The Bombers ASADA/WADA Saga

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it not curious that the Bombers front runner to replace Hird is Worsfold?
Amazing - in no Daniel Chick fan and I find the timing of today's article distasteful and sadly typical of the media today - but surely someone at Essendon might be able to see there could be a problem

Amazing - in no Daniel Chick fan and I find the timing of today's article distasteful and sadly typical of the media today - but surely someone at Essendon might be able to see there could be a problem
Yep the timing of the article is shocking. Just doesn't need to be done in GF week (especially for an old issue). Two weeks ago or two weeks from now who cares? But right now? Its as you said distasteful at best

I almost thought "Aker was right" when I saw that article, but then I remembered I always got Michael Braun and Daniel Chick mixed up...

Aker said Braun (and others) were on performance enhancing drugs, EPO in particular. Braun eventually sued Channel 7 and Fairfax media for damages for publishing the allegations which he won and he also received an apology from Aker.

According to this story at the time - "In a newspaper article, Akermanis said he suspected an unnamed player taking EPO after "running like Superman" on a hot day".

So in reality it was Aker being petty about a guy out-running him in a game and decided to publicise that fact in the media rather than him actually knowing anything. He didn't name Braun but Channel 7 found out or guessed or something and publicised it.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aker said Braun (and others) were on performance enhancing drugs, EPO in particular. Braun eventually sued Channel 7 and Fairfax media for damages for publishing the allegations which he won and he also received an apology from Aker.

According to this story at the time - "In a newspaper article, Akermanis said he suspected an unnamed player taking EPO after "running like Superman" on a hot day".

So in reality it was Aker being petty about a guy out-running him in a game and decided to publicise that fact in the media rather than him actually knowing anything. He didn't name Braun but Channel 7 found out or guessed or something and publicised it.

I was thinking about the performance enhancing issue from the abuse of prednisone that Chick specifically mentions, I know that him, Cousins and Kerr had exemptions for it from ASADA due to their asthma but the reality is it speeds up recovery. The others being on performance enhancers isn't quite so far fetched when you have one of them admitting it 10 years later.

I think the story goes Worsfold took over when the problems were at their height and he presided over the eventual clean up. Might be a good fit at the Bombers. Interesting that other players have supported there were problems at the club at the time. I guess for some ex-players if you wanted the club investigated for a future legal claim the the best time to highlight the issues is when the media would pick it up and the AFL would be forced to investigate. There are right if they had said something in a few weeks nothing would have happened. Looking at some of their great players at the time there certainly does seem some smoke from some fire somewhere.

Drugs are drugs, no matter what type. He may have got the specific drug type wrong, but he was right on the money that there was something happening at the Eagles.

That's pretty unfortunate logic. He didn't call out the Eagles in general, just the player beating him. He didn't call out Chick or Kerr or Cousins. He might have been throwing a dart but the best we can say is that it hit the right wall while not even coming close to the dartboard.

That's pretty unfortunate logic. He didn't call out the Eagles in general, just the player beating him. He didn't call out Chick or Kerr or Cousins. He might have been throwing a dart but the best we can say is that it hit the right wall while not even coming close to the dartboard.

And before we justify Aker's comments, it is worth noting that he apologised unreservedly to the Eagles player in question.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/akermanis-posts-apology-to-braun/story-e6frg6n6-1111116167370

It is a contrite apology (although he says he didn't regret the initial article). He speaks about being envious of Braun and how he has respect for him as a player and a person.

Akermanis was completely wrong and admitted as such. I don't think he should continue to be hung out to dry for his comments about Braun but, equally, the fact that a different Eagles player admits that there was a culture surrounding different drugs (PED v Recreational) does not make Aker's wrong comments any more right.

Drugs are drugs, no matter what type. He may have got the specific drug type wrong, but he was right on the money that there was something happening at the Eagles.
If you take a "all drugs are the same" approach, you understand every player is on a cocktail of drugs for every game, yeah? Painkillers, etc

I took an aspirin yesterday, anyone know some good Rehabs?

A quick fix up until the '80s was either Bex or Vincent's powders, a mix of aspirin, caffeine and phenacetin.Taken off the market due to the rise of kidney disease with their users.

A quick fix up until the '80s was either Bex or Vincent's powders, a mix of aspirin, caffeine and phenacetin.Taken off the market due to the rise of kidney disease with their users.

A Bombay Tonic...?

And before we justify Aker's comments, it is worth noting that he apologised unreservedly to the Eagles player in question.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/akermanis-posts-apology-to-braun/story-e6frg6n6-1111116167370

It is a contrite apology (although he says he didn't regret the initial article). He speaks about being envious of Braun and how he has respect for him as a player and a person.

Akermanis was completely wrong and admitted as such. I don't think he should continue to be hung out to dry for his comments about Braun but, equally, the fact that a different Eagles player admits that there was a culture surrounding different drugs (PED v Recreational) does not make Aker's wrong comments any more right.

The differences between PED and recreational drug use are pretty murky though at times - in fact it is arguable that what Chick has admitted he, Cousins and Kerr were taking on game days was a PED in the asthma drug even if they had a cover-story for that (they were still taking it at ridiculous levels apparently because they thought it helped them during games).

Now throw in the fact that Chick was convicted of importing steroids after his footy career, and it doesn't take too much suspicion to think players that didn't care what they were taking as long as they didn't get caught may have also been on illegal PEDs.

None of that means that Braun was doing it, or indeed most of the Eagles players. But as much as the timing is a deliberate attempt by Chick to hit back at the Eagles, it is hard to just dismiss out right the things that he has said.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back