Oppo Camp "The Grass Isn't Greener On The Other Side" - AFL Clubs Outside Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 5, 2002
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
*Mod Edit - All - After some discussion behind the scenes we are opening this thread for rational discussion on AFL Clubs outside of Collingwood.

This is not to turn into a specific Brisbane bashing thread or any one club, but more for open discussion on the perceived management/mis-management of other clubs in general.

This thread will be closely monitored and as soon as the discussion turns abusive towards clubs or posters it will be shut down.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought we should start a thread to collate the hypocrisies of the past and future of other clubs outside of the Pies. I'll get the ball rolling with Brisbane noting that reportedly Brisbane are not happy to broker a trade of Aish to us:
  • Daniel Bradshaw & Michael Rischetelli: This probably started the rot at Brisbane. They tried to trade these blokes who had been loyal servants of the club. The attempted trade was to get Fevola out of Carlton. It backfired after Rischetelli refused to go to Carlton. It's all good for Brisbane to move on players as they please. Hypocrites.
  • Dayne Beams: Targeted a player in contract. They had no qualms targeting a player who we had put plenty of investment into. Hypocrites.
  • Jack Redden & James Aish: They are willing to trade Redden, but not Aish. Why? Because they want to get something for Redden before he becomes a free agent at the end of 2016 and they believe that their free agency compensation won't be enough. Yet, they are willing to let Aish walk to the draft because they want to "make a statement" and they don't care about the compensation? Okay then. Nice double standards.
These are off the top of my head. Any others?

They won't assist a player to get where he wants to go, but they have no problems.....
  1. Recruiting players from elsewhere when in contact;
  2. Trading blokes that didn't want to be traded and;
  3. Denying one bloke going where he wants to go, but be willing to trade others in the very same year. All in the name of "adequate compensation".
I wonder how many blokes Leigh Matthews traded over the years that didn't want to leave? Or how many he poached from elsewhere, particularly early in their careers?

Matthews was responsible for getting us Buckley, was he not? I suppose you had no problems with that Lethal?

Who else was there?

Last edited by a moderator:
Please, half your 02-03 team was built around poaching other players/ contracted coaches

Beams didn't see eye to eye with Buckley, he didn't like the Leading Team meetings and wasn't happy with Thomas & Shaw leaving. Brisbane approached him mid year, offered him a massive deal and the sick father wasn't even a consideration.

Please, half your 02-03 team was built around poaching other players/ contracted coaches
And your flags were AFL sanctioned.

None of that changes the fact your club is being an ass/posturing for another hand out.

All the while you want to stop Aisho getting to where he wants to & convince Oxley to go PSD.

Last edited:
I find it Funny when Lions want a Player they say we where Unfair. We got the Trade Done and Beams got to go home.

But we want Aish they Chuck a Tanty like a 2 year old.

Both team have to be Fair with each other

The new 4 years minimum service required by Matthews is a good one.

I doubt very much the Lions have held on to all their draftees for 4 years.
I actually think there should be a ROSO of some degree depending on where guys are drafted. It's a tough one because Aish has done his time at Brisbane and regardless of the morals behind it, legally he's out of contract and can move. If he was contracted, sure, play hard ball, but why is this Aish's fault.

Like any job, if you sign for a certain period, and this is typical in defence, you do that time and you then leave. You can transfer services or you can just leave. Why are footballers different. I mean in some work areas employers actually spend millions of dollars in training a guy and at the end many do say "this isn't for me".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually think there should be a ROSO of some degree depending on where guys are drafted. It's a tough one because Aish has done his time at Brisbane and regardless of the morals behind it, legally he's out of contract and can move. If he was contracted, sure, play hard ball, but why is this Aish's fault.

Like any job, if you sign for a certain period, and this is typical in defence, you do that time and you then leave. You can transfer services or you can just leave. Why are footballers different. I mean in some work areas employers actually spend millions of dollars in training a guy and at the end many do say "this isn't for me".

ROSO....short for?

Cmon now if it wasn't for the trade period no one would know that the BearLions still exist.

Let them have their fun, the deals will get done in the end.

Yep, it works brilliantly well in the NBA where most of the first round draftees sign initial 2 year deals with a team option (i.e the team decides whether or not to extend the initial contract on a slightly higher wage) for an additional two years before the player hits restricted free agency.. at which point the initial club still has every right to match player contracts and keep their kids around.

ROSO....short for?
Return Of Service Obligation - sorry

I've worked a few areas that have this and it's usually where employees invest heavily in your training. Typically of the top of my head it's 1.5 - 2 years years per training provided. When I first joined the RAAF I had 3 years training so signed on for 6 years.

Return Of Service Obligation - sorry

I've worked a few areas that have this and it's usually where employees invest heavily in your training. Typically of the top of my head it's 1.5 - 2 years years per training provided. When I first joined the RAAF I had 3 years training so signed on for 6 years.

Ok thanks.

Isn't the 2 years minimum contract the AFL's ROSO?

Its short but all stakeholders agreed to it presumably.

Ok thanks.

Isn't the 2 years minimum contract the AFL's ROSO?

Its short but all stakeholders agreed to it presumably.
Yeah it is, but is it sufficient? I think maybe it is but obviously Brisbane disagrees. This is where they should be directing their concern and angst and not Aish or Collingwood as he's club of choice. We've had no play in this, so it's not our fault Aish want's to come here.

Brisbane need's to concentrate on strengthening the internal culture and attraction of their own club and on the rules that govern player movements, academy and COLA from the AFL rather than attacking things outside of their control.

It serves no purpose to the game, it's players and even Brisbane's interest so they need to grow up a little and make improvements using things in their control.

Yeah it is, but is it sufficient? I think maybe it is but obviously Brisbane disagrees. This is where they should be directing their concern and angst and not Aish or Collingwood as he's club of choice. We've had no play in this, so it's not our fault Aish want's to come here.

Brisbane need's to concentrate on strengthening the internal culture and attraction of their own club and on the rules that govern player movements, academy and COLA from the AFL rather than attacking things outside of their control.

It serves no purpose to the game, it's players and even Brisbane's interest so they need to grow up a little and make improvements using things in their control.

The way I see it if Brisbane want a longer ROSO then they should be arguing for it around the table at AFL house, its really nothing to do with Aish.

It cuts both ways though and I would have thought the AFLPA may want secure tenure and guaranteed payout as a trade off thereby driving up costs. Not everything can be compared to the USA where there is a fully fledged college system and players are older when drafted.

I don't really have any issue with Brisbane forcing Aish into the draft, but they should have at least left the door open for a fair trade. i.e. A first rounder or he goes to the draft.

If Aish wanted to go home then its a different story and the club should try and make it happen, much like Beams last year, if a player wants to go home and play close to his family and friends you can't hold that against him.

I'm not fussed what other clubs do. If they trade fairly or force players into pre season drafts that's their choice.
We should act in the best interests of Collingwood as that is the clubs duty.
Of course there are many factors...
Overall though, I'm surprised clubs don't become more helpful to themselves because of swings and roundabouts.
Being petty just consumes too much energy.
Each to their own

This whole Aish situation simply has to be nothing more than posturing right?

I mean, seriously, what does it achieve? Short term? Long term? Do they think 16-17 year olds about to be drafted are looking at this situastion thinking "Wow, look at what Brisbane are putting Aish through, can't wait to play there!"?

They could have easily said they won't be letting Aish go without a very favourable trade from Collingwood. The fact that they've said they flat out WON'T trade him worries me a bit. I'd be surprised if they trade him after saying they flat out won't. They'd look even more foolish than they already do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back