The BigFooty Liverpool Army

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nice finish by Markovic, the kid is showing some things since getting a consistent place in the side.

Rodgers did the same thing with Sterling last season IIRC. Hardly played in the first six months and we all know the rest of that story. I like it personally and it seems to be working.

That can't be right mate.. We wasted every penny of that £120m in the summer, all the new signings are rubbish according to some on here!
I stand by that statement, we could have used a winger in their prime instead of waiting half a season to start properly playing a guy whose worth won't be seen fully in at least a couple of years

Markovic hasnt been rated in the top 3 players under 21 in Europe for no reason!! obviously the kids got talent!! just needs playing time and time to adapt to the english game!

I stand by that statement, we could have used a winger in their prime instead of waiting half a season to start properly playing a guy whose worth won't be seen fully in at least a couple of years

Yeah but you have to realise that the way Markovic's development was tracking, if we had waited a couple of years to make a move when he was 'ready' then his value could have been around the £35-40m mark and we would have been well & truly priced out of the market for him. With that in mind it was definitely a gamble worth taking. He's the sort of young talent that we rarely get access to because players as highly rated as Markovic usually end up going to Chelsea or Madrid or whoever.

In any case, it's not as though he's completely raw - this is a guy that dominated for Benfica last season (named in the Europa League TotS), and after taking a couple of games to find is feet is now starting to have a really strong impact in a Liverpool shirt. Nice to see that he's really stood out in some big, big games too (United & Real Madrid away as well as the must win game vs Basel).

I think Dylan is saying that he has nothing against Markovic per se, he just feels (as do many, including me) that if we were going to buy a winger then we should have brought in a more established winger that could have come in and hit the ground running, particularly when you consider that Sterling was only 19 himself at the time (just turned 20). Going into the season with just Sterling and an inexperienced and unproven Markovic seemed irresponsible at the time and still is, particularly given the workload that Sterling has been forced to endure. If we were going to buy Markovic anyway then his signing should have been supplemented with the acquisition of a more proven winger who could play alongside/rotate with Sterling and Markovic and actually be expected to make an instant impact. I don't think anyone was ever writing Markovic off for good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think Markovic, Can and Origi signings strongly showed the owners electing to win later rather than now and get as much positive assets as possible for the future.

By the time the stadium finishes, the young team will be into their prime imo they'll try and sell it and cash in big time.

We've offered 15 year old Italian striker Gianluca Scamacca 135K a week according to rumours

He's been dubbed the next Zlatan Ibrahimovic by Italian media
Lol. :D

A 15 year old on 135k a week yet we apparently wont pay our best player in Sterling, 70k a week. Where do the papers come up with this rubbish.

Think Markovic, Can and Origi signings strongly showed the owners electing to win later rather than now and get as much positive assets as possible for the future.

By the time the stadium finishes, the young team will be into their prime imo they'll try and sell it and cash in big time.
I think there is some truth here. I think when Suarez left, they knew winning now was pretty much not going to happen. So instead they invested in the future. Can, Origi and Markovic I firmly believe will all turn out to be excellent signings. The only annoying thing is, we have to wait for them.

Great finishes, all 3 of our goals.
The goal we conceived was once again resulted from a back pass, our midfielders were not tracking on their midfielder again.

We've offered 15 year old Italian striker Gianluca Scamacca 135K a week according to rumours

tumblr_m4gk3cm9NT1rn95k2o1_500.gif

ever since i got my hopes up on the norwegian kid, only to have them dashed this week, i wont get attached no more.

This is probably the worst rationalising of the transfer policy I've seen yet
Perhaps but our squad was paper thin and last season was a mixture of very few games so our paper thin squad didnt get exposed. We also had a pretty good run with injuries again hiding our paper thin squad and of course the brilliance of SAS.

When Suarez left, we could have spent most of his money on one or two huge signings who would never be as good as Suarez and we would still be relying on Aspas, Alberto etc off the bench. Instead we spread it to improve the squad. It was the right play but we just didnt spend it wisely like on Lovren and Balotelli in particular.

We should have kept Agger and used the 36 million we spunked on Balo and Lovren on a world class forward.

So Origi, Can, Markovic, Manquillo, Moreno, Lallana, Lambert and then your 36 million pound striker.

That would have fixed the paper thin squad plus kept us competitive. We wouldnt be winning the league but our top 4 drive would be going much better.

I liked the idea of what we did, we just made a couple of mistakes which have been costly.

Big game in a few days vs 6th placed Arsenal. A win could see us go up to 7th, A loss could makes us 13th. Lovren and Johnson are no loss.

Coutinho-------Sterling------Lallana
-----------------Gerrard--------------
Henderson------Lucas------Markovic
--------Sakho---Skrtel---Toure------
------------------Jones----------------

Subs: Mignolet, Manquillo, Moreno, Can, Allen, Borini, Lambert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back