The Bombers ASADA/WADA Saga

Remove this Banner Ad

On the back of the recently released AFL Monopoly game, now comes just in time for Christmas, Cluedo – AFL Style

Unlike the years it takes to play out the real thing, Cluedo – AFL Style speeds up the process by removing complicated and time consuming court hearings but keeps the reality of the guesswork. So even if only armed with flimsy circumstantial evidence of, had the motive, had the ‘weapon’ had the marketing slogan, even ASADA in little over an hour can deduce in a very authoritative type voice it was;
  • Dr Swollen Plumbs
  • In the gymnasium
  • With the PEDS
*Apologies if this has been done elsewhere, I, like most of us am well past dredging through a billion posts on the subject.

Two former Essendon players embroiled in the ASADA scandal are considering taking a deal
"That deal would involve players missing two games of football," McClure said.

"That would have huge ramifications for the rest of the Essendon players."
2 weeks of football, HUGE.
I know, the ramifications are being called "huge", not the 2 weeks, but still, how huge do they reckon is huge? Is anyone realistically expecting huge ramifications for players?
Almost certainly, one would be Ryder and the other, possibly Crameri? Big deal, 2 weeks. Sort of defeats the purpose of making players/athletes responsible.

Two former Essendon players embroiled in the ASADA scandal are considering taking a deal

2 weeks of football, HUGE.
I know, the ramifications are being called "huge", not the 2 weeks, but still, how huge do they reckon is huge? Is anyone realistically expecting huge ramifications for players?
Almost certainly, one would be Ryder and the other, possibly Crameri? Big deal, 2 weeks. Sort of defeats the purpose of making players/athletes responsible.
That is huge IMO. All along the club has said they have taken nothing illegal. To take a deal would suggest they did and would tar the club in it's entirety IMO. Cronulla had a similar kind of deal too IIRC.

That is huge IMO. All along the club has said they have taken nothing illegal. To take a deal would suggest they did and would tar the club in it's entirety IMO. Cronulla had a similar kind of deal too IIRC.
Yeah, but the Cronulla deal was soft too. They missed a few games at the end of a season in which they weren't going to play finals in anyway IIRC. Suspensions for Cronulla were mostly served over the off-season.
I lost most interest in the Essendon saga a long time ago, but my recollection is that they didn't know what was taken, or at least couldn't show/prove what was taken. Their defense hasn't been as much "We are innocent" as it has been "You can't prove we're guilty".
To use an old analogy, no smoking gun was found, but we've seen the receipts for the ammunition. I think the broader community accepts in all probability, illegal substances were used, just can't 100% prove it.

I don't like the sound of deals like that. I feel sorry for individual athletes and how harsh they get it
Not having a go here, but those to statements seem at odds. You feel sorry for how harsh, athletes cop it, but don't like the sound of deals for cooperating?
While I think the athletes (players) should be accountable for what they've been administered, I also don't think they were aware and the programme was all at the hands of certain people at the club.
I don't mind a deal being done for those who cooperate, if it helps expose those truly responsible. 2 games isn't much, but it shouldn't be confused with 2 weeks. It could be 2 months with time served in the pre-season. Missing 2 games takes them to the middle of April.
My main beef is that time is allowed to be served outside of the season proper.

Article doesn't say if the former Bombers are still at AFL level......which gives credence to the rumor doing the rounds..."With an outcome still a way off.. a couple of ex- Bombers have missed out on contracts as players/coaches in lower grade/country leagues around the Country."

Not having a go here, but those to statements seem at odds. You feel sorry for how harsh, athletes cop it, but don't like the sound of deals for cooperating?
While I think the athletes (players) should be accountable for what they've been administered, I also don't think they were aware and the programme was all at the hands of certain people at the club.
I don't mind a deal being done for those who cooperate, if it helps expose those truly responsible. 2 games isn't much, but it shouldn't be confused with 2 weeks. It could be 2 months with time served in the pre-season. Missing 2 games takes them to the middle of April.
My main beef is that time is allowed to be served outside of the season proper.
Yeah sorry it was probably poorly worded. Its just the difference in how individual athletes such as track and field athletes can get the full 1/2/4 years penalties but the WADA code doesn't deal with team sports well. The way they can deal as a whole and as you say get mostly off-season punishments. Just doesnt quite seem fair to me. Even taking into account co-oporation and so forth.

Im also generally dissatisfied how because it is a team sport strict liability seems to go out of the window. Seems that the greater punishment should be coming down on the club for this but again the WADA code doesn't seem well set up to it.

Seems in general that I was a bit naive of about drugs in sport and this saga has opened my eyes a fair bit across a number of sports. Its disillusioned me a fair bit when I can see how many issues there are and how it seems like comparatively very little is being done to stop it

Yeah, but the Cronulla deal was soft too. They missed a few games at the end of a season in which they weren't going to play finals in anyway IIRC. Suspensions for Cronulla were mostly served over the off-season.
I lost most interest in the Essendon saga a long time ago, but my recollection is that they didn't know what was taken, or at least couldn't show/prove what was taken. Their defense hasn't been as much "We are innocent" as it has been "You can't prove we're guilty".
To use an old analogy, no smoking gun was found, but we've seen the receipts for the ammunition. I think the broader community accepts in all probability, illegal substances were used, just can't 100% prove it.
Yeah I agree. But I also think that these reasons you've given are why them taking a deal would be such a big er....deal. It's pretty much an admission of guilt IMO.

The only reason I would be OK with the players getting a lesser sentence would be I feel that the suspension from the game is meant to be time for them to lose the advantage that they received from taking the drugs. Obviously with this having taken so long that advantage is long gone.

But it seems unfair that the players who didn't get the injections (eg Goddard etc) should be penalised for what the club did when they weren't there.

Finally as a sports person its your obligation to ensure what ever drugs get put into your body are legal, otherwise there would be no accountability if you could just say "but he told me it was safe!"

Article doesn't say if the former Bombers are still at AFL level......which gives credence to the rumor doing the rounds..."With an outcome still a way off.. a couple of ex- Bombers have missed out on contracts as players/coaches in lower grade/country leagues around the Country."

If I was to have a guess I'd say it would be Monfries and Ryder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I was to have a guess I'd say it would be Monfries and Ryder.

The rumour doing the traps relates a certain Jim Jess client ... by the initials Lovett-Murray...who has already gone public against the supplement programme..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back