The Brisbane Lions 2015 trade thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Palmer Bugg Wilson and Hampton might follow Craig and Mellie Lambert north of the Tweed.

Reckon Brisbane could use a tenacious defensive forward, smooth moving half back dasher, third small defender and tough as nails midfielder.

Not sure Brisbane would give us pick 1/2 for those 4? At least they get 4 people who want to go there, can help re-align the culture (if it needs it) and you know they'd be walk up best 22.

Palmer Bugg Wilson and Hampton might follow Craig and Mellie Lambert north of the Tweed.

Reckon Brisbane could use a tenacious defensive forward, smooth moving half back dasher, third small defender and tough as nails midfielder.

Not sure Brisbane would give us pick 1/2 for those 4? At least they get 4 people who want to go there, can help re-align the culture (if it needs it) and you know they'd be walk up best 22.
They have Green, Zorko, Christenson and Robinson.

I am guessing $$$ are a big factor in players wanting to join the club because we aren't exactly the most attractive destination I wouldn't have thought.

Is any other neutral just left sitting there scratching their head as to how a club $13 million in debt (and growing) could possibly use money as a factor in enticing recruits?

I mean surely if any club should be limiting their on field spend to the 95% minimum it's the club with three wins to their name and the worst balance sheet since the merger years under Oakley...

Is any other neutral just left sitting there scratching their head as to how a club $13 million in debt (and growing) could possibly use money as a factor in enticing recruits?

I mean surely if any club should be limiting their on field spend to the 95% minimum it's the club with three wins to their name and the worst balance sheet since the merger years under Oakley...
On the contrary, I'd be getting the best players i can in to get back to winning ways. Better crowds, higher memberships, more sponsorship opportunities. These will pay off debt a hell of a lot quicker than languishing at the bottom of the ladder. Recruiting high end talent would cost, but imo you reap what you sew

On the contrary, I'd be getting the best players i can in to get back to winning ways. Better crowds, higher memberships, more sponsorship opportunities. These will pay off debt a hell of a lot quicker than languishing at the bottom of the ladder. Recruiting high end talent would cost, but imo you reap what you sew

I'm really hesitant to take it further because it isn't a footy economics thread and yours is the obvious counter answer, but I think Brisbane's situation has moved beyond spending money to make money.

At some point you have to cut costs and I'm not entirely sure that overspending by a few hundred thousand on bringing guys in is going to solve the problem of quality going out. Just a thought!

Faced with two alternatives: spend more to try to move up the ladder, get more members, get more sponsors, get more exposure, or spend less and have less debt but no success?

Every club, every single club, every single time would choose the first option. People suggesting that a bottom club should spend less in preference to spending to build success is almost the definition of bad football economics.

I challenge any fan of any other club to say that they would want their club to stay at the bottom of the ladder rather than spend money on building a future. It defies logic and will lead to greater debt and even less hope. The only way out is up.

Packaging up 4 average players does not net you a top 2 draft pick in return. Quantity does not result in quality.
Gotta love it when people package junk players and expect a diamond in return.

As an aside, would Brisbane be interested in Jeremy Howe? 80% sure that he's leaving Melbourne, but surprisingly there's been no talk of his preferred destination.

As an aside, would Brisbane be interested in Jeremy Howe? 80% sure that he's leaving Melbourne, but surprisingly there's been no talk of his preferred destination.

What does he provide besides averaging 2 speccys per game?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What does he provide besides averaging 2 speccys per game?
He's actually got more to his game than just the speccies, but is inconsistent. I rate him higher than Garland who could be on the market as a RFA. Has predominantly played down back this year, and CHB is probably his go long term. Brisbane need some KPDs, and Howe would fit the bill.

Last edited:
He's actually got more to his game than just the speccies, but is inconsistent. I rate him higher the Garland who could be on the market as a RFA. Has predominantly played down back this year, and CHB is probably his go long term. Brisbane need some KPDs, and Howe would fit the bill.

KPD wise we're actually better than some might expect. We have Clarke and Andrews who'll likely be our two main backs, and we have been trialing Paine down there(If he gets another year). We may promote Bourke this draft, and Close could find himself down there when he returns from his ACL. Hipwood has also been swung back/forward with success...So if we draft Schache he may find himself down there.

