FTA-TV The Block 2014

Combination of a lot of things, primarily of all Block series' this was the best location, so in essence the reserves were a fraction low (100K or thereabouts). Also the terraces which were not avalable on other series' were this time and they are a big time seller.

DrKrieger

Club Legend
Jul 3, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Patriots, Miller, Williams
Holy s**t that's a lot of money to have given away.

I'm sure some shows have given away more but I find the sums quoted here to be quite incredible.

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment...ve-odonnell-pocket-736000-20140409-36dgp.html

Is this the peak? Surely they can't let everybody that goes on this show be a winner like that again?
I thought so initially, but if they make profit anyway just on sponsorship and ad sales, then they can afford to give away that much. If nothing else it ensures they get heaps of applicants each year, which can only be a good thing for those in charge of the show.

I wanted to see Keith's reaction to Steve and Chantelle winning The Block. Would have been priceless.
I'm just imagining it with his standard poker face

743135-26b0c3f6-b92a-11e3-9942-d7dbb3111cd3.jpg

If nothing else it ensures they get heaps of applicants each year, which can only be a good thing for those in charge of the show.

How? They are 1/4 of the way through filming next year anyway! Not sure it makes that big a difference!

DrKrieger

Club Legend
Jul 3, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Patriots, Miller, Williams
How? They are 1/4 of the way through filming next year anyway! Not sure it makes that big a difference!
There'll be another series after that though, it all helps. I'd agree someone got the reserves wrong, but I don't think that Channel 9's profit margin suffered too badly as a result.

There'll be another series after that though, it all helps. I'd agree someone got the reserves wrong, but I don't think that Channel 9's profit margin suffered too badly as a result.

Thought the reserves were 100-200K too low myself, but really the big wins, drum up support for the next series. However watch next series wher ethey all struggle to meet reserve.

JuddsABlue

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I think ideally they would want to contestants to get around 200-300k based on previous series. I remember that one series where they really got it wrong and some houses were passed in so they're probably A little gun shy from that

But when setting the reserves they know their costings. They aren't setting the show up for a small loss, they would've met their desired break even/profit point

But no doubt they did under value, every house breaking the entire series record? No way was that intentional

I do agree that it was kind of weird having each house smash the profit record, but Channel Nine would have made a nice profit from this, leaving the contestants with the remaining profits, also, for previous seasons Channel Nine may have had to cover extra cost. But the most important factor it, that The Block have never three storey apartments before, and were not sure about the actual selling price in these locations (as well).

They purposely put the reserves low now so the contestants walk away with something after all their hard work. Years ago some got nothing at all or 40k.

Yeah and it was absolutely hilarious. :D

I enjoyed this series of the Block- in fact I was a bit of a "convert"- exchanged MKR for this, when MKR left their house rounds and turned into Masterchef. Anyway, tried to ignore the constant annoying top 20 soundtrack and clips of the contestants dancing around like dickheads and this was pretty enjoyable. Particularly the Sunday night reveal eps. Didnt religiously watch the weekday episodes. Obviously the order played a massive part in the auction- did not agree Steve and Chantelle's was the best.

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
All contestant benefited from some under valuing, people pay a little bit extra because it is a "block" house.

The location they where in was second to none, Steve and Chantelle benefited from going last.

I've noticed the last couple of seasons particularly the last two, the show has leaned more towards highlighting drama's and arguments than the building/design etc. It's more of a drama, than a building show.

Next series has already started filming last week, it is set in Prahran in Melbourne.

AtomicBlonde

Cancelled
Sep 23, 2010
Sugar Town
AFL Club
Essendon
Steve and Chantelle's master bedroom suite was far better than any of the others. It was the only one that was actually a little bit sexy. I loved their kitchen and living area as well, the twin's kitchen just took up too much space for my liking. I'm not sure why so many people are shocked by the result, when you break it down room by room it is pretty clear that Steve and Chantelle turned out a very fine (not OTT) loft apartment. Only thing I didn't like was the rooftop terrace, it was hideous but I believe they had run out of money by that point so that at least can easily be re-designed if the owners wished.

JuddsABlue

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Steve and Chantelle also had the better side of the block which gives them an advantage over the others

The twins master was awful, I was shocked they did so well, and the super Ks wasn't much better

I thought brad and dale had the best apartment but going first hurt them a little, plus they were on the 'bad side'

Overall though it's buyers preference. Steve and Chantelle were a little quirky but presented a really nice place still, and if someone with an extra 100k in their budget liked it the most then it reflected in the purchase

Did anybody go to the viewing? An apartment can look a feel a whole lot different when you're in it compared to real life, inside theirs it may have been a ripper

Did anybody go to the viewing? An apartment can look a feel a whole lot different when you're in it compared to real life, inside theirs it may have been a ripper

Yep, I went. Thought the best 2 were Steve and Chantelle's and the Twins when I viewed it. Both apartments looked 'bigger' and they looked more like a home, both kitchens were OUTSTANDING and they sell houses. Drad and Dale's was good, but nothing exceptional in any room (and bathrooms don't sell houses lol). Overall they were the most consistent. Kyal and Kara was the most controversial at the open day. Some adored it, some hated it, I am the latter. I appreciate wood, but I don't want a kitchen full of it.

It was pretty obvious that the bald buyers advocate would be desperate to pay up on the last property on offer. He was the losing bidder on the previous three. It was good to be last.

Ch 9 and the contestants really lucked in with the timing of the auction. The market is pretty hot at the moment.

This result makes no sense to me, and it appears according to the online world I'm not in the minority.

Both you and the online world wouldn't have been to open day. Let me tell you if you were there, you would have seen why those two came top 2 at auction.

AtomicBlonde

Cancelled
Sep 23, 2010
Sugar Town
AFL Club
Essendon
Yep, I went. Thought the best 2 were Steve and Chantelle's and the Twins when I viewed it. Both apartments looked 'bigger' and they looked more like a home, both kitchens were OUTSTANDING and they sell houses. Drad and Dale's was good, but nothing exceptional in any room (and bathrooms don't sell houses lol). Overall they were the most consistent. Kyal and Kara was the most controversial at the open day. Some adored it, some hated it, I am the latter. I appreciate wood, but I don't want a kitchen full of it.

But do you respect wood?

It was pretty obvious that the bald buyers advocate would be desperate to pay up on the last property on offer. He was the losing bidder on the previous three. It was good to be last.

He also bid on all 4 properties at the previous block and didn't win a property.

If he'd gone zip and 4 again, he would not have looked very good.

Back