The Bombers ASADA/WADA Saga

Remove this Banner Ad

What's the AFL to do? While ASADA might never get a player suspended, it's likely that Hal Hunter's civil suit against EFC will probably be successful and I'd be surprised if a few players don't follow. So given the AFL is satisfied that it has resolved the management issue with punishments already dished out, what happens if the compensation claims put EFC to the wall. Are we to expect a handout from the AFL?

Interested to see if WADA actually do anything from here....

Talk on 360 was that it would be unlikely given the burden of proof in the court they would have to appeal in is higher than the burden of proof that the dons players were cleared under, or something like that.

Talk on 360 was that it would be unlikely given the burden of proof in the court they would have to appeal in is higher than the burden of proof that the dons players were cleared under, or something like that.

What about the burden of corruption?

I thought someone said it was lower? Or that it appeared the AFL tribunal had taken the burden of proof to be higher than they should have?

I thought someone said it was lower? Or that it appeared the AFL tribunal had taken the burden of proof to be higher than they should have?
They said the burden of proof of the afl tribunal was higher than some and that Armstrong would have gotten off if they had the same at the tribunal he was charged under, but then wada have to appeal to court of arbitration for sport which is higher again

I'd have thought an appeal court is required to apply the same proof standard but that the grounds of appeal might be potentially limited, making an appeal more difficult.
I don't know the Latin term (something de novo? they were saying on HTB) but I think CAS basically take it as a new trial

Wow. Honestly did not see that coming.

The circus rolls on.
Yeah, I don't know. 34 players, administered something????????
I don't know the legals, but I can't say I was happy with the previous findings. ASADA couldn't prove they took anything wrong, the club admit they administered something, of which they were concerned enough to put up their hand after the fact, and can't show what it was (with sufficient evidence).
It's tricky, and I can't say either guilt or innocence is truly the right call.
Without blame on an under-resourced ASDADA, it can't be denied the case could have been handled better.

ASADA only have power to refer their findings to the AFL tribunal, hence no appeal. WADA on the other hand will have their findings heard by a Court of Arbitration for sport. How do the powers differ, if at all?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, I don't know. 34 players, administered something????????
I don't know the legals, but I can't say I was happy with the previous findings. ASADA couldn't prove they took anything wrong, the club admit they administered something, of which they were concerned enough to put up their hand after the fact, and can't show what it was (with sufficient evidence).
It's tricky, and I can't say either guilt or innocence is truly the right call.
Without blame on an under-resourced ASDADA, it can't be denied the case could have been handled better.

ASADA only have power to refer their findings to the AFL tribunal, hence no appeal. WADA on the other hand will have their findings heard by a Court of Arbitration for sport. How do the powers differ, if at all?
Sounds like they have all the same powers, no more no less. They just hear it as a new case under the AFL rules but with different (and I think the point is) more independent judges

Just couldn't see how WADA could let it go through to the keeper, even if cleared at appeal, unless the Bombers can actually prove what was injected, will they ever be truly able to put this behind them?

They may look like a pretty united group ATM but I reckon some players will be getting totally fed up.

Another 8 months of scrutiny, lawyers and Essendon still being unable to confirm what they were given and I think we will see more Paddy Ryders.

what an absolutely beautiful thing to wake up to this morning as if sunday wasn't good today is just about as good i reckon

love seeing all the smug bummers people squirming :D:D:D

what an absolutely beautiful thing to wake up to this morning as if sunday wasn't good today is just about as good i reckon

love seeing all the smug bummers people squirming :D:D:D

Ugh. What an awful sentiment.

They may look like a pretty united group ATM but I reckon some players will be getting totally fed up.

Another 8 months of scrutiny, lawyers and Essendon still being unable to confirm what they were given and I think we will see more Paddy Ryders.

I reckon you're right.

No matter how close you feel to your teammates, nobody wants to be surrounded by this stuff all day every day.

I feel for the players. I was chatting to Travis Cloke a few weeks ago and when I was speaking to him I kept thinking, he's just a kid. I know he's 28 but most of them are just kids who blindy accept what the club tells them. The players are put through all this stress, constant negativity from the media/public, their families, their partners, their kids, it's a shame that it has happened. The sooner this is all over the better it will be for every one.

The thing that angers me is the attitude of some Essendon fans. There's one bloke I know who is insistent that the club has done nothing wrong and any player who is concerned about the lack of records kept is a sook and needs to harden up.

The big issue for me is not the legality of the substances, it's the fact that these young men don't have records of what they were injected with - particularly if this stuff causes health issues for them down the track. This could be life or death we're talking about, and noynot just the players either, potential children could be affected.

I feel for the players. I was chatting to Travis Cloke a few weeks ago and when I was speaking to him I kept thinking, he's just a kid. I know he's 28 but most of them are just kids who blindy accept what the club tells them. The players are put through all this stress, constant negativity from the media/public, their families, their partners, their kids, it's a shame that it has happened. The sooner this is all over the better it will be for every one.
I agree to a point. There would have been pressure to take these substances from the Club and the Doctor who would have assured you it's safe... But on the flip side, when I signed my lucrative rookie deal, I would have been aware I was bound by a strict anti-drug policy, one that places the onus on the players to regulate what they put into their bodies, then I wouldn't have agreed to the administered treatment.

Maybe I'm risk-averse and happy to stand up for myself when being pressured, and maybe it's harder for some of these kids. I don't know.

I started out at a sympathetic point for the players... but I think that if they are happy to take the dollars that come with the contract, they should protect themselves better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back