The BigFooty Liverpool Army

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at the age and experience of our squad we will struggle to compete with the likes of City and Chelsea this season who have both invested fortunes in footballers who are the finished article. Our main battle will be 3rd to 5th.

Pleased by Markovic ' s debut. He should start next week with Coutinho out of form.

Good lesson for Moreno who was asleep for the first about the tempo of the EPL.

Not too concerned about losing away to City. They will be winning 90% of their home games this season.

MY NEGATIVE NANCY POST

Hmm ok... that was a pretty disappointing result to be fair. It was a real chance early on in the season to set down a marker. Let everyone know that we are not going to go away. Even fighting out a draw would have been great, but we just kind of surrendered, meekly.

For the first 40 minutes though, I thought we were doing just that. Sending a msg. We were controlling the game for large periods I thought, defending well and nullifying any real City threat, we were hitting them on the counter pretty well but just couldnt find an end product.

Then the unfortunate happened for Moreno. He was poor in that one instant. He was on his heels and took too long to clear. In Spain you get that time, not in England.

The second half though was a bit of a cluster*. Ive liked Lovren so far, I think he could be really good but that is twice in two games he has been undone by a backheel. He has to be awake to that and cut that s**t out. This time again he goes to close down and gets done by a backheel.

No communication too so while Lovren and Moreno stepped up, Skrtel and Johnson didnt playing half the City players onside and then with their class, they found a second goal rather easily. Jovetic was very good.

It was game over then and we got caught high up the pitch, pressing and chasing which allowed Aguero space to run off Lovren. Nice ball by Navas.

Some real poor defending which is reminiscent of last season cost us some easily avoided goals. I find a lot of our goals are often self inflicted. Without Suarez we lose 3-1 instead of drawing 3-3 or winning 4-3. If we dont start to defend better we will not challenge for the top prizes.

Lovren and Moreno looks to push up while Skrtel and Johnson keeps dropping deep, amateurish organisation

Not a single person in that back 5 (6 including Gerrard) I can feel any confidence in

Manquilo - Sakho - Agger - Moreno
---------- no Gerrard here ----------

Best backline. Get on it Rodgers.

Meh, for some reason, I was completely mello during that match, like just accepting that we'd lose after that 2nd goal.

So, instead of looking at everything that went wrong, I'm going to look at the positives.

Markovic - looked really, really good when he came on. That weighted, 1st touch pass to put Moreno in behind was sublime. Going to be world class in a couple of years.

Moreno - Apart from the mistake in the 1st half, which let's be frank, could have happened to anyone, he looked good. Loved the way at the end where he came back on after being injured and made a good tackle at the edge of our penalty area.

NOW MY POSITIVE PETE POST

To keep going from where I left off. Our defending. We had 2 new players out of the back 4. One on debut and the other playing just his second game for us. It's gonna take time for everyone to get on the same page. With guys like Skrtel, Lovren, Moreno, Sakho, Flanagan, Manquillo, Enrique, we have the makings of a good backline and I think they will get better but we just need more time for them to play together and get used to one another.

I thought Moreno was excellent. Yes it was his fault we were down 1-0 and he will learn from that. In the PL, you do not get time on the ball and next time he wont be on his heels. But apart from that glaring error I thought he was outstanding. Defended well and got forward with real purpose.

In the past 18 months we have had Johnson running in circles and running into defenders and Enrique who is solid enough defensively but just lacks that polish going forward. His technique just isnt up to standard to play cute 1-2's and whip in good balls or beat a man with a bit of trickery. With Moreno, it looks like we finally have that full back who is good defensively but can go forward and really impact a game. Im excited about him.

I thought Markovic was terrific when he came on too. Great touch, balance and awareness. He has pace, tricks and instantly got on the ball and attacks. He completely changed the way we attacked and we almost scored once or twice in the 10 minutes after he came on.

I like our squad depth. Sure we lost but this time we brought on Emre Can, Markovic and Lambert. That was with Lallana and Balotelli not involved. Last season it would have been Moses, Alberto and Aspas coming on. Vomitisation.

The first 40 minutes were good, we battled them, hit them on the counter and controlled the game for large periods but our work in the final third was well off. I think their is an adjustment period without Suarez that will take time. City are the champions and very classy and made us pay for small errors. They wont drop many points at home, if any you would suspect so we cant get too down for losing against the champions on their own ground.

