The BigFooty Liverpool Army

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Was anyone listening to SEN (1116 on the AM) this arvo?

Ben Darwin (former Australian rugby union player) was talking about cohesiveness in team sport and how important it is to success. It was really interesting. His company is trying to identify those intangibles that cause your Man City/Chelsea who have squads that are leagues ahead of the competition and yet don't always transform that individual talent into results and (sorry San Antonio fans) boring old teams like the Spurs in the NBA have such a high success rate.

A couple of things he said, I think, relates to Liverpool
  • Sometimes when you are unable to recruit (i.e. mid-season window for us) it creates a bond/familiarity among the existing players. This might go some way to explaining our second half of the season performance.
  • A lot of his references are to Rugyby - one area that you can recruit and expect immediate gains is your 'end-of-the-line' players (wingers in rugby) who don't make decisions and therefore don't need to have an understanding of players around them. While I don't think there are a similar position in football, I think having our core 'decision-makers' playing many games with each other, and limited rotation, was a real benefit. And Stevie heading deeper into decision making territory also a positive.
None of this is groundbreaking stuff and I think from decisions over the last 18 months I would think that BR has a very good grasp of these sort of concepts.

Looking to the next season I hope that the team we start with is very similar to the teams we went out with at the end of last season (one obvious change comes to mind) with the new recruits slowly being integrated.

Does anyone else think Man U won't challenge again next season? Only signed Herrera and Shaw so far, along with LVG. Don't think any class signings like Di Maria or Vidal will go there without CL football.

Does anyone else think Man U won't challenge again next season? Only signed Herrera and Shaw so far, along with LVG. Don't think any class signings like Di Maria or Vidal will go there without CL football.
With the right money I don't think it's a long shot. As they are spending money and have a new manager I don't think it would be impossible to believe from a player perspective that they will be in the CL by next season. They've only been out for this season so it's not like they're established upper mid table like we were.

With the right money I don't think it's a long shot. As they are spending money and have a new manager I don't think it would be impossible to believe from a player perspective that they will be in the CL by next season. They've only been out for this season so it's not like they're established upper mid table like we were.

Man City and Chelsea are pretty much locks for 2 of the 4 spots. Arsenal will be up there as well again. That leaves us, Man U and Spurs (who I think will imporve greatly) to fight it out for that 4th spot.

Man City and Chelsea are pretty much locks for 2 of the 4 spots. Arsenal will be up there as well again. That leaves us, Man U and Spurs (who I think will imporve greatly) to fight it out for that 4th spot.
So... why do you think it is so unbelievable that players like Di Maria and Vidal wouldn't go to Man U?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So is it true Lovren will cost more than Hummels?

If so WTTFFFFFFFFFFFF

No. Klopp laughed at the idea of selling Hummels for 20 million euros, or at all.

We are definitely one top class attacking player short from completing the squad

If we're relying on Markovic and Can to make an immediate impact when they should be taking their time developing and acclimatizing then we're asking a lot

Remy and Lambert are good signings but realistic they aren't certain starters, we need one more

Lovren and Moreno should cost 40-45 mil, so we definitely still have quite a lot of cash left to make one more signing. I would be disappointed if the club doesn't even try for it

always exciting when a youngster goes on loan in the Prem, gives you more motivation to watch that mid table clash when it's the only game on that day, Wisdom to West Brom is a good one!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back