Toast The best win in 33 years

Remove this Banner Ad

Last week was a good loss, if that makes sense. Could be the turning point.
Dimma did say it could make us or break us. much like 3-10 last year (seems like an age ago now) & 2-4 earlier this year when we were drawing lines in the sand & our leaders were talking in the media about standards not being adhered to etc.... it's all added up to make us stronger

An angry hawks fan, funny as.
392283_gl.jpg

First, I always assumed Santa was a Sydney supporter what with him wearing red and white all the time.

Second, I'm very disappointed that he acts like this on his day off.

The finals win against the bombers was the best win since 82. The fact we didn't go on to greater success in the year or two after doesn't take away from the importance of winning that final at the time.

Hard to take that win seriously when it was bookended by 15-goal drubbings to the Grand Finalists

Hard to take that win seriously when it was bookended by 15-goal drubbings to the Grand Finalists
I can assure you it was taken seriously at the time.
A win in any final carries more weight than a home and away win no matter who we are playing. Finals are what it's all about. With any luck we will develop that mindset.
Ask hawthorn what are their most important victories of the last few years. Im sure they will all be finals.

I can assure you it was taken seriously at the time.
A win in any final carries more weight than a home and away win no matter who we are playing. Finals are what it's all about. With any luck we will develop that mindset.
Ask hawthorn what are their most important victories of the last few years. Im sure they will all be finals.

Sorry, my recollection was slightly off. We only had one 15-goal drubbing in that finals series. Unfortunately, though, the team who beat us by 89 points lost the Grand Final by 61 points, which means we were precisely 25 goals off the pace.

A

awesome work bro. Thanks for the pics
Great collection of photos, thanks. :)
That is just begging to be photoshopped.
Cheers :thumbsu: for sharing all those pics Popin. Great stuff. Really capture the emotion of it all - awesome.
You are all very welcome. Private message me Thursday if want photos of this week's game. You guy's are playing exciting football and you play us in a few weeks time for another win probably .

I started off writing this note looking to pour some water on the fire of last weeks result on the basis of however good a win it was there is still so much more to achieve to meet minimum expectations for the year.

Whilst that is the case, I am sure the club is clearly aware of this so no reason why as supporters we shouldn't enjoy the win!

For me though, as enjoyable as it was, I would like this result to be what we expect, rather than having to search for 33 years to find a better result. The great thing is I sense a steely resolve is entrenched in the team at the moment. One that distills anger from a sub 1 goal loss to the ladder leader rather than it being considered a good effort. There is still so much to achieve for this group and nothing but absolute focus will suffice.

So whilst I continue to enjoy the afterglow of Friday's nights match this week, particularly getting to watch the numerous experts have to give us some credit, albeit through gritted teeth, I look forward to the team showing up again on Friday night at the Adelaide oval and continuing to stake our claims for September success.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best win since 82 that game proved the emergance of a great team...im pumped...
Geez I dunno about that. The win against the swannies last year to make the 8 was pretty awesome (we smashed them in the first 15 mins) and the 1995 semi final against the bummers still ranks as the all time greatest match for mine. 44 points down at one stage and then we went ballistic in the third qtr. I've never heard a crowd as loud.

I've been trying to rank this year's wins in my mind. I reckon there is a post-season thread in it. For mine, the Hawthorn win was more enjoyable than the Swans and Freo wins.

1) It was at the MCG, 2) we had a few of our better players out, 3) the Hawks genuinely challenged, got in front, but we responded, and best of all 4) I never felt like the wheels were coming off.

there is still so much more to achieve to meet minimum expectations for the year.

Amen to that, brother. It was as good a win as I've see in August, but the real stuff hasn't even started yet. My lid is on, and tightly packed under that lid is a shitload of dry powder. It's just a pity we won't get the opportunity for redemption against Carlton or Port.

It's just a pity we won't get the opportunity for redemption against Carlton or Port.

I've consoled myself by paying the occasional visit to their boards -- they seem rather less impressed with their own efforts this year than they were after either of the elim finals in which they played us. True, it's not quite as pleasing as winning a return match would be, but the toasty warm goodness of the meltiness on both boards is still heart warming. The word for the day is: Schadenfreude. :D

I've been trying to rank this year's wins in my mind. I reckon there is a post-season thread in it. For mine, the Hawthorn win was more enjoyable than the Swans and Freo wins.

1) It was at the MCG, 2) we had a few of our better players out, 3) the Hawks genuinely challenged, got in front, but we responded, and best of all 4) I never felt like the wheels were coming off.

Amen to that, brother. It was as good a win as I've see in August, but the real stuff hasn't even started yet. My lid is on, and tightly packed under that lid is a shitload of dry powder. It's just a pity we won't get the opportunity for redemption against Carlton or Port.

One of the best sentences I've read on Bigfooty. You should use that as your signature.

Great result when you look at our injury list. 10 players out, including Titch, Ellis, Griff, Foley, Hammer, Knights, Petterd.

Nup. Take petterd out of the mix (won't be there in 2016), knights hasn't played for 2 years, hamsen is a two bit fill in, foley is finished. So really titch ellis and griff the only ones missing of note.

How ironic is it that both Carlton and Port wont be in the finals.
We were doomed everyone said.

Just wait until Lennon and Ellis are locked into our 22 and both those loses will be a blessings in disguise. Not only has it made our players more determined than ever but we got pretty good players out of it.

For best win not including final against Essendon has to be beating Sydney last season to make the finals. That was awesome

How ironic is it that both Carlton and Port wont be in the finals.
We were doomed everyone said.

Just wait until Lennon and Ellis are locked into our 22 and both those loses will be a blessings in disguise. Not only has it made our players more determined than ever but we got pretty good players out of it.

For best win not including final against Essendon has to be beating Sydney last season to make the finals. That was awesome

I really think we've got a couple of beauties in ellis and lennon. They just look right.

I don't rate it the best win in 33 years, why, coz I expected it. A 3w record from last 4 against them kind of does that. when we went to freo, they were top side, and unbeaten. No one gave us a snow flakes chance. we broke every record in the book that night. 8 goal to one opening Qtr it was as pure brilliance you would possibly get, against the TOP unbeaten side if you don't mind, couldn't have scripted it any better. so last FRI night, best in 33 years, gimmee a break , haw were only one place on the ladder in front of us FFS:drunk:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back