Food/Supplements The bulk + cut thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 12, 2008
Rehab
AFL Club
Essendon
I just downloaded a couple of his books and gave them a quick skim. I'm going to start tomorrow. As long as my lifts aren't greatly affected, then I don't see why I can't do it.

If it's successful, I shall post pics :p

You won't start until after Monday ;)

I've tried a lot of his recipes but I've never tried his cutting methods. I'll be interested to hear first hand how it goes :thumbsu:

Upon further consideration - rather than doing this half-arsed, I'm going to give it about a month and then start strictly. In the month leading up, I'm going to slowly change my diet so that it's not such a big shock to the system. I think this is the best way, it gives me plenty of time to prepare mentally for the challenge. I'm also not 'ready' to cut down. My gridiron season finished two weeks ago, in which time I've already put on a couple of kilo's to be back above 80. I love it here. I will try to time it to coincide with my leaving for Europe, I'm sure looking ripped isn't going to hurt my chances over there ;).

And I've posted it here so I have to do it.

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
I've been watching a lot of Layne Norton on You Tube lately, his vlogs are great (about 24 all up). They cover a lot of different topics, he really gets into the topic of metabolic damage/adaptation. One key point i picked up on when trying to cut weight, which seems very obvious lose weight on as much calories as possible, i.e. if your maintenance calories in 3000, don't just go cutting 800 calories straight up, drop off 200 calories and see how you go. Likewise when bulking or finished a cut, don't go straight into eating excess calories, slowly ramp them up.

workout your calorie maintenance, eat 500 calories above it. if you find that your putting on more fat than you would like, just cut it back to say 300 calories above maintenance.

4kgs of muscle a year is great by the way

Sorry only just saw this, thanks! Yeah I'm definitely looking at a bulk.

So using IIFYM this is what has been calculated for my macros:

Carbs: 302.4g
Protein: 123.2g
Fat: 49.3g
Cals: 2146

Seems like an awful lot of carbs :/

metcard99

Debutant
Sep 7, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide

Seems like a fair amount in comparison to the others. Are you a male? And age? Because if you're still only 56 kgs i dont think the extra carbs will be too detrimental to fat gain (i'm guessing you have a pretty quick metabolism), but i'd probably be more inclined to up the fats by nearly double the recommended 50. Also as you've used the term 'bulk' i gather you're accepting of a little fat gain a long the way.

I came across this the other night if you're interested. The guy's name is Ryan Terry and he's a fitness model. Google him to see pics. It's relevant though because like the macro's prescribed for you he has a lot of carbs, a lot of protein and very minimal fat. It obviously works pretty good for him though!

"Age: 25
Height: 5’10” – 178 cm
Weight: 187 lbs – 85 kg

What is your diet like?
Below is a diet I tend to follow all year round, I can stay relatively lean from this and I would only need to alter a few things in order to be ready for a photo-shoot or to get competition ready.

Daily Diet:

• Meal 1: 120g Oats, 30g Blueberries, 10g Almonds & 30g of Whey Protein
  • Meal 2: 3 Eggs & 2 slices of Granary Bread
  • Meal 3: Tin of Tuna, 300g White Potato & Mixed Salad/Vegetables
  • Meal 4: 200g Chicken Breast & 80g Dry White Rice
  • Meal 5: 300g Steak, 200g Sweet Potato & Mixed Vegetables
  • Meal 6: 200g Salmon & Sala"

Seems like a fair amount in comparison to the others. Are you a male? And age? Because if you're still only 56 kgs i dont think the extra carbs will be too detrimental to fat gain (i'm guessing you have a pretty quick metabolism), but i'd probably be more inclined to up the fats by nearly double the recommended 50. Also as you've used the term 'bulk' i gather you're accepting of a little fat gain a long the way.

I'm a female and 27 :) My metabolism is quick and yes, I'm aware I'll be gaining fat as I'm gaining muscle. That doesn't bother me at all!

That diet looks fair easy to follow, thanks.

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!

Any reason for using IIFYM....?

You would be better off eating healthier foods, the fat intake seems low and fats like avocados, nuts seeds are great for building muscle. The reason people steer clear of them so much is because they are higher in calories and when aiming for a calorie target you end up eating less food (i.e. calorie content of 22.5g of carbs is the same as 10g of fat.)

