The book thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Couldn't find a thread in here on books, non-fiction, fiction, literature and stuff...so I thought I'd start one.

Have just finished reading Richard Flanagan's Man Booker Prize winning novel, The Narrow Road to the Deep North.

Wow, a tour de force of writing, but harrowing. Apparently based on Weary Dunlop, as the central character, and the experiences of Australian POWs on the Thai Burma railway during WWII.

Beautifully written, thoroughly researched, and superbly grounded, the Australian voice rings true and loud in this one. Highly recommended. For me, the best of the recent Booker prize winners.

Well done Richard, also brother of our much loved footy writer, Martin Flanagan.

Couldn't find a thread in here on books, non-fiction, fiction, literature and stuff...so I thought I'd start one.

Have just finished reading Richard Flanagan's Man Booker Prize winning novel, The Narrow Road to the Deep North.

Wow, a tour de force of writing, but harrowing. Apparently based on Weary Dunlop, as the central character, and the experiences of Australian POWs on the Thai Burma railway during WWII.

Beautifully written, thoroughly researched, and superbly grounded, the Australian voice rings true and loud in this one. Highly recommended. For me, the best of the recent Booker prize winners.

Well done Richard, also brother of our much loved footy writer, Martin Flanagan.

There was a book thread in here years ago, but I like the look of your new cyber library book group. :thumbsu:

The Narrow Road to the Deep North is probably the most powerful book I've read all year. That Mrs Flanagan must have been some woman! I love both Martin and Richard. I think you're a historian, aren't you? Did you read The Secret River by Kate Grenville? I'd love to know what you thought of it.

I was running out of meaty books, so I reluctantly started The Forsyte Saga. Reluctantly because Galsworthy was very much out of favour when I was at uni and I've shunned him all these years. But I'm loving the book.

What are you reading Magpie Girl?

There was a book thread in here years ago, but I like the look of your new cyber library book group. :thumbsu:

The Narrow Road to the Deep North is probably the most powerful book I've read all year. That Mrs Flanagan must have been some woman! I love both Martin and Richard. I think you're a historian, aren't you? Did you read The Secret River by Kate Grenville? I'd love to know what you thought of it.

I was running out of meaty books, so I reluctantly started The Forsyte Saga. Reluctantly because Galsworthy was very much out of favour when I was at uni and I've shunned him all these years. But I'm loving the book.

What are you reading Magpie Girl?

Hi Snag
Yes I am a historian, by training, and I have read and loved The Secret River! But The Forsyte Saga is one of my favourite books. So many layers to it. Ridiculous the way authors can be in and out of fashion. Dangerous too, the way certain styles or genres of writing can be popular or promoted, over others. So much modern Australian writing disappoints, which makes the Flanagan and Grenville novels so rewarding.

Hi Snag
Yes I am a historian, by training, and I have read and loved The Secret River! But The Forsyte Saga is one of my favourite books. So many layers to it. Ridiculous the way authors can be in and out of fashion. Dangerous too, the way certain styles or genres of writing can be popular or promoted, over others. So much modern Australian writing disappoints, which makes the Flanagan and Grenville novels so rewarding.

Sadly true. Have you had a go at Hal Porter's The Tilted Cross? It's another early Tasmanian story. It's so distinctively Australian - one of the first books I read when I came here. And one of my all-time greats is The Fortunes of Richard Mahony - a brilliant exploration of the trials of exile.

Loved the latter book, terrific tale of life on the goldfields and in Melbourne during the Boom years of the 19th century, as I recall. Many years since I've read it.

Haven't read the Hal Porter book. Do you recommend it?

Loved the latter book, terrific tale of life on the goldfields and in Melbourne during the Boom years of the 19th century, as I recall. Many years since I've read it.

Haven't read the Hal Porter book. Do you recommend it?
God yes! A very, very interesting style. I also loved his Watcher on the Cast Iron Balcony - the essence of Melbourne.

Just finished reading The Girl in the Spider's Web by David Lagercrantz.
Follows on from Stieg Larsson's Millennium Trilogy (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo etc).

Quite enjoyable but not to the standard of Larsson - his writing was brilliant.

Just finished reading The Girl in the Spider's Web by David Lagercrantz.
Follows on from Stieg Larsson's Millennium Trilogy (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo etc).

Quite enjoyable but not to the standard of Larsson - his writing was brilliant.

I just finished a Wallander novel by Henning Mankell (I've forgotten the title already). Enjoyable, if a bit bleak. I'll have a go at Larsson soon.

Even more bleak, yet brilliantly done is Lisa Genova's Still Alice. I'm listening to the audio book and I'm now feeling very fragile and I'm convinced I've got Alzheimer's. :(:drunk::(

I'm also reading Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel - plenty of lovely Tudor detail and intrigue.:thumbsu:

I just finished a Wallander novel by Henning Mankell (I've forgotten the title already). Enjoyable, if a bit bleak. I'll have a go at Larsson soon.

Even more bleak, yet brilliantly done is Lisa Genova's Still Alice. I'm listening to the audio book and I'm now feeling very fragile and I'm convinced I've got Alzheimer's. :(:drunk::(

I'm also reading Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel - plenty of lovely Tudor detail and intrigue.:thumbsu:
Saw the movie, I loved it, did you see it if so was is it the same as the book? Lisa's book.

