The Canberra Connection

Remove this Banner Ad

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I thought it would be cool to start a thread on all things Canberra related for the Giants. As most of us already know, ACT is a part of the GWS zone and also hosts three Giants' home games each season.

Let's start with the stadium. Manuka Oval is located in the affluent district of Manuka. The ground currently has a maximum capacity of 15,000 after the 2011 redevelopment (source). In late 2012/early 2013 floodlights were installed at the ground to allow night matches to be played in both AFL and cricket. The scoreboard, named after cricketer Jack Fingleton, was initially a part of the MCG but was relocated to Canberra in the 1980s. The ground will host the 2015 Big Bash League cricket final on January 28 if anyone is interested. What the ground looks like these days:

FCdrcUh.jpg

Now we'll look at the local league. Canberra has two representative teams in the North East Australian Football League in the form of Ainslie and Eastlake. Ainslie play their home games at Ainslie Oval while Eastlake play at Manuka Oval. Previously two other Canberra clubs (Belconnen and Tuggeranong) played in the NEAFL but were removed from the competition at the end of the 2014 season and began fielding senior teams in the local league. The best performance of a Canberra team in the NEAFL occurred in 2011 when Ainslie reached the Grand Final and lost to the Northern Territory Thunder. Here are the team logos:

MrGc6VY.jpg
3yXbagH.jpg

Now we'll look at the players from the ACT. Probably the most famous player to come out of Canberra is James Hird. He played his junior football for Ainslie and spent 17 years playing for Essendon in the AFL. In 1996 he won the Brownlow Medal and is currently the senior coach of Essendon. Other well known players such as Alex Jesaulenko (Eastlake) and Craig Bolton (Eastlake) have also come out of the ACT. As previously mentioned, ACT is now a part of the Giants' zone and as such gives GWS exclusive access to ACT players through their academy. Jack Steele (Belconnen) was just signed to the club with the 24th pick in the national draft this year after North Melbourne bid pick 15 to recruit him. Here is Jack:

zcmU1lL.jpg

Now we'll look at the crowds. The Giants have averaged pretty consistent crowds at Manuka - 8431 (2012), 8352 (2013) and 8208 (2014). The seemingly low crowds probably have a lot to do with the opposition teams that are being selected to travel to the nation's capital. The Bulldogs (three times), Gold Coast (twice), Melbourne, North Melbourne, Port Adelaide and St Kilda are known for pulling poor crowds at away games so that certainly isn't helping the crowd average. It's something that probably needs to be looked at.

So, let's discuss all things ACT related in here. There are certainly some perks that come with GWS being associated with the ACT. Some talking points - what do you think will improve football in the ACT? Will a two team model in the NEAFL work? How do the Giants attract bigger crowds? Should the stadium be upgraded? Should the Giants draft more players out of the ACT? Should the AFL schedule bigger games at Manuka?

Last edited:
Don't forget that both Josh Bruce and Phil Davis are Canberra boys - ok so Bruce is gone, but our Captain is still around.

The addition of floodlights last year has been a massive boost (thanks Andrew). Not only do they look great, they're among the brightest in the country. Now all they have to do is fix the parking - but at least they offer free buses from the city (unlike trains to Spotless).

Don't forget that both Josh Bruce and Phil Davis are Canberra boys - ok so Bruce is gone, but our Captain is still around.

The addition of floodlights last year has been a massive boost (thanks Andrew). Not only do they look great, they're among the brightest in the country. Now all they have to do is fix the parking - but at least they offer free buses from the city (unlike trains to Spotless).
I know Davis is a Canberra boy but he did get drafted out of a SANFL club so I was hesitant to add him to the list. Probably a bit harsh considering he most likely thinks of Canberra as his hometown. Especially now.

The floodlights are definitely a huge boost for the city, not only for Aussie rules but for cricket. They would not be hosting the Big Bash League final this January without those lights so it's a huge thing for the ACT. Here is a little video for anyone who hasn't looked into it very much:

I know Davis is a Canberra boy but he did get drafted out of a SANFL club so I was hesitant to add him to the list. Probably a bit harsh considering he most likely thinks of Canberra as his hometown. Especially now.

The floodlights are definitely a huge boost for the city, not only for Aussie rules but for cricket. They would not be hosting the Big Bash League final this January without those lights so it's a huge thing for the ACT. Here is a little video for anyone who hasn't looked into it very much:

Yeah, he left Canberra when he was 14 or something, the ACTAFL can't really claim his football like they can claim those others you named drafted or recruited out of there.

But for the purposes of our club, and it's growth and acceptance, Phil visiting the old primary school he went to and talking to the kids there, is just invaluable.

Canberra boy.

Yeah, he left Canberra when he was 14 or something, the ACTAFL can't really claim his football like they can claim those others you named drafted or recruited out of there.

