The BigFooty Liverpool Army

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Our football department's run very amateurishly tbh. We need someone with experience guiding the operation, like a good Director of Football who isn't
Damien Con-molli.

But I'm afraid FSG has put the committee and Michael Gordon in place precisely because they want greater control over transfers and "value" themselves, which probably reflects the quality (or lack there of) of the business recently
Monchi.

Surely at the very least we would have several targets rather than just Benteke, Benteke and Benteke.

The thing with Ibe is while he has looked very good in patches, he still hasn't scored or assisted a goal in Liverpool colors. He might well turn out to be great but that is a big gamble to have going into the season with the expectations that we as a club have. He is better off being used off the bench or starting in cup games

Think we still need a genuine wide player even if Sterling goes but we probably won't
Ive seen this myth doing the rounds on the internet. It's not true. Ibe assisted on Coutinho's goal in the 1-0 win in Carragher's last game two years ago against QPR. On his debut no less.

But yes while people just throw out the old, oh it's ok, we've got Ibe crap. Sure Ibe looks a super talent but he isnt nearly as polished as Sterling is yet.

This is the thing that shits me as well. It's like last summer - how is it possible that the ONLY realistic and available strikers for a side like ours, one of the biggest clubs in the world and playing in the Champions League, were a past-it Eto'o, Remy and Balotelli? How can we, as fans, be expected to accept that? How is it possible that one of the top clubs in the world can be so restricted in terms of recruitment of players? It's mind-boggling.

The same thing seems to be happening again with Benteke - how can we be so sure that we can't find better value elsewhere than paying over £30m pounds for a player that does not on the surface appear to fit in with how the team is expected to play? If Benteke truly is the best option then you have to wonder whether as a club we really are trying hard enough.
It's extremely frustrating. You just wonder what all our scouts are doing. Ive said it before but id love to be a fly on the wall in these situations to see just what the hell is going on behind closed doors.

The whole Benteke thing is baffling too. Ive heard stories coming out of Anfield that this season they have given more control to Rodgers in the market hence wrapping up deals for players he wants and also real players who would seem to suit the way Rodgers plays like Firmino, Ings, Milner and Clyne. They all seem like Rodgers type of signings.

Firmino can play multiple positions, excellent technician, can create and score, quick. The exact type of player Rodgers loves. Clyne is a solid defender but is quick and can overlap and be a dangerous attacking player in his own right. The exact kind of full back Rodgers likes.

Ings can press, always chases and works hard. Decent finisher. Pressing and working hard is exactly what Rodgers looks for in his forwards, he wants to press from the front. Milner, intelligent, technical, can create and score, experienced. Exactly what Rodgers wants coming in after Stevie's departure.

Then ... Benteke.

It just makes absolutely no sense. I dont understand what is going on.

Benteke would be fine for an absolute max of 25 mil. if we get rid of Lambert, Mario and Borini AND we bring in another striker.
If we don't sign him though I can see us doing another panic buy of Heskey or some sh*t a day before the transfer deadline.

i'm just glad we're going after a guy who doesn't think of doing everything before sticking the ball in the onion bag. don't you miss that? a real striker? we had nothing to aim for last season and even with firmino we still have no oomph or target or structure up there. a little structure will go a long way, it wont throw the way we play into disarray.

All three strikers - Bacca, Adriano and Jackson Martinez costs under £30 million.

I would be really pissed off if we signed Benteke for £32 million.

Why is it that all of a sudden in the last few years no one wants to come to Liverpool? I refuse to believe that players don't want to come because we are not in the Champions League.

My $0.02 is that Rogers is driving the Benteke signing, and he's doing it because he doesn't want to risk a non EPL player "struggling to adapt" to the EPL while his manager tenure is under the microscope pre Xmas.

If we'd signed Klopp, we wouldn't be having this problem.

what if Klopp rates Benteke too? hard to debate when you're dealing in so many hypotheticals anyway. and a striker nobody cares about 6 months ago all of a sudden being a better option than a kid who has had 3 good seasons in the Prem so far. :\ even if he is (but what are you possibly using to come to that conclusion) you know which one our regime is going for and it aint the one with no "resale value".

How in hell have the battling AC Milan sign Bacca and Adriano? Are they suddenly flush with cash now?

There was a change about a month ago to their financial situation, so they are spending again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

what if Klopp rates Benteke too? hard to debate when you're dealing in so many hypotheticals anyway. and a striker nobody cares about 6 months ago all of a sudden being a better option than a kid who has had 3 good seasons in the Prem so far. :\ even if he is (but what are you possibly using to come to that conclusion) you know which one our regime is going for and it aint the one with no "resale value".

I think Benteke would be great in a Klopp team

Almost weird how I'm just looking at every transfer thinking whether they'd be good for Jurg

Why is it that all of a sudden in the last few years no one wants to come to Liverpool? I refuse to believe that players don't want to come because we are not in the Champions League.

In my opinion, there are a few factors and I will mention a couple here:

- Brendan Rodgers - having a relative "nobody" as manager, a man with admirable ideas on how the game should be played, but little pedigree within the game when compared to most if not all other managers at top clubs. How many top players are going to want to play for a manager whose biggest and only achievement to date is getting a side promoted into the Premier League? He just doesn't have the managerial track-record to attract the best talent to the club. Compare his situation to someone like Jurgen Klopp, who, despite a poor last season, achieved great success domestically and relative success in Europe, taking Dortmund through to the knockout stages multiple times and the final once. If you were a player, whose CV is more likely to attract you?

- Transfer Policy - is is that no-one wants to come. or that we simply don't target the right players? The transfer policy seems to be to spend significant amounts on middling, preferably British "Premier League-proven" talent (Allen, Downing, Lallana etc.), or speculative prospects on whom no significant return is likely to be realised until years down the line (Markovic, Moreno, Ilori etc.), if at all. All this, despite the only two surefire transfer 'hits" to date being young talent that was under-appreciated at previous top clubs (Coutinho, Sturridge). So, is it that nobody wants to come, or does our single-mindedness mean that we just generally don't look in the right places?

- Ambition - a lot of people disagree on this one but personally I am just not convinced that the club's ambition matches befits that of a side that is one of most valuable football brands in the world. Put bluntly, we don't "act" like a big club: we consistently sell our best players and replace them with inferior models in accordance with our flawed transfer strategy outlined above, and we regularly miss out on players we desire seemingly as a result of haggling over minor details and amounts. The way we made a complete hash of last summer's transfer market, even AFTER seeing Spurs to exactly the same thing the year before and despite qualifying for the Champions League, was totally unforgivable. In fairness, the Firmino signing is encouraging and possibly a greater statement of intent, and we need more like it. Basically, to me, our owners appear to be shrewd, "safe" businessmen under whom nothing will go drastically wrong off-field, but who are unwilling to really push the boat out to try to compete consistently at the top.

That's not Bobby, that's just some bloke who's broken into the press room.

Where's Ayrey?
Thought it was weird nothing had been said by the club, but it was posted on Sky Transfer Centre so I assumed that was real.

i

push allen back to DM and go with a 4-2-1-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back