generally WA pub when it changed hands. I think they saw the turnout for the derby's being as many Weagles as Wharfs and realised the extra market they could tap. Where you used to see exclusively Freo merch it's now a bit of a hodge podge (the Fyfe wings poster should still be there though).

Still a great pub just not the purple fortress it used to be in the glory days.

I think I may still have a few badges from the 2013 GF meetup. Hard to believe but we were worried that the Freo folks wouldn't be able to find each other so we made up badges...

Yes I'm a dork.

Great Northern shifted from being a fully Freo pub through the early-mid 2010s to a generally WA pub when it changed hands. I think they saw the turnout for the derby's being as many Weagles as Wharfs and realised the extra market they could tap. Where you used to see exclusively Freo merch it's now a bit of a hodge podge (the Fyfe wings poster should still be there though).

Still a great pub just not the purple fortress it used to be in the glory days.

Its part owned by the guys that own Pirate Life, so they still have a pretty good Freo/Fyfe connection

I think I may still have a few badges from the 2013 GF meetup. Hard to believe but we were worried that the Freo folks wouldn't be able to find each other so we made up badges...

Yes I'm a dork.
Nah the badges were a good idea. I mean we're all using nom de plume's right?

I reckon I may have mine somewhere as well...

That pre-GF meetup was a good arvo after the grand final parade. I remember leaving late afternoon to make a function that was included in my grand final package which included a drinks pacakge that myself and the 9 other Freo fans at my table decided to try and make a sizable dent in the overall cost of said package.

To be 24 and have an Iron liver again...

Yes I'm a dork.

I still have mine even after moving house 6 times in the years since then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back