But for the purposes of our club, and it's growth and acceptance, Phil visiting the old primary school he went to and talking to the kids there, is just invaluable.

Canberra boy.
Yeah I agree. Just had a look through the Raiders senior list and I found three Canberrans in the form of Ahearn, Campese and Vaughan. Their captain, Campese, grew up in the area and I'm sure that helps them immensely when it comes to marketing the team to the locals. So in that sense it is huge to have Davis captaining the Giants when it comes to trying to sell the game to the locals and actually feeling like it is their team. Drafting Jack Steele will obviously help as well.

Canberra/Quenbeyan Born team of the century

Right Back Pocket Full Back Left Back Pocket
Alan Ware (Manuka) Keith Schow (Queanbeyan, Queanbeyan-Acton, Collingwood, St George, Turner) Alan ‘Ginty’ Stevens (Ainslie & St Kilda – captain)

Right Half Back Flank Centre Half Back Left Half Back Flank
Adrian Barich (Manuka, Perth, West Coast) Robert Franklin (Manuka) Roy Williams (Queanbeyan, Queanbeyan-Acton)

Right Centre Wing Centre Left Centre Wing
Tony Wynd (Queanbeyan) James Hird (Ainslie & Essendon – vice-captain) Michael Kennedy (Queanbeyan, Brisbane, West Adelaide)

Right Half Forward Flank Centre Half Forward Left Half Forward Flank
Michael Werner (Manuka-Weston, West Torrens, Essendon, Sydney) Phil Harper (Mayne & Woodville) Shaun Smith (Ainslie, North Melbourne, Werribee, Melbourne)

Right Forward Pocket Full Forward Left Forward Pocket
Jim Black (Queanbeyan & Queanbeyan-Acton) Aaron Hamill (Tuggeranong, Carlton, St Kilda) Brett Allison (Belconnen, North Melbourne, Sydney)

Ruckman Ruck-rover Rover
Terry Libbis (Eastlake & Woodville) Justin Blumfield (Tuggeranong, Essendon, Richmond) Barry Browning (Ainslie)

Interchange Interchange Interchange
Jim Richardson (Eastlake) Robert Neill (Southern District, Sydney, St Kilda, Norwood) Robert Hughes (Sutherland/Tuggeranong) Ian Low (Manuka, Footscray, Collingwood) Robert Anderson (Queanbeyan & Footscray) Steve Vizy (Queanbeyan)

Coach
Alan ‘Ginty’ Stevens (Ainslie)

The above is the ACTAFL team of the century, these are all Canberra BORN, or Queanbeyan BORN players.

Jezza (Ukranian born), Michael Conlan ( Tassie born) Craig Bolton (timeframe), Don Pyke (born USA ), and a host of other players, including current Adelaide crow Phil Davis (timeframe) , who spent their formative years in Canberra, have not been included.

Last edited:
I'm assuming this is a few years old. Or do you know something the rest of us don't?

The team is quite a few years old, Bolton is not even it because of time frame.

FWIW though, and i have seen them play, Wynd from QB, Franklin and Jimmy Black wold have made very very good VFL/AFL footballers, absolute guns.

Queanbeyan as usual getting a good look in. Queanbeyan has had more then it's fair share of sports stars over the years.
Rugby union/league probably producing the most but the biggest on the world scale would be mark Webber.

I grew up there, since moved on. Still love the town tho

Queanbeyan as usual getting a good look in. Queanbeyan has had more then it's fair share of sports stars over the years.
Rugby union/league probably producing the most but the biggest on the world scale would be mark Webber.

Good tough working class town. :thumbsu:

Very true mate. Don't forget Heather McKay, perhaps the greatest female squash player who ever played the game.

Former premiership captain, Robert Anderson played about 40 games for the bulldogs and another premiership captain and four time Mulrooney winner, Tony Wynd, never player VFL/AFL standard, but does have the distinction of having made an International Rules team in the late 80s. Both were local boys.

Also, Queanbeyan footy club has traditionally attracted quite a few players from the Riverina. Premiership coach, Brian Quade is a cousin of Ricky Quade (from memory), both of them hailing from the Riverina, and Brian's son (I think) is a recent premiership captain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Canberra games in 2015:

Round 2 - GWS v Melbourne @ 2:10pm
Round 4 - GWS v Gold Coast @ 5:40pm (ANZAC Day)
Round 17 - GWS v Geelong @ 1:45pm

The blockbuster is obviously the Geelong game but playing on ANZAC Day is obviously a big thing too. I think the AFL have done well to give Canberra a better quality AFL experience in 2015 when compared to previous years.

