Strategy The case for a third tall forward

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd like to see us give Hombsch a few games up forward when Carlile returns (or Jonas gets his mojo back).

Schulz, Lobbe/Ryder, Hombsch up forward with Westhoff mid/sweeper.

He looks very composed and has the marking ability.

I'd like to see us give Hombsch a few games up forward when Carlile returns (or Jonas gets his mojo back).

Schulz, Lobbe/Ryder, Hombsch up forward with Westhoff mid/sweeper.

He looks very composed and has the marking ability.
Hombsch is near AA form as a defender and you want to try him forward?

I Must've Missed those games Scarlett played as a forward

Did anyone notice that both Lobbe and Ryder spent a little less time looking at the opposing ruckman, before going up for the ball in the centre square today.
They were looking at the ball in the air a hell of a lot more.
Peering at the opposing ruckman usually leaves no time to formulate an intelligent tap.
I reckon they were both told to change that approach to centre square contests. Sensible.
Wrong. Lade used to look at the opposition ruckmen a lot of the time because he wanted to protect the leg he broke twice within 12 months in the same spot. It didnt affect his ability to make intelligent taps. I used to hate how dills in the media and some of the umpiring coaches would wank on about that you had to keep your eye soley on the ball. You are allowed to protect yourself. There is no rule against it.

Last edited:

Wrong. Lade used to look at the opposition ruckmen a lot of the time because he wanted to protect the leg he broke twice with 12 months in the same spot. It didnt affect his ability to make intelligent taps. I used to hate how dills in the media and some of the umpiring coaches would wank on about that you had to keep your eye soley on the ball. You are allowed to protect yourself. There is no rule against it.
I've always found it a bit stupid how you have to play without protecting yourself otherwise you are a "squib".

Running for a ball with no awareness is not going to work out unless you are a 195+ cm bohemoth. Watch guys like Wingard, Gray or Cam O'Shea who are just as brave as anyone but are aware of what is happening, as opposed to guys like Schulz or Tom Logan who injure themselves by blindly putting their body where the ball is.

What I saw less of in the ruck, especially from Lobbe, was dopey backward taps. Using backward tap every now and then as a surprise can be useful but Lobbe uses it too often and gets pick off as a result as the opposition is waiting for it.

I dont understand why some people want to try Hombsch as a forward. Has zero prospect of ever being a forward.
agreed

1) he is our best defender
2) worse shot for goal than Butch

How about we think outside the square and play someone we are developing as a KEY FOWARD to that role
Just think about how effective Jacko is as a key forward

agreed

1) he is our best defender
2) worse shot for goal than Butch

How about we think outside the square and play someone we are developing as a KEY FOWARD to that role
Just think about how effective Jacko is as a key forward

Jacko has good presence and positioning as a forward but seriously lacks mobility, he's awkward and moves like Schulz will in 2027, and you just know he'll never ever kick a bag.

I dont understand why some people want to try Hombsch as a forward. Has zero prospect of ever being a forward.
We could swing him up forward randomly to create a mismatch though. I'm happy to do that with just about any player.

Permanently? No chance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ditz said on Triple M this morning we were looking at getting Charlie Dixon, is this old news ? I havent read back

Ditz said on Triple M this morning we were looking at getting Charlie Dixon, is this old news ? I havent read back
It has been mentioned earlier, I think in this thread.

I read in The Australian, that Freo are poised to offer him a 5 year contract on good $'s

In today's Monopoly Times Justin Westhoff is quoted as saying we don't need to go after a proven forward and Dixon gets a mention. Justin thinks the young blokes at the Club are fine.

With due respect to Justin Westhoff many of us might disagree.

It was obviously one of those 'feel good' stories possibly floated by the Club to support the current list. I think both John Butcher and Mason Shaw will be under pressure to hold a spot this year and if Dixon is on the table we would be mad not to look.

Ditz aka Captain Obvious. I think every single bloody club in the AFL would be looking into Dixon. Don't get your hopes up a la last year's off-season with Jeremy Cameron.

It has been mentioned earlier, I think in this thread.

I read in The Australian, that Freo are poised to offer him a 5 year contract on good $'s

given we have Boak, Ebert, Ryder and Gray on top dollar with Wingard, Wines and Hombsch likely to receive big pay rises at next contract renewal, could we afford someone like Dixon? on the plus side, Freo pursuing Dixon throws them off Schulz.

Our young kpf are not going to make it. Shaw and Harvey won't cut it (not in the next two years anyway) - butcher is bust. We must find one from elsewhere.

that is the plain truth of it.. Shaw having injuries this year and not progressing would be a huge issue for Ken and Co - I suspect they will look to package a player like O'Shea with a first/second round pick to get a tall that can play in 2016. Schulz probably has 3 years max left.

I disagree your post on Butcher and think that our tall predicament works in to his favor and can see him being given a 1 year contract a la Ah Chee.

Though, from memory, The Grew was a pretty good kick for goal.

He was a real dead eye dick, the likes of which we haven't seen since early Westhoff (hasn't been the same since the 2011 Gold Coast after-the-siren shot, has he?) and Lobbe, albeit once in a blue moon. Oh, and Shools. Obvs.

He was a real dead eye dick, the likes of which we haven't seen since early Westhoff (hasn't been the same since the 2011 Gold Coast after-the-siren shot, has he?) and Lobbe, albeit once in a blue moon. Oh, and Shools. Obvs.
Does wingas count or is it just assumed that hes a master of everything or are we talking talls

So what should we be expecting or wanting to see from our KPFs at SANFL level? Goals? Marks? Touches? Vibe? Or is it totally irrelevant and should they just be given an AFL crack regardless?

Just on Harvey, who looks like playing that traditional stay at home, bulky, one on one forward - is he athletic enough to do it at AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back