The Big 4 - 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Looking forward to playing the rest of the Big 4 twice at the MCG in 2015 :thumbsu:

Carlton and Collingwood have both had the wood over us in recent years but they should both be the weakest they've been in a long time next year. 2 games against both gives us a great chance to break the hoodoo for good.

5-1 or 6-0 is what Richmond should realistically hope for over these 6 games.

Carlton and Collingwood have both had the wood over us in recent years but they should both be the weakest they've been in a long time next year. 2 games against both gives us a great chance to break the hoodoo for good.

I like your confidence there Barry! I will be pleased with a 4-2 result

His name is Daniel Erlandsson, absolute beast and my favourite drummer.

Look him up on YouTube - there's a number of drum solo / drum cam videos on there if you like that kind of stuff, superb musician.
Oh I know who he is. :thumbsu:

His brother's also done the rounds, in fact he's arguably probably a more accomplished drummer than him. :)

Oh I know who he is. :thumbsu:

His brother's also done the rounds, in fact he's arguably probably a more accomplished drummer than him. :)

Just my personal preference. :thumbsu:

Nothing against his bro who is also a great drummer with an awesome CV, but Daniel is just bang on for my taste with his aggression, skill and how clean he is...both awesome though.

Just my personal preference. :thumbsu:

Nothing against his bro who is also a great drummer with an awesome CV, but Daniel is just bang on for my taste with his aggression, skill and how clean he is...both awesome though.
He's certainly got some pretty sweet chops!

Sepultura hasn't interested me with anything they've done for the last 16+ years, but jeez, you could be forgiven for saying 'Igor who?' if you heard them these days. At least from a drummer PoV.

When your club has 63,000 members after 30 years of crap, you can finally gain entry.

Not sure if serious????....We had 33 years of crap before our first final & 37 before a Premiership; & we now have almost 70, 000 members!....Perhaps you ought to do sum more research before posting again!;)

Also: Membership for that out-moded & antiquated VFL notion, requires moccasins & duffle-coat....Both of which went out before VHS became popular!:D

BIG 4 Delusions of relevance more like it....It's time to step into the 21st Century methinks!....Nostalgia as a genre is fine, but mistaking it for reality isn't!

When your club has 63,000 members after 30 years of crap, you can finally gain entry.

Membership has exploded in recent season but I don't think there are many clubs that could, perhaps only Collingwood (who now have 78000 members) although they recently won a flag.

The Hawks do have close to 70000 and I don't think their would be many that could manage that feat even with premiership success...which is kinda the point being made here

Collingwood, Richmond and Essendon definitely would and Carlton probably could but anyway...

With the new Perth stadiums it'll be interesting to see how the Perth clubs stake up...

For Hawthorn, the wildcard long term might turn out to be their fan base in Tasmania. Next year marks the clubs 15th year in the state and now with 3 flags in 7 years it could be a source of significant future growth for the club...an outpost, or according to Jade :drunk: a double dip, that fee can draw on.

Failing that Martin Flannagan rather optimistically assessed that...

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...alongside-leigh-matthews-20140928-10n483.html

The upshot, in historical terms, is that Hawthorn may be poised to challenge Collingwood as the dominant team in Melbourne footy culture. In the late 1920s and early 1930s, Collingwood won a succession of premierships and established themselves as a by-word for football excellence throughout Australia, thereby winning themselves a national following. Collingwood is, or was, a working-class club.

Hawthorn is a middle-class club that prizes certain values and has rigorously transmitted them from generation to generation, winning 12 premierships since 1961. The Hawks have got historical momentum and their army of fans will only be bigger next year. My last image of the 2014 grand final?

I think that this is far too optimistic and very unlikely to happen but still...

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Membership has exploded in recent season but I don't think there are many clubs that could, perhaps only Collingwood (who now have 78000 members) although they recently won a flag.

The Hawks do have close to 70000 and I don't think their would be many that could manage that feat even with premiership success...which is kinda the point being made here

Collingwood, Richmond and Essendon definitely would and Carlton probably could but anyway...

With the new Perth stadiums it'll be interesting to see how the Perth clubs stake up...

For Hawthorn, the wildcard long term might turn out to be their fan base in Tasmania. Next year marks the clubs 15th year in the state and now with 3 flags in 7 years it could be a source of significant future growth for the club...an outpost, or according to Jade :drunk: a double dip, that fee can draw on.

Failing that Martin Flannagan rather optimistically assessed that...

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...alongside-leigh-matthews-20140928-10n483.html

I think that this is far too optimistic and very unlikely to happen but still...
Boring, Post some clips of Pantera plz

Carlton and Collingwood have both had the wood over us in recent years but they should both be the weakest they've been in a
long time next year. 2 games against both gives us a great chance to break thehoodoo for good.

Careful what you WISH for. Pies will surprise.

Those Roy Morgan polls are terrible.