Not sure if Howe would be happy to move North anyway, but who knows.

I always thought Howe would have kicked on a bit better than he has. He seems to have enough skills and can certainly time a leap at the ball. I wonder if playing in a stronger team would show more of his capabilities. For this reason, I don't know if Brisbane would get any more out of him than Melbourne has. Definitely not a terrible player but probably doesn't offer quite enough of what either club need most right now. A top club might have the right role for him.

I always thought Howe would have kicked on a bit better than he has. He seems to have enough skills and can certainly time a leap at the ball. I wonder if playing in a stronger team would show more of his capabilities. For this reason, I don't know if Brisbane would get any more out of him than Melbourne has. Definitely not a terrible player but probably doesn't offer quite enough of what either club need most right now. A top club might have the right role for him.
As a forward, Howe was playing in a team that rarely got the ball inside 50, so he was bound to be inconsistent. As a defender, he's been utilised as a spare man. I think that he would be better suited playing as a key defender with a designated opponent. He's great in the air, and is decent with ball in hand. As I said, I'd rather keep him than Garland.

As a forward, Howe was playing in a team that rarely got the ball inside 50, so he was bound to be inconsistent. As a defender, he's been utilised as a spare man. I think that he would be better suited playing as a key defender with a designated opponent. He's great in the air, and is decent with ball in hand. As I said, I'd rather keep him than Garland.

Fair enough. I admit I haven't seen enough of him this year but I could see his skills could make him a very useful defender one-on-one. Definitely a great player in the air and would be a real handful if you put him on a second or third tall forward. He has more to work with than Garland I think.

Howe isn't exactly what Brisbane needs (though we would find a role for him) and it would be a shame if Melbourne lost him to a top club. I hope you keep him.

I'm really hesitant to take it further because it isn't a footy economics thread and yours is the obvious counter answer, but I think Brisbane's situation has moved beyond spending money to make money.

At some point you have to cut costs and I'm not entirely sure that overspending by a few hundred thousand on bringing guys in is going to solve the problem of quality going out. Just a thought!

Been down the austerity track for the five years prior to last year. Undermanned football department, paying the mandated minimum of the cap, shitty facilities, barely manned off-field staff. Basically it just led to stagnation.

Been down the austerity track for the five years prior to last year. Undermanned football department, paying the mandated minimum of the cap, shitty facilities, barely manned off-field staff. Basically it just led to stagnation.

Do you believe bringing Beams and Christensen in has been beneficial to the clubs finances?

Geelong, Richmond, Hawthorn and Collingwood all got their house in order off-field as the priority and then the results came on-field. Your current CEO was steering the ship when Collingwood corrected the business and he's as good as any administrator going around.

I guess at the end of the day I'd be prioritising getting the Lambert's back on board and finding an A grade replacement for Dean Warren ahead of maximising the clubs cap spend (perhaps throwing a few hundred thousand of the money saved on the cap at Fagan would be more advantageous).

I understand that the QLD market is unique, but what's the next step if overspending on players to lure them north doesn't correct things?..

GWS could do a lot worse than just receive Brisbane's 2015 third-round pick, and then receive Brisbane's 2016 second round pick in exchange for GWS's 2016 third round pick.

Do you believe bringing Beams and Christensen in has been beneficial to the clubs finances?

Geelong, Richmond, Hawthorn and Collingwood all got their house in order off-field as the priority and then the results came on-field. Your current CEO was steering the ship when Collingwood corrected the business and he's as good as any administrator going around.

I guess at the end of the day I'd be prioritising getting the Lambert's back on board and finding an A grade replacement for Dean Warren ahead of maximising the clubs cap spend (perhaps throwing a few hundred thousand of the money saved on the cap at Fagan would be more advantageous).

I understand that the QLD market is unique, but what's the next step if overspending on players to lure them north doesn't correct things?..

Pretty sure the are coming back and Craig will be taking on Dean's job with Mel overseeing player welfare.

Pretty sure the are coming back and Craig will be taking on Dean's job with Mel overseeing player welfare.

Cool I wasn't aware that Craig's role was changing from the one he currently fills at GWS. I'd probably look to keep him in the same role myself because by all reports he's the best in the business at it, but I hazard a guess that career progression has played a part.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back