The Bombers ASADA/WADA Saga

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/gi...essendon-players/story-fndv8gad-1226960828988

Goddard maintains that the club thinks they've done nothing wrong.. so why did they accept a whack last year.. why did they lose their draft picks, why did they lose their finals spot, why did Hird get banned.. why did Thompson get banned.. why did they have a fine..? You don't cop a whack like that if you did nothing wrong. Even if it was for "governance" issues, it was governance issues over the administration of drugs!!! 1+1=2. They're trying to make it out as if 1+1=window.

Going to be some very rich lawyers after all this is over. Very very rich.

I don't know what you are talking about.

rich-wealthy-money-ceo-cash-pay-compensation-wealth.jpg

Can't help but think while reading through all the news that this whole time Little has flown by the seat of his pants. Just seems he was very warm and open, then bang! He becomes very cold and reclusive towards the AFL, ASADA and greater football public. Not sure I'd be overly happy with his performance through this whole saga. Would have preferred a line drawn right at the start and they stuck to that line.

Going to be some very rich lawyers after all this is over. Very very rich.

Whatever it takes....Was the choice of QC a planned gag by Essendon?

Essendon’s lawyer, Neil Young QC, said there was a risk of “reputational damage”to players if further documents were demanded to be filed to the court before August 11 given that the Bombers had argued the ASADA investigation had been unlawful in breaching its statutory powers and confidentiality requirements by actively involving the AFL in its inquiry.

heraldscum.

Last edited:
If suspensions are given, does anyone think Watson's Brownlow medal award should be taken away? You'd think it would have to be no? Unfortunate, but what else can you do?

Surely if they get suspended it would be for taking a banned substance and if the players took a banned substance than they should get their awards stripped off them.

If suspensions are given, does anyone think Watson's Brownlow medal award should be taken away? You'd think it would have to be no? Unfortunate, but what else can you do?
To be fair, I think what has been alleged to have been taken has been shown to be ineffective. Punish for the illegal activity, but hard to prove it affected any outcomes. I don't think there was any performance enhancing going on.

Just listening to SEN.."Crunch Time" the Essendon saga... Robbo saying that Hird will appeal and will continue till his death to clear his name...... Essendon likely not to...with the general talk being between Robbo and Dermie around Essendon insurers saying enough's enough.....While on air Robbo receives a text message from a "high Essendon official" that Essendon will appeal the decision next week... hilarious

They're certainly going all in.

Ultimately, we are in an era where the AFL is committed to underwriting the debts of all 18 clubs if necessary. What's another million to Essendon?. The AFL will help them on their way back up - they're too valuable not to.

Last edited:
They're certainly going all in.

Ultimately, we are in an era where the AFL is committed to underwriting the debts of all 18 clubs if necessary. What's another million to Essendon ultimately. The AFL will help them on their way back up - they're too valuable not to.

..Robbo saying Essendon amount to date $5million

Yeah, What if suddenly the clubs unite and vote in removing the bombers license and selling it to a stand alone club in Tasmania?..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The real gamble for Essendon in appealing again is they risk more Paddy Ryders getting sick of the protracted uncertainty.

Yep....Not knowing what they were actually injected with....the more this goes on the more likely that risk becomes real.

If they do appeal again, it makes me wonder if their public statements of confidence about fighting the SC notices are all false bravado.

From what I've heard (and I'll defer to the lawyers here) their right to an appeal is not necessarily guaranteed.

The real gamble for Essendon in appealing again is they risk more Paddy Ryders getting sick of the protracted uncertainty.
I think the groundswell of support from members and fans is starting to drop away too.

It seems to me that many fans justified the Federal Court action as a fact finding mission. An appeal serves no purpose in that regard.

I think the groundswell of support from members and fans is starting to drop away too.

It seems to me that many fans justified the Federal Court action as a fact finding mission. An appeal serves no purpose in that regard.
And like most of us, wish it would end rather than dragging it out further.

I guess this is more important to the club from a liability sense. To fail, and have players punished will have an impact on the legal responsibilities of the club and individuals. They could be open to all sorts of litigation, should their players be found 'not innocent' by ASADA.

The result seems to have had a polarising effect. "Fight to the death" on one side vs "enough already" on the other.

Is getting to the stage where I'm genuinely concerned for the future of the club. The AFL can underwrite them, but if members jump off them in hordes on top of mounting legal bills and players wanting out...

I just can't envisage how this can end well for them now. There is always going to be a taint, due, bizarrely, not to the injection of mystery drugs, but to their supreme arrogance in their fight against accepting responsibility.

At what point will the players collectively rebel?

For an appeal to succeed a party must convince the Court that the Judge that heard the original case made an error of law and that the error was of such significance that the decision should be overturned. Some examples of significant errors of law are that the Judge that heard the original case:
  • applied an incorrect principle of law; or
  • made a finding of fact or facts on an important issue which could not be supported by the evidence.
The Court hearing the appeal:
  • does not consider any new evidence or information that was not presented in the original case (except in special circumstances);
  • does not call witnesses to give evidence;
  • does read all the relevant documents filed by the parties for the original case;
  • does read the relevant parts of the transcript of the original case, if available;
  • does listen to legal argument from both parties to the appeal.

I am no fancy big city lawyer but I've skimmed the judgement and I reckon Essendon will have a hard time successfully making a case within this appeals framework.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back