Goes something like this:

Random dude with a clipboard pulls aside 100 people in Melbourne, and asks them which AFL side they support.

10 say Collingwood, 10 say Essendon, 10 say Carlton (you can see where this goes......)

Does the same thing in Sydney, and 50 people say 'Sydney'.

They extrapolate that figure out and OH MY GOD!! Sydney has a MILLION supporters!!

What the poll fails to recognise is that of the 10 people that said Collingwood, eight of them are members, go to games every week, never miss a game on TV, buy guernseys, hats, flags etc etc etc....

And of the 50 people that said 'Sydney'; two of them do the same whereas the other 48 respond with, 'well Sydney I guess......'

Proof is always where people throw their cash.....

Sounds about right actually. When I read the poll, it was at odds with my view of the AFL world. I simply don't believe that Sydney is bigger than Collingwood and Brisbane is bigger than Hawthorn

Sounds about right actually. When I read the poll, it was at odds with my view of the AFL world. I simply don't believe that Sydney is bigger than Collingwood and Brisbane is bigger than Hawthorn

Sydney are a middle to low rung club (financially). They are roughly equivalent in size to Brisbane (slightly larger), and a chasm exists between them and the Hawks.

Careful what you WISH for. Pies will surprise.

Hmmmm.... I rate your drafting in recent years so I suspect you'll be back up sooner rather than later - but you have three GAPING holes as I see it:

1) Lack of tall forwards.
2) Poor ruck division.
3) Lack of quality off half back.

I'd still rate you a 50/50 chance to make the eight, and would be very surprised to see you finish lower than 12th - but I don't think you'll be crash hot in 2015.

Collingwood & Richmond sent each other broke in 80s. Richmond has never recovered

Considering how monumentally s**t they've been for a freakin lifetime - they are a monstrously large club.

bullshit radar going off..

In case you've missed the last 30 years - it's been the least successful period in Richmonds history

I'm going out on a limb here and saying you haven't recovered from that period yet

Recovery says you haven't got back to where you were before the problem yet

The only indication that Richmond is back to the pre 1983 situation would be that you made back to back finals for the first time

From memory Richmonds 2013-4 was slightly different to 1973-4, but if you're happy with it who am I to disagree

Pretentious twats with your drummers, give me the finest guitar duo anytime Thin Lizzy's Scott Gorham and Brian Robertson. Go to around the two minute mark and enjoy real musicianship.

In case you've missed the last 30 years - it's been the least successful period in Richmonds history

I'm going out on a limb here and saying you haven't recovered from that period yet

Recovery says you haven't got back to where you were before the problem yet

The only indication that Richmond is back to the pre 1983 situation would be that you made back to back finals for the first time

From memory Richmonds 2013-4 was slightly different to 1973-4, but if you're happy with it who am I to disagree
I love the Big 4

The very existence of it has resulted in the capitulation of all 4 of these clubs

Collingwood & Richmond sent each other broke in 80s. Richmond has never recovered

The Bombers and Blues have spent 30 years, some would say "cheating", in attempts to better the other

All 4 clubs put too much focus in beating each other rather than trying to keep up with the real powers in the competition

May the Big 4 continue for another 30 years

Footnote: Since 1983 the Big One has won 8 flags while the Big 4 have won 8 flags between them
Well, if that is indeed English used in your original post, looks to me you were speaking about our precarious financial position of the 80s to 90s, which we have certainly recovered since.. and are finally in a position to use that strength to push forward..

Well, if that is indeed English used in your original post, looks to me you were speaking about our precarious financial position of the 80s to 90s, which we have certainly recovered since.. and are finally in a position to use that strength to push forward..

I'm not sure you've recovered your financial position. You claim to be Big 4...

Be a sport and tell me whether you are in the top 4 sides on the list here

http://www.worldofwookie.com/aflbusiness/?page_id=1625

Revenue

• Collingwood – 75.2 million (includes 11 million in dev. money)
  • Hawthorn – $64 million, up from $57 million
  • Essendon – $63 million, down from $65 million (5.3 million in grant money)
  • Carlton – $57 million, up from $46 million
  • Geelong – $56 million
  • West Coast – $55.97 million
  • Fremantle – 46.63 million (up from 42.77 million)
  • Richmond – 44.8 million, up from 37.6 million
  • Brisbane – $43.5 million, down from 43.8 million
  • Sydney – $43 million (up 7%)
  • Port Adelaide – $41.6 million (up from 37.9 million)
  • Melbourne – 39.43 million, down from 39.51 million
  • Adelaide – 34.36 million, up from 34.14 million
  • Western Bulldogs – $34 million, up from 32.7 million
  • North Melbourne – $31.98 million, up from 31.02 million
  • Greater Western Sydney – $31.95 million, up from 30.7 million
  • St Kilda – 29.9 million, down from 30.6 million

Remove this Banner Ad

Back