Cancelled
10k Posts
Jul 20, 2013
Test Cricket
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
LIVERPOOL, Sydney FC, Nottm Forest
Gotta be Dyson. Seemed like the heir apparent the moment he arrived at the club, and I think now is a good time for him to take over.

Kakkle

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jun 2, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Los Angeles Dodgers
I'll say another thing. I hope the club is looking at a way of including Baguley in the leadership group from next year.

He plays like a leader- is as dependable as they come.

Plays like one, sure, but not a leader. One of the more quiet ones.

Marley10

Cancelled
Dec 30, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Doing my best to take my 'I hate Carlton' glasses off, but Murphy didn't look like a leader before he took the job, and still doesn't. Heppell on the other hand does.
I think it is very common for younger guys to drop off when taking on such a big responsibility. I thought he was a good option, but got it a bit early.

Cotchin is probably a better example.
Still, don't like rushing it, like the club seems to do more often than not

Side note I was really annoyed at BJ for that and I don't think I was the only one, Harvey looked like he could have killed him with the stare down he gave him. ITs why I don't think Goddard inspires people like a Jobe would and would never want him as a captain.
Will be interesting to hear what BJ says about that on 360 tonight. I'm sure it will be brought up.

Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Id like to vote for Hurley.

i think it would give him an ever bigger onfield boost. He definatley leads by example and says OK boys, im going this way and you can all come with me. He sees the game infront of him, dictates alot of plays from kick ins. Is talismanic, can take a hit and make a hit. Kicks bombs on either side for goal when we need them...

Heppell will also be a great leader but i dont quite see the talismanic ability, and i can slighty see him worn down by taggers - ive seen a slight dip in his play onfield while his leadership has risen. I hope its not a slight rob peter to pay paul scenario in building his leadership. We have such a great player id hate to burdon him with more, wheras i reckon hurley would relish it.

Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Id like to vote for Hurley.

i think it would give him an ever bigger onfield boost. He definatley leads by example and says OK boys, im going this way and you can all come with me. He sees the game infront of him, dictates alot of plays from kick ins. Is talismanic, can take a hit and make a hit. Kicks bombs on either side for goal when we need them...

Heppell will also be a great leader but i dont quite see the talismanic ability, and i can slighty see him worn down by taggers - ive seen a slight dip in his play onfield while his leadership has risen. I hope its not a slight rob peter to pay paul scenario in building his leadership. We have such a great player id hate to burdon him with more, wheras i reckon hurley would relish it.

And I think the Goddard jumper pull was contrived and fooled everyone.

Apr 6, 2008
coburg
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Australian cricket team
I think Jobe could do without it. Even without a title he'll still be the spiritual leader of the player group. While it'd be great to see Hurley or Hooker get a chance to lead Heppell is the long term choice. Ever since he took the 3/4 time address for Gippsland in the preliminary final that he got 40 possessions and a few goals to singlehandedly carry them into the grand final ... he's going to be a captain.

Those other guys will back him up and Jobe will be there for all of them. Get it done and make it seemless.

Anyone see 360? What was said about it?
Storm in a tea cup. BJ was having a crack at Paddy. Dyce interrupted him to make sure he acknowledged who he was meant to be on and grabbed his jumper to make sure he got that acknowledgement. Then after BJ's goal Dyce ran up to him and apologised for grabbing him. BJ grabbed his hair and said words to the effect of I don't care about that, I ******* love you, let's win this thing.

Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
On Hooksy and Hurley.... I reckon they are pretty hard on themselves, when they miss a mark or stuff up a moment they berate themselves for a while.

Could this imply too self involved for captaincy? Or just perfectionism

bombreys

Club Legend
May 8, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Heppell with Hurley for vice.

Hooker is obviously a gun, I just don't see him as a captain type. If he put his hand up for it, of course I wouldn't be displeased if he got it.

Probably a few years early, but Zach Merrett has made a real case to be put in the leadership group. He's our next captain (after Heppell) for mine.

Back