Also if you can be bothered develop a meal plan so you are organised and know you are hitting your calories. It is something i have done and there is time involved prepping food but it is worth it. Also when you want to indulge a little or go out for dinner you can put the IIFYM protocol. At the moment i am hitting between 2400-2600 calories a day, Saturday night i went out for dinner at greek resteraunt without knowing the exact macro intake of what i ate, during the day i cut back on some calories to make "room" for dinner.

Try starting off with the numbers you have listed above, you know your body better than anyone if you feel you are putting on weight/fat to fast cut back a little, likewise if you feel your size is lagging up your calories.

Protein in take looks spot on, 1g per pound of bodyweight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any reason for using IIFYM....?

You would be better off eating healthier foods, the fat intake seems low and fats like avocados, nuts seeds are great for building muscle. The reason people steer clear of them so much is because they are higher in calories and when aiming for a calorie target you end up eating less food (i.e. calorie content of 22.5g of carbs is the same as 10g of fat.)

Also if you can be bothered develop a meal plan so you are organised and know you are hitting your calories. It is something i have done and there is time involved prepping food but it is worth it. Also when you want to indulge a little or go out for dinner you can put the IIFYM protocol. At the moment i am hitting between 2400-2600 calories a day, Saturday night i went out for dinner at greek resteraunt without knowing the exact macro intake of what i ate, during the day i cut back on some calories to make "room" for dinner.

Try starting off with the numbers you have listed above, you know your body better than anyone if you feel you are putting on weight/fat to fast cut back a little, likewise if you feel your size is lagging up your calories.

Protein in take looks spot on, 1g per pound of bodyweight.

Thanks for the advice, I decided to use IIFYM just after doing some research on the net :)

I eat a lot of natural pb and do love avocado so have no problems with fat intake, and yeah, I really do need to start prepping my meals. That's my biggest downfall, I'm very unorganised :(

BloodRet

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2013
Laughing at all the minnows
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Norwich City, Detroit Pistons
Hey guys. I went to the gym last year for a couple of months a few times a week, taking a low-carb protein shake post every workout. I felt good, then I stopped going for about a year. I am trying to get back into it, but this time with some light post-cardio after weight sessions. I am 18 in two months, am 91 kilos and 6' tall. I am not fat and am of a very natural solid and muscular build with broad shoulders. I am looking to gain muscle around my chest, abs, shoulders, arms, traps and legs etc. What I am also trying to do is some light post-cardio workouts, ideally a regular 20 minute jog around a few blocks. The reason I am doing this is to try and burn any excess body fat to try and get my muscles to "stand out" more. Yes, I am trying to get big and build on muscle, but trying to get some nice definition also. I have heard that post-workout cardio may burn muscle, but surely that is just 'bro-science'. So will this plan work to achieve my body structure goals, or should I do something entirely different?

Any advice or tips will be appreciated, including any recommended diet and meal plans, which may include protein shakes (which I have heard are good to take after the gym and/or before post-cardio.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
What I am also trying to do is some light post-cardio workouts, ideally a regular 20 minute jog around a few blocks. The reason I am doing this is to try and burn any excess body fat to try and get my muscles to "stand out" more.
Skip the light cardio, it's not of any use for either bulking or cutting. Do High intensity interval training and/or sprints a couple of times a week instead.

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Thanks for the advice, I decided to use IIFYM just after doing some research on the net :)

I eat a lot of natural pb and do love avocado so have no problems with fat intake, and yeah, I really do need to start prepping my meals. That's my biggest downfall, I'm very unorganised :(

Personally i would steer clear of IIFYM, but each to their own (it will depend on what you eat to hit your macros) when it comes to IIFYM i like most would think pizza, take away foods, ice cream etc. As I always say diet, exercise etc do what you enjoy and can stick to and you will have more success.

