Strategy The case for a third tall forward

Remove this Banner Ad

Matt Taberner is probably the worst footballer in the AFL at the moment but gets gifted games week in, week out at the ladder leading Fremantle just in case he eventually becomes something half decent. Butcher and Harvey got drafted to the wrong club.

The league.

Even a few spuds managing consistent 3 goals a game. The league is poor for a KPF, bit we are playing right in to its hands.

Is it worth sacrificing AFL structures in the magpies to allow our forwards to get some scores in the SANFL? Definitely I say. Midfield and backs get to develop nicely, but forwards have their hands tied behind their backs.

All this talk about Harvey not being fit enough is not really the case IF he was to play as a full time forward, he is rooted because he spends so much time as an under sized ruck in the magpies!!!

I honestly reckon he would excel as a leading forward with quality AFL (uhum) delivery to him!!!

To me, I would play him as a stay at home leading full forward in the Tom Hawkins model which allows Schulz to continue to play the high lead up CHF role that he has been this year!

Even a few spuds managing consistent 3 goals a game. The league is poor for a KPF, bit we are playing right in to its hands.

Is it worth sacrificing AFL structures in the magpies to allow our forwards to get some scores in the SANFL? Definitely I say. Midfield and backs get to develop nicely, but forwards have their hands tied behind their backs.

List of players currently averaging 3 goals a game in the SANFL in 2015:

-

It's not about our structures. It's about the fact that the SANFL uses AFL style team defence to shut games down, but doesn't have the kicking skill across the board to overcome AFL style team defence. As a tall forward, you've got a forward 50 that's clogged to buggery and the guys trying to thread the needle to get the ball to you couldn't hit the back side of a barn.

And yet we'd get some of the geniuses on here demanding that a developing key forward have 3 or 4 games in a row of 10 marks and 4 goals before we even consider them. It's just not going to happen. The SANFL is a different league in a lot of ways, and simply picking on form will have us rotating Kane Mitchell and Sam Gray through the team every 2nd week.

And yet we'd get some of the geniuses on here demanding that a developing key forward have 3 or 4 games in a row of 10 marks and 4 goals before we even consider them. It's just not going to happen. The SANFL is a different league in a lot of ways, and simply picking on form will have us rotating Kane Mitchell and Sam Gray through the team every 2nd week.
If you are on the Butcher train again I think most would be happy if he just resembled a forward 3 or 4 weeks in a row.. it hasn't happened, has it ever happened?

I'm still the captain of the Butcher train. Butcher has had patches of footy as good as any SANFL level KPF over the past couple of seasons

I'm still the captain of the Butcher train. Butcher has had patches of footy as good as any SANFL level KPF over the past couple of seasons
I thought his last quarter at nord last week was good but he played down back again yesterday right?

I thought his last quarter at nord last week was good but he played down back again yesterday right?

Yep, did a few nice things, too. Also needed a lot of direction about where to run from the sidelines/runners but that's understandable I guess.

Yep, did a few nice things, too. Also needed a lot of direction about where to run from the sidelines/runners but that's understandable I guess.
Probably should of started him forward after his last quarter at the Parade I would of thought

The fact the peoples champion #playharvey scored as many donuts as the now derided Butcher should help everyone understand that kicking bags week in week out in reserves isn't possible.

To pick one on form above the other would be clutching at straws. We need a third tall and we can't wait for the stars to align to select one at AFL level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The fact the peoples champion #playharvey scored as many donuts as the now derided Butcher should help everyone understand that kicking bags week in week out in reserves isn't possible.

To pick one on form above the other would be clutching at straws. We need a third tall and we can't wait for the stars to align to select one at AFL level.

Do you believe Butcher has had the season Harvey has?

Matt Taberner is probably the worst footballer in the AFL at the moment but gets gifted games week in, week out at the ladder leading Fremantle just in case he eventually becomes something half decent. Butcher and Harvey got drafted to the wrong club.
Taberner owes us. We made him look a lot better than he will ever be. If Freo could find a decent forward who wouldn't knock back a 100,000 extra a year because they didn't like flying across from Perth every second week he wouldn't be on a list.

It's more the fact Harvey can kick

Do you believe Butcher has had the season Harvey has?

Hard to tell since the last month when the goal posts have shifted and one plays at the opposite end now.

Butcher has 1 decent AFL game and goal so far this year, plus a bag in the pre season vs Crows, and a couple vs West Coast, which Harvey also played.

All signs point toward Butcher being better prepared for AFL football CURRENTLY.

Do you believe Butcher's form didn't warrant selection last year?

Anyhow, this isn't the Butcher thread. It is the third tall on general thread, and Harvey not kicking more than 2 every week should prove to some people that when can't wait to select on form with KPF prospects. Gotta apply the same standards to everyone in that role.

#playharvey is suh last week.

#playdougal

How has this thread not got a bump since that déjàvoodoo finished?

Butcher. Harvey. Frampton. Anyone.

Please.
D. Howard in
101714_dwight.jpg

Nah real though can we please just plonk #backtothefuture in the side instead of Paul Stewart? You know, a real tall.

D. Howard in
101714_dwight.jpg

Nah real though can we please just plonk #backtothefuture in the side instead of Paul Stewart? You know, a real tall.

That's the thing.

As maligned as Butcher is at least he's an actual key forward. Playing a 28yo tweener in and around the role is freaking ludicrous.

That's the thing.

As maligned as Butcher is at least he's an actual key forward. Playing a 28yo tweener in and around the role is freaking ludicrous.
He could do the disappearing thing and be as anonymous as P Stew is at AFL level most of the time, but there's an actual chance he'll impact the game, which P Stew has only the slightest chance of doing. Plus structure and all. Oh and a chance to develop a player in the most important position on the ground where we are also sorely lacking.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back