FTA-TV The Blacklist

Remove this Banner Ad

Starts on FTA next week doesn't it?

Must admit, the (endless) promos have got me intrigued. I'll give it a go.

It's worth a watch with the hope that it'll get bigger and better as the season progresses. I enjoyed it but didn't think it was ground-breaking television by any means.

I fear Breaking Bad has spoiled me, i would like to get into a new show though.
What's it about?

Former government agent Raymond "Red" Reddington (James Spader) has eluded capture for decades. But he suddenly surrenders to the FBI with an offer to help catch a terrorist under the condition that he speaks only to Elizabeth "Liz" Keen (Megan Boone), a young FBI profiler who's just barely out of Quantico.

To add to that Reddington has a list of 'master criminals' of whom the FBI don't even know exist, so each episode will probably be a new name on the list.

I'll give the pilot a watch and see if i like it.
Hopefully it's not ''villain of the week'' like Fringe or Criminal Minds.

I'll give the pilot a watch and see if i like it.
Hopefully it's not ''villain of the week'' like Fringe or Criminal Minds.

I'm fairly confident that it will be :)

I thought it was a very average pilot. Spader was good to watch but nothing else grabbed me about it. Will give it a few more episodes because of Spader and the hope that it improves.

I hate to say it but it reminded me of The Following.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Luckily I haven't seen Silence of the Lambs then...

70545-Jesse-Pinkman-what-gif-imgur-lWaL.gif

I don't mind the new villain each week, but I hope they have a consistent one throughout a season, which culminates in the season finale.

I think the main story arc, for at least season one, will be the interplay between Spader and the female fbi agent as we uncover the true intentions and motives of Spaders character.

For those watching it for Spader, after seeing plenty of his stuff myself, you know what you're gunna get. He only has one style of acting.

First episode moved very quickly
Hope its not at that pace consistently
I think it will run a bit like Persons of Interest with a weekly/bi weekly Villain they catch but a couple big bads who prove too elusive and become the lead Villains.

Interested to find out what the back story to the Hubby is too.

I think the show will be pretty good though. I have no expectations of this show reaching epic heights but it will be a fun watch on a week to week basis. Can never get enough of Spader and his narcissistic personalities.

First episode made me feel like I was 'watching' a TV show. I know how that sounds, so I'll put it this way; when watching Breaking Bad, Dexter et al. you don't feel like you're watching a TV show, you feel like you're there and it captivates you. Watching The Blacklist I just found myself predicting scenes and lines. They rushed through way too much, made it feel like the whole first episode was over a 20 minute period of time

Like when a black hawk helicopter comes out of nowhere and 3 cop cars pull up at exactly the same time from different directions, or when the Russian guy is defusing the bomb and all they show is him cutting a wire and it stops on 10 seconds, but only after it started counting faster cos I always hate it when that happens, or when Lizzy conveniently pulls up the carpet above the hidden chest, or when it felt it took them 10 seconds to find vision of Zamani at the airport etc. etc.

The Silence of the Lambs thing put me off a bit to be honest. I do think James Spader is a brilliant character actor but I just felt his OTT persona might suffocate the series a little. I also like Harry Lennix (the FBI Director) too, always plays that strong authoritarian character well. Also reminded me a bit of The Following as well.

I'll watch it a bit more to see how it builds up before I decide if I like it. But the pilot did not blow me away that's for sure.

I just felt his OTT persona might suffocate the series a little.

I actually did feel in one part of the first episode that his 'persona' was over the top, killing the scene a tad.

When that happens all I can think is that I'm watching James Spader act.

I feel it's worth a go to keep watching. The pilot was obviously far too fast paced but I guess they had to cram alot into a short amount of time and explain Reddingtons angle and the "blacklist".

I wouldn't expect (hope that) they wouldn't do that throughout the series. Each Villain should be stretched over 2-3 eps min. They are the big bads after all and shouldn't be easy to catch. Hopefully they put some real effort into the character development into not just leads but Villains they pursue. That to me will be the difference between whether this show is very good or average.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back