Roast The Channel 7 Commentators

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 9, 2006
Level 2 Bar, Coventry End
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Packers, Detroit Tigers
So, I watched the game on Saturday night with a group of peeps and couldn't hear most of the commentary. I'm now watching the replay and it is so atrocious that I think it deserves a little roast on here. The amount of time they spent talking over the play was worse than the average ABC VFL broadcast. I always thought the point was to commentate, then you can analyse during breaks in play (and by analyse, I mean talk about Josh Bruce's hairdo).

And then there was that "Leigh Fisher's given away a 35 metre penalty stuff, which ignored two points. First, it was a comfortable 50 metres (it happened on the boundary at centre wing and the mark was then set inside F50), and second it shouldn't have been paid in the first place. Soft as butter.

And that's but one example of how ordinary the "experts" were on Saturday night.

How about the non-stop bullshit for 10 minutes about Leigh Fisher's mexican themed birthday party....?!

My wife was like "WTF are they even talking about? They aren't even talking about a player, he's just the umpire!"

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hahaha great thread!!
Luke Darcy......I really don't know what he adds at all?? Talks about his favourite players and that's about it!
BT is probably the worst commentator going round, gets worse when you realise channel 7 let Sandy Roberts leave to go to Fox Footy! And 7 have him. Sandy Roberts is what you call a commentator!!

Hahaha great thread!!
Luke Darcy......I really don't know what he adds at all?? Talks about his favourite players and that's about it!
BT is probably the worst commentator going round, gets worse when you realise channel 7 let Sandy Roberts leave to go to Fox Footy! And 7 have him. Sandy Roberts is what you call a commentator!!
This ^^^^^^ :thumbsu:

So true.... And then combine his 'favourites' commentary with BT is just..... yuck! What are channel 7 thinking? I actually dont know anyone that follows AFL footy (& thats a lot of bloody people) that like BT & Darcy calling games

So i ask, who are these people that do like them? Surely they must exist because BT & Darcy still have a job! IMO these ppl need to be slapped up slide of the head with a tuna fish

Meanwhile Peter Donaghan just does his thing for VFL...
Its part of TV folklore than when Skase took over Ch 7 his ditzy wife Pixie said "Get rid off him cos he's too ugly".
Pete of course went on to have a much respected career in racing & VFL commentary . While the Skase's fled the country with their tails between their legs and other peoples money in their pockets.
Think Peter had the last laugh.

Luke Darcy is obviously interested in Scotch College Alumni now that his own son goes there. I think I have heard him mention that Jack Billings went to Scotch 6 times over the course of Jack's 1.25 matches. But yeah, that is no patch on BT and his continual references to the boy from Lorne and Bruce's hairdo. My god how boring he is. Really the only thing I have to be thankful for is that we don't get Dermie on Channel 7.

All of this is spot on, but my greatest gripe is that they talk over the top of the game continually. It's shameful.

Richo sometimes has some things to say (like when he pointed out that Clint Jones drew Fletcher away from a marking contest with Roo so that he couldn't be third man up) but he generally takes 30 words to say what could be said in five, by which time the ball is at the other end of the ground.

How about the non-stop bullshit for 10 minutes about Seb Ross' mexican themed birthday party....?!

My wife was like "WTF are they even talking about?"

Wasnt Seb Ross's birthday. They were talking about Leigh Fisher's. Yes, the umpire's birthday party was more important then the game.

I seriously tune out. I don't even listen to them.
Sometimes the other half will say "did you hear that!?".... NOPE. They're all idiots.

What was really shameful was Sam Lane's constant questioning over how Essendon must have been fatigued beyond anything else because what other reason could there be that there was an upset... oh, and channel 7 only showing the losing side's press conference. :thumbsdown:

Would take James Brayshaw over any of the Ch7 d - heads any day of the week.

Ch9 had assembled a decent footy coverage team until they lost the rights.

Any takers for the Fox Footy team ?
Enjoy everyone on Fox Footy except Dwayne "I hate StKilda & will lay the boots in every chance i get" Russell

Remove this Banner Ad

Back