Analysis The Buddy deal, one year on

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure any of them saw the Wanderers coming.

Even if they saw them coming, they certainly didn't see the success nor the fan and community involvement.

Basically the Wanderers are what ther LWS should be off the field and starting to get to their success. But hey Canberra is part of Western Sydney these days right:rolleyes:

western sydney has always been the heartland of soccer. strong support was already there, it was just a matter of giving them a team.

i wonder if south sydney would have been a better move by the afl? either way, the giants have their work cut out for them and it'll probably take 20 years before rheyve established a fair supporter base, whether they survive hat long is another question

Even if they saw them coming, they certainly didn't see the success nor the fan and community involvement.

Basically the Wanderers are what ther LWS should be off the field and starting to get to their success. But hey Canberra is part of Western Sydney these days right:rolleyes:
western sydney has always been the heartland of soccer. strong support was already there, it was just a matter of giving them a team.

i wonder if south sydney would have been a better move by the afl? either way, the giants have their work cut out for them and it'll probably take 20 years before rheyve established a fair supporter base, whether they survive hat long is another question
Yup.

Basically, everyone in Sydney knows the Swans, and Buddy is just adding to that in spades.

But when I walk round western Sydney, which I do a fair bit, I see Wanderers shirts everywhere. It's incredible. And not a single Giants shirt.

Geez, we pick up two players for heavy coin and it's still the biggest news story of the AFL. What about the fact that most of our team were scrap pickups and late picks ? Acquiring the Buddy/Tippet was an astute move. It cost us in terms of having to move on or retire some pretty good talent but it needed doing. Goodes couldn't be expected to hold up the forward line with a slow maturing Sam Reid. It's been our weakness since the loss of the MickyO/BBB combination and now it's addressed. What scared the other teams (who have also spent big coin on players) was that they knew it was our only real weakness. Our midfield has plenty of talent coming through and our back line's been as solid as Uluru since Dunkley times. GF aside, the results of the home/away season in 2014 reflected this very clearly. Obviously we have weaknesses to address but at least now we have the talent to get it right.

Geez, we pick up two players for heavy coin and it's still the biggest news story of the AFL. What about the fact that most of our team were scrap pickups and late picks ? Acquiring the Buddy/Tippet was an astute move. It cost us in terms of having to move on or retire some pretty good talent but it needed doing. Goodes couldn't be expected to hold up the forward line with a slow maturing Sam Reid. It's been our weakness since the loss of the MickyO/BBB combination and now it's addressed. What scared the other teams (who have also spent big coin on players) was that they knew it was our only real weakness. Our midfield has plenty of talent coming through and our back line's been as solid as Uluru since Dunkley times. GF aside, the results of the home/away season in 2014 reflected this very clearly. Obviously we have weaknesses to address but at least now we have the talent to get it right.

Great post

You blokes have got Lebron James, he's worth every cent. I was living in Sydney for the 12 months Buddy made his move and I could not believe the media attention he generated, he was easily the most reported on Sydney/NSW athlete.

Enjoy the ride, the guy is a phenomenon.

HawKs Fans still like to tell us what to think about buddy

I'm not telling you how to feel about him.. I love watching him play just as much for you guys as I did for us, he will go down as a legend of both clubs.

I really feel by the end of his career he should be held in the same light as Wayne Carey, a remarkable footballer.

I won't keep butting in, I'll be on my way. Enjoy the Buddy show lads :)

I'm not telling you how to feel about him.. I love watching him play just as much for you guys as I did for us, he will go down as a legend of both clubs.

I really feel by the end of his career he should be held in the same light as Wayne Carey, a remarkable footballer.

I won't keep butting in, I'll be on my way. Enjoy the Buddy show lads :)

I skimmed your post but I got the gist

...'he will go down'....'Wayne Carey'.....'butting'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also think he just re-signed with them as well for another two years
Gday Rob,
Just a friendly correction but I believe the 2year extension you're referring to may have been Puopolo?
(just arrived back from camping, however, so apologies if there's been news in the past 48hours that I haven't yet caught up on)

Gday Rob,
Just a friendly correction but I believe the 2year extension you're referring to may have been Puopolo?
(just arrived back from camping, however, so apologies if there's been news in the past 48hours that I haven't yet caught up on)

Saw that one. Don't really keep an eye on the Hawks and their re-contracting so its possible I've mixed it up, hence why I said I think he had re-signed. Also happy to be corrected when I'm uncertain

The opportunity came up to get Buddy to the club and the Swans took it - it would have been negligent not to given the club could afford it. The AFL would have been spewing he didn't join GWS, and the rules they put in place are the same ones they've cracked the shits about (COLA). Amateur hour at the AFL.

He continues to deliver and will go down as a Hawks and Swans great, just as Plugger was a Saints and Swans great and I hope he continues to entertain us all for years to come.

But....

He won't play the full nine years of his contract - the Swans will be paying him out after he has finished. If he plays the full nine years he will have played over 400 games roughly....or be closing in on it. There's a reason only two men have ever played over 400 games (will change this year with Fletcher and Harvey). Because it's bloody tough to achieve, no matter the length of the contract or however much money the bloke is getting. Best of luck to him as I love watching him play...but nine years means he will have played almost 20 seasons.....not going to happen I'm afraid.

Maybe someone should start a thread on the Tippett Deal and see how that turns out.:rolleyes:

3AW reporting he has a knee injury and will miss a couple of weeks training and won't play before Rd 1.

We know what this means. Lucky to see him before halfway.:rolleyes:

Seriously over him. Only has to look at a Sherrin and he gets hurt. For starters to ******* top heavy and has only got bigger over summer. Like what he could be for the club but it is never going to happen. Bookmark it. Waste of time and money and like Reid is the great white hope who delivers **** all.

A few days ago he was fitter than ever wouldnt believe every report you hear when there is nothing else about

Where Tippett is concerned I would. You can count on him missing the start of the season. So in my opinion Buddy will carry the scoring weight on his shoulders again where we will bomb away to him while he is two outed in contests and his support act in Reid will run around like a headless chook as per his normal output. If this is to be the case give Nankervis a taste up forward and see how he goes. Sorry if I have offended with my opinion Sir Swans but calling as I see it.

Where Tippett is concerned I would. You can count on him missing the start of the season. So in my opinion Buddy will carry the scoring weight on his shoulders again where we will bomb away to him while he is two outed in contests and his support act in Reid will run around like a headless chook as per his normal output. If this is to be the case give Nankervis a taste up forward and see how he goes. Sorry if I have offended with my opinion Sir Swans but calling as I see it.

Never offend me mate
Im just hoping its all crap that is all.

If it were true then damn!!! Id have to agree

Remove this Banner Ad

Back