Canberra games in 2015:

Round 2 - GWS v Melbourne @ 2:10pm
Round 4 - GWS v Gold Coast @ 5:40pm (ANZAC Day)
Round 17 - GWS v Geelong @ 1:45pm

The blockbuster is obviously the Geelong game but playing on ANZAC Day is obviously a big thing too. I think the AFL have done well to give Canberra a better quality AFL experience in 2015 when compared to previous years.

Agreed. Throw in the Swans pre-season, and it's a decent group of games. Canberra fans haven't seen a win since our first-ever win back in 2012. One or two wins at Manuka this year would be nice.

I'm a Canberran. Started supporting North when I was a kid and Jess Sinclair handed me a 'signed' (signatures were printed on) kangas ball at Woden Plaza. Went to a kids footy clinic at Manuka before a game, and then came the clincher, big Mick Martyn running around in the back line with his big bald head - I loved him. I was hooked and I've never looked back.

I'm telling you all this just to say that those things work, eventually.

I see kids everywhere running around in GWS gear in Canberra. Support will grow, its only a matter of time.

I'm a Canberran. Started supporting North when I was a kid and Jess Sinclair handed me a 'signed' (signatures were printed on) kangas ball at Woden Plaza. Went to a kids footy clinic at Manuka before a game, and then came the clincher, big Mick Martyn running around in the back line with his big bald head - I loved him. I was hooked and I've never looked back.

I'm telling you all this just to say that those things work, eventually.

I see kids everywhere running around in GWS gear in Canberra. Support will grow, its only a matter of time.
Very interesting. Do you think it's a generational thing that will take 10-15 years for the Giants to really catch on in Canberra?

Very interesting. Do you think it's a generational thing that will take 10-15 years for the Giants to really catch on in Canberra?

That's exactly what I think. Its hard to convert adults who already go for other clubs, even harder to convert fans of other codes, but kids are easy to convert its just a long time till you see the results.

Similar to Western Sydney. Many of the adult supporters are really Giants and an original team or were nominal Swans fans because the Swans were the only Sydney team. The kids is where the future is and that's why it's a long term investment.

I spent about 7 years in Canberra and I loved going to the occasional game at Manuka and seeing nearly every team guernsey at the ground, no matter who was playing.

Well duh? Why do you support the team you support? Most people follow the team of their fathers and grandfathers. Support is handed down and inherited. At a game you will see three and four generations enjoying the game.

My son is 7 so at the moment it is two generations of us going to the game. Give him 20 years and he might have a 7 year old of his own and then we'll be three generations going to the game/buying membership/etc.

Families grow over time and as they get bigger, the support for the club will also grow. Don't forget these kids are growing up knowing only an AFL with GWS in it. For them the bulls#it angst about our very existence isn't there. They have no concept of the 'good old days' of 12 Victorian teams, quagmired muddy fields and swinging arms with no retribution. They will grow up with GWS just being another one of the 18 teams - but more importantly for those kids in WS and Canberra, GWS will be the team that visits their school, that plays just down the road.

Of course it's a generational thing. Every club has been.

Don't forget these kids are growing up knowing only an AFL with GWS in it. For them the bulls#it angst about our very existence isn't there. They have no concept of the 'good old days' of 12 Victorian teams, quagmired muddy fields and swinging arms with no retribution. They will grow up with GWS just being another one of the 18 teams

Yes I understand this. I feel slightly strange towards Gold Coast and GWS (albeit increasingly less so) but I have no such feelings for Freo or Port because I've never known an AFL without them.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/afl...-at-gws-giants-preseason-20141107-11if7n.html

Jack Steele gets head start at GWS Giants pre-season.

Greater Western Sydney recruit Jack Steele sees his early start to pre-season as the perfect opportunity to put his best foot forward and put himself ahead of the Giants' other 2014 draftees

I was just catching up with yesterday's papers and noticed that article.

There's a photo of him doing a one-on-one with Buggy, and the thing which struck me was the differences in physique. Buggy would have lookes a lot like Steele 3 years ago, and the benefit of 3 pre-seasons cannot be understated.

Jack is hoping that a couple of his team mates get drafted by us as well, including his Belconnen team mate Logan Austin.

Having a few Canberra-made players in our squad can only help grow the support in Canberra (same goes for the Riverina).

I was just catching up with yesterday's papers and noticed that article.

There's a photo of him doing a one-on-one with Buggy, and the thing which struck me was the differences in physique. Buggy would have lookes a lot like Steele 3 years ago, and the benefit of 3 pre-seasons cannot be understated.

Jack is hoping that a couple of his team mates get drafted by us as well, including his Belconnen team mate Logan Austin.

Having a few Canberra-made players in our squad can only help grow the support in Canberra (same goes for the Riverina).

I look forward to the GWS academy producing a few WS boys in the near future, you can rest assured that ACT and/or Riverina boys will probably be drafted every year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back