2nds The Casey Thread - End of a terrible season

Remove this Banner Ad

This is the issue isn't it, Strauss is meant to be a good kick, heck even if he is merely a decent kick he will still be better than everyone else in our defence, but he hasn't got a game all year... Roosy obviously does not rate his defence to this point, but I'd say he is worth checking out for 3-4 weeks before putting the line through his name

Problem is, we will probably make a few changes this year, so Strauss isnt the only one we want to get a look at.

If he cant do it at Casey, then I dont see the need to get another look at him myself. He would have to absolutely dominate the remaining rounds for him to not be delisted - and I think we all know thats not going to happen.

Yep, I like the look of him - really solid skills and competes hard, strong kid as well.

I'd think we would keep him.

Its his improvement that has been the best thing about him I think. Started fairly slowly, but has got his possession rate back up - whilst improving his defensive game.

Couldnt see him being elevated yet, but if he improves at the same rate next year, then he would be a good chance.

Problem is, we will probably make a few changes this year, so Strauss isnt the only one we want to get a look at.

If he cant do it at Casey, then I dont see the need to get another look at him myself. He would have to absolutely dominate the remaining rounds for him to not be delisted - and I think we all know thats not going to happen.

Apparently Strauss has been solid at Casey for the past 3 or so weeks, so perhaps deserves one final chance to show his wares. I actually don't really care either way, but if I was Roos I'd want to see him in action before sending him to walk the plank.

Apparently Strauss has been solid at Casey for the past 3 or so weeks, so perhaps deserves one final chance to show his wares. I actually don't really care either way, but if I was Roos I'd want to see him in action before sending him to walk the plank.

I wonder if Tapscott and/or Blease has done enough to save their bacon?

Probably not yet, but a couple more decent games might just work for Blease.

It actually wouldn't surprise me if we traded either of those guys for 4th round type picks - or other fringe players that Roos sees potential in.

It actually wouldn't surprise me if we traded either of those guys for 4th round type picks - or other fringe players that Roos sees potential in.

If you think about who we could potentially replace those two with, then they might be safe. I'm expecting a fair old clear out from Roos though, so unless a bloke who's contract is expiring has nailed down a starting spot, I'm kind of expecting the baby and the bathwater to go in favour of trades and draftees.

I like tappy but I reckon both he and Blease are gone
Roos will back himself to find some Michies and the like on other lists who have a clean mental slate to work with

I agree, and it's a shame - both of those players have/had it in them to be decent AFL footballers.

If both of them had been given a specific role to work on 3 years ago there is no doubt they would be atleast solid players by now
You cant throw guys around with 30 games experience in 5 different positions in a game and then wonder why they havent developed

If both of them had been given a specific role to work on 3 years ago there is no doubt they would be atleast solid players by now
You cant throw guys around with 30 games experience in 5 different positions in a game and then wonder why they havent developed

Agree again. We just didn't develop them properly, simple as that.

Glaringly obvious that Blease needed to work on his defensive running, and disposal decision making - and Tappy needed to change his body shape, develop some run, and stop going to ground all the time.

If we gave hem these things to work on from the start - and let them play specific roles, things may have turned out quite differently.

Agree again. We just didn't develop them properly, simple as that.

Glaringly obvious that Blease needed to work on his defensive running, and disposal decision making - and Tappy needed to change his body shape, develop some run, and stop going to ground all the time.

If we gave hem these things to work on from the start - and let them play specific roles, things may have turned out quite differently.

Tappy was strong and has a booming kick
Half back flank or half forward flank until he developed an engine and let him settle into that role

Sam Blease is quick, Needed to work on his defensive game but he should have been left in the forward line and told to get around the feet of the forwards or start on the flank and run towards goal

Tappy was obvious. His highlights at U18 level screamed Paul Chapman - play him on that half-forward flank and then rotate him through the middle every so often and let him use his power in the contest. We ****ed that up badly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tappy was obvious. His highlights at U18 level screamed Paul Chapman - play him on that half-forward flank and then rotate him through the middle every so often and let him use his power in the contest. We ****** that up badly.

We have ruined a lot of talented kids, no doubt about it.

clean mental slate to work with
This is the crucial bit, for mine. Even if they're not as talented as Blease, Tapscott, etc, Roos can start afresh with them and teach them the things that our guys are beyond learning that will make them good footballers.

And Cale Morton.
HOW DARE YOU SPEAK HIS NAME?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back