If you remember the title, let me know.

Saw the movie, I loved it, did you see it if so was is it the same as the book? Lisa's book.

If you remember the title, let me know.
I did see it, and I enjoyed it; but the book is so much more interesting, and unsettling for a woman of a certain age. :eek: I'd forgotten the names of 2 of our chickens - names I used to know well - and I couldn't remember them until my daughter came home from overseas and told me. I'm now monitoring myself closely.o_O A librarian friend says she hasn't dares read it, because of the effect it's had on so many of her colleagues.

I did see it, and I enjoyed it; but the book is so much more interesting, and unsettling for a woman of a certain age. :eek: I'd forgotten the names of 2 of our chickens - names I used to know well - and I couldn't remember them until my daughter came home from overseas and told me. I'm now monitoring myself closely.o_O A librarian friend says she hasn't dares read it, because of the effect it's had on so many of her colleagues.
Oh I thought you were joking. Maybe you have too much going on. I know I misplace things and it drives me crazy looking for them, I stop and try and visualise my movements then finally find them that way.

If you are really worried there are tests that your doctor can carry out.

Unfortunately the disease is no longer an older persons disease.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh I thought you were joking. Maybe you have too much going on. I know I misplace things and it drives me crazy looking for them, I stop and try and visualise my movements then finally find them that way.

If you are really worried there are tests that your doctor can carry out.

Unfortunately the disease is no longer an older persons disease.
EEEEKKKK! I'm constantly walking into a room and wondering what I'm doing there. But I'm still the best in the family at finding things. And I was joking - iirc.

A song of stone by ian bainks... very original and different book. Great read... interesting twist. Also bainks publishes a sci fi series under ian m bainks whIch take some getting into initially but once youre there you are hooked big time. Again very original and full of wonderful sci fi technology and concepts.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

Forgot to ask, do you listen in the car or at home?

I prefer to handle the book even though I have an Ipad, not the same as holding a book in your hand and turning the pages.

I listen everywhere. It's great to be able to consume story while I'm gardening, driving, cleaning the house, lighting the fire - it takes my mind off the task. BUT it doesn't compare to real reading. I'm happy to listen to an audio book of say crime fiction, but when it comes to the best books I need to read them in the old fashioned way. I have an ipad and e-reader, but rarely use them for reading.

There are some tremendous audio books. The version of Dracula featuring Greg Wise is superb, and revealed to me the brilliance of the novel's structure. Portrait of the Artist As a Young Man is also exceptional, but I knew both these books well and had read them more than once. The audio book is another experience entirely. For sheer entertainment, and to hear one of the most beautiful voices ever, try the Georgette Heyer novels read by Phyllida Nash - Emma Thompson's mother.

God yes! A very, very interesting style. I also loved his Watcher on the Cast Iron Balcony - the essence of Melbourne.

Just discovered this thread. Don't know how it happened; there was a link to somewhere, I clicked, now I'm here. Once I leave I'll probably never find this place again. Typical.

Anyway, I've also read Porter's Watcher, and it is certainly worth a read. It is a literary autobiography, perhaps more literature and autobiography. It is also an intriguing book written by a rather florid character, and it's amusing for the way in which Porter pays out on so many of the 'lesser mortals' of his childhood. But if Porter was a writer without mercy in his depiction of others, he was no less searing in telling of his own pretensions and follies. If you can't take the piss out of yourself, what's the point?

Just discovered this thread. Don't know how it happened; there was a link to somewhere, I clicked, now I'm here. Once I leave I'll probably never find this place again. Typical.

Anyway, I've also read Porter's Watcher, and it is certainly worth a read. It is a literary autobiography, perhaps more literature and autobiography. It is also an intriguing book written by a rather florid character, and it's amusing for the way in which Porter pays out on so many of the 'lesser mortals' of his childhood. But if Porter was a writer without mercy in his depiction of others, he was no less searing in telling of his own pretensions and follies. If you can't take the piss out of yourself, what's the point?

Hi JB, if you are serious, you are in a thread in The Magpie Nest. The Nest is a sub-forum of the main Collingwood page, where the most recent threads are listed. When you open the main Pies page, The Nest link is at the top left. Its the place for all non-footy related threads. Feel free to start one on any topic!

Have you read the next one - can't remember the title - thingy, thing-thum? :straining::drunk:o_O:$
I have ordered Still Alice but I am a bit concerned about you not remembering titles. :D

What annoys me though is when they change the covers of books and I get them only to find that I have read it.:(

I used to buy a lot of books but as I read about 3 a week, I use the local library as too expensive.

Do you guys buy books online? I'm about half and half. If I do buy over the internet, I use a well known Australian-based book supplier, and not an international one. That way I am supporting an Australian company, plus the books (if in stock, and most have been) arrive within a couple of days.

I have been burnt using the mega online international suppliers. I have found the quality of the book can be poor. Plus, buyer beware, and read the options carefully. I once bought a novel by a well known German writer (cant recall the writer or the title:(), and when it arrived it was in German! Well, duh. My fault, and it cost nearly as much to return as it cost to buy in the first place, so I didn't return it! Off it went to the Brotherhood and is probably still sitting in one of the Smith Street op shops waiting for a German reading buyer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back