I think Balotelli brings an exciting skill that we have lacked since Gerrard's pomp. That is his long range shooting. We huffed and puffed and sometimes we had a few opening to just try our luck from distance but nobody wanted to pull the trigger. Balotelli is excellent at shooting from distance and I think that will open up opportunities this season.

Chin up...

Meh, for some reason, I was completely mello during that match, like just accepting that we'd lose after that 2nd goal.

i had a bad feeling about the game, but there's always a flicker of hope inside from the heart. Its the LFC way. I think it is caused by a lack of certain identity.

We are a big club, and based on intangibles should always be fighting for the title. however, things have happened that mean we couldnt (except last years awesome run). every game we expect/want to win because of the history/big club thing.

but there is always an underlying acceptance that we aren't good enough. its a weekly fight mentally we have deciding if we are a top team, or next rung down

So, instead of looking at everything that went wrong, I'm going to look at the positives.

Markovic - looked really, really good when he came on. That weighted, 1st touch pass to put Moreno in behind was sublime. Going to be world class in a couple of years.

Moreno - Apart from the mistake in the 1st half, which let's be frank, could have happened to anyone, he looked good. Loved the way at the end where he came back on after being injured and made a good tackle at the edge of our penalty area.

great post.

MY NEGATIVE NANCY POST

Hmm ok... that was a pretty disappointing result to be fair. It was a real chance early on in the season to set down a marker. Let everyone know that we are not going to go away. Even fighting out a draw would have been great, but we just kind of surrendered, meekly.

For the first 40 minutes though, I thought we were doing just that. Sending a msg. We were controlling the game for large periods I thought, defending well and nullifying any real City threat, we were hitting them on the counter pretty well but just couldnt find an end product.

Then the unfortunate happened for Moreno. He was poor in that one instant. He was on his heels and took too long to clear. In Spain you get that time, not in England.

The second half though was a bit of a cluster****. Ive liked Lovren so far, I think he could be really good but that is twice in two games he has been undone by a backheel. He has to be awake to that and cut that s**t out. This time again he goes to close down and gets done by a backheel.

No communication too so while Lovren and Moreno stepped up, Skrtel and Johnson didnt playing half the City players onside and then with their class, they found a second goal rather easily. Jovetic was very good.

It was game over then and we got caught high up the pitch, pressing and chasing which allowed Aguero space to run off Lovren. Nice ball by Navas.

Some real poor defending which is reminiscent of last season cost us some easily avoided goals. I find a lot of our goals are often self inflicted. Without Suarez we lose 3-1 instead of drawing 3-3 or winning 4-3. If we dont start to defend better we will not challenge for the top prizes.

spot on. we were like geelong feat gary ablett snr. we dont defend but will score more than you.

surrender meekly is a good way of putting it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

gerrard is an interesting case. he's getting old and slow which is natural. but he's a club legend, golden boy who can do brilliant things without thinking. at some point in teh future someone needs to ask if its best for him to play 90mins, or even feature in every game. but its hard given his standing and captaincy. bit like casillas, or the current situation at essendon with hird returning

gerrard is an interesting case. he's getting old and slow which is natural. but he's a club legend, golden boy who can do brilliant things without thinking. at some point in teh future someone needs to ask if its best for him to play 90mins, or even feature in every game. but its hard given his standing and captaincy. bit like casillas, or the current situation at essendon with hird returning

>Gerrard, club legend that is getting old
>Hird, club legend but disgraced coach who got suspended for 12 months

How are they comparable?

Points to take from City game:

Lots of positives despite the loss.

- Just about the hardest away fixture in the league at the moment, along with Chelsea at the bridge. So was expecting a tough/frustrating game.
- City's squad depth is unrivaled.
- Still enough to suggest we'll do some damage this season.
- Moreno looked impressive at left back. Yes, he made a mistake, just needs to get use to the pace of the game.
- Markovic also looked the goods.
- Defensively we are unorganized. Our new signings (Lovren and Moreno) pressured the ball where as Johnson and Skrtel sat back. This needs to be fixed.
- Sturridge needs a partner. He simply just doesn't work as a lone striker. Sterling and Coutinho did a good job but he needs to someone close to create space for him.
- Lallana and Super Mario to come back in this week :)

I wanna see Super Mario run around in that red shirt!

>Gerrard, club legend that is getting old
>Hird, club legend but disgraced coach who got suspended for 12 months

How are they comparable?

as in golden child.

other than that, absolutely nothing else

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back