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Hey guys. I went to the gym last year for a couple of months a few times a week, taking a low-carb protein shake post every workout. I felt good, then I stopped going for about a year. I am trying to get back into it, but this time with some light post-cardio after weight sessions. I am 18 in two months, am 91 kilos and 6' tall. I am not fat and am of a very natural solid and muscular build with broad shoulders. I am looking to gain muscle around my chest, abs, shoulders, arms, traps and legs etc. What I am also trying to do is some light post-cardio workouts, ideally a regular 20 minute jog around a few blocks. The reason I am doing this is to try and burn any excess body fat to try and get my muscles to "stand out" more. Yes, I am trying to get big and build on muscle, but trying to get some nice definition also. I have heard that post-workout cardio may burn muscle, but surely that is just 'bro-science'. So will this plan work to achieve my body structure goals, or should I do something entirely different?

Any advice or tips will be appreciated, including any recommended diet and meal plans, which may include protein shakes (which I have heard are good to take after the gym and/or before post-cardio.

Avoid steady state cardio, google HIIT cardio for some ideas. It can help you build muscle, look at a sprinter vs. distance runner.

Personally what has worked for me fasted HIIT training in the morning with 5g of BCAA's pre work out and weight sessions in the afternoon.

If you want or have to do cardio post weight sessions, if you do a legs work out try upper body cardio such as rope swings, or those machines ( i don't know the name) where you can pedal handles with your hands, or hit a boxing bag. Vice versa if you do an upper body weight session do some traditional running, hill sprints or HIIT. Personally i find hill sprints are very underrated form of exercise.

Fuzzy Wuzzy Bear

Premiership Player
Oct 28, 2004
New Eden
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
November 18: 74kgs
Now: 94kgs

Height: 6'3. So I am still slender.

20kgs in 3 months and still want to gain another 10kg as I only just passed my healthy BMI. Going to try some kangaroo for the first time for dinner, 27g of protein and 0 fat per serve.

Bobby P

All Australian
Jul 6, 2011
Canberra
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
WHU Dallas Swansea Raiders Brumbies
November 18: 74kgs
Now: 94kgs

Height: 6'3. So I am still slender.

20kgs in 3 months and still want to gain another 10kg as I only just passed my healthy BMI. Going to try some kangaroo for the first time for dinner, 27g of protein and 0 fat per serve.

That's a s**t load of weight in 3 months!! I did that in 6 months and when I started playing footy the next season my legs were stuffed. Shin splints like a mother fecker. Make sure you keep moving with that much extra weight on!

Fuzzy Wuzzy Bear

Premiership Player
Oct 28, 2004
New Eden
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
That's a s**t load of weight in 3 months!! I did that in 6 months and when I started playing footy the next season my legs were stuffed. Shin splints like a mother fecker. Make sure you keep moving with that much extra weight on!

Yeah some of it is creatine water weight I guess. Been slamming down the protein shakes and eating clean like it's my job. I probably put it on fast because for my height I was supposed to be around 90kgs anyway.

My only indulgence is an Anzac biscuit here or there.

Fuzzy Wuzzy Bear

Premiership Player
Oct 28, 2004
New Eden
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I'm still rather slim to be honest.

The reason is because of digestive illness I have been underweight for years, and now thanks to new medication I have it under control and am sick of being underweight. Over the years my weight has gone from 78kgs down to 54kgs when the problems started. Being 6'3 and 54kgs basically makes you look like you've been in a concentration camp. Then going up and down from 70 to 80kgs over years depending on how the illness was flaring.

So after 8 years enough was enough and I am just stacking on the weight while I can and taking advantage. What's the old saying - keeping the foot on the throat. If I can get to 104 then it'll be 50 kgs gained since then. So it's just as a mental win as a physical one too.

hey guys..
I've had a knee reco recently and as I've gotta be in the gym I figured I'd lose some weight and get back into lifting.. havnt really exercised since I did my knee playing footy 7 years ago and I was pretty fit and went to the gym 3 or 4 times a week..

been going to the gym for just over a month and have dropped 6 kilos and added a probably 3 or so kilos in muscle.. I've cleaned my diet up a heap and am eating all the right things.. I know I'm doing pretty well as it is but was wondering if there are any good suppliments anyone could recomend for burning fat and aiding muscle development?
I've probably got another 5 or so kilos of fat to lose to hit my goal

Remove this Banner Ad

Back