The chicken little 'season is over' thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I have to disagree, and quite strongly. For those who know how Mick coaches it' evident why we are in this mind set. He is not a leader. He has a laissez faire style of coaching which is mostly hands off. In this day and age we have to accept that AFL players are babies with no life skills what so ever and need to be told what to do... I agree with some points murphy is a horrible leader never seen anyone with less skills in that department ever... however. Mick has to go, WE need a tough prick

Surprised, thought that the opposite was the case. If so, yeah, I'd be inclined to be worried about that approach.

Surprised, thought that the opposite was the case. If so, yeah, I'd be inclined to be worried about that approach.

It is.

Laissez faire was Brett Ratten. Sat in the box like a stunned mullet, never reacting to anything until it was far too late.

Mick is very aggressive, but in the way that an older man has learnt to be aggressive. You won't get positive feedback from Mick following a costly error, you'll get a headshake and a look that contributes to global warming.

If anything, he assumes that players are man enough to get out there and want to redeem themselves after their mistakes. Unfortunately he has probably never dealt with as many mice in the same football side before, and I daresay most coaches would be the same. It is very unusual. One, two or maybe three really quiet guys per squad yes.. but 15-18 of them is highly unusual if you've ever been around a professional sporting club.

Well, I promised to visit this thread if we lost to Melbourne and here I am.

I hope the club sits the players down and lets them know the impact they have on supporters with performances like they are displaying this year. We as supporters are the reason the players get to have this job with its associated benefits.

Most supporters are envious of anyone who gets to put on the Navy Blue jumper and represent our club at the highest level. That is why we are so passionate about the (perceived) level of effort the players are putting into each and every contest of each and every game.

We live and die by the results of the team and the banter with other supporters during the season is painful when we have so little with which to defend ourselves.

I can live with defeat (even though it hurts), I cannot live with a team playing as individuals. I want to see some fight when things get tough, I want to see effort even if the cause seems lost, I do not want us to meekly roll over and accept less than what we are capable of.

Two incidents stand out from the last couple of weeks. The first one was our captain being stood up to by a first game player from EssADA* who thought he had the right to run up to Murphy and hit him (and probably sledge) after play had been called dead. Not one Carlton player, including Murphy, remonstrated with him or showed him that this was unacceptable behaviour. Last night I witnessed a GWS player get flattened with a coathanger "tackle" and it seemed every team mate in the forward half ran in to stand up for the guy who had been taken out. Admittedly the level of incident was different, it is the mindset of a bunch of kids that want to stand up for each other that seems in stark contrast to what I am currently witnessing from the Blues.

I am not on Twitter, instagram or any other social media so my entire exposure to the players is through their on field performance and that is what I judge them by. All the peripheral crap is just that, I don't care about your haircuts or where you eat lunch or any other vaccuous rubbish, happy for you to engage with others that are interested in this individual stuff. I can't argue with my mates based on your menu or fashion choices, only by your efforts during a game as a team.

The season is not over, our chances of playing off for a premiership this season most likely are. As a supporter, I want to see players stand up as a group when the going gets tough, and represent the jumper with efforts that reflect the 150 years of tradition we are celebrating this year.

I am proud to be a Carlton supporter. Please give me a reason to shout it from the rooftops once again.

Btw. I've played against a female in AFL a few times and although no one wanted to tackle her.. lol.. she was still alot tougher than a majority of males on the park. So enough of that.
Completely missing the point.

It's pretty simple guys - use adjectives instead of similes or metaphors. For more depth, give an explanation for your use of said adjective. Be clear and concise in your explanation. Say what you mean, and mean what you say.

For example:

Carlton is a bad football team. They are bad because they lost to a football team that had not won since June last year. They showed no semblance of teamwork, nor desire.

Three players had a dip yesterday…Simpson, Yaz and Curnow.

I have been to the last three games (with my daughters) and the two things that stand out are Lack of leadership and being out worked by the opposition.

On the first point - how do we improve our leadership. Our captain is not naturally aggressive and when he is targeted by the opposition he just cops it. Simpson gives his all each week, Carrazzo is a step behind with his limited preparation, Mclean & Waite dropped, Juddy injured, Jamo injured and introverted, Daisy short of full fitness and now injured, Gibbs plays for himself. Lets hope and pray Murph grows in to the role.

Second point - Work fu*king harder!!!!!!! Run harder. Tackle harder. Do the 1 percenters…these are things we can control FFS.

FINALLY - IT WAS GREAT TO SEE ANOTHER YOUNG FELLA BLOODED YESTERDAY….AND DIDN'T HE LOOK GOOD. Once Cripps builds a tank he will be a very very good player for the CFC. Graham needs an extended run to see how good he can be. Buckley will keep improving. Menzel could be anything. There are four youngsters who could go on and play many games for Carlton - bring in another four next year and we are on the right track!

October 2012

Carlton's list is fine: Malthouse

"I'm quite happy with the list, so we'll be making minimal changes. And, no, we're not chasing everybody as much as a lot of others would like to believe we are," Malthouse said on the club website.

"I think you've got to be very, very selective. The other thing, too, is what does it cost you? We know that no player comes for nothing . . . you've got to link yourself to the type of structure that you want.

"I look at the list and I see some very, very exciting young players.

"I see some senior players who are going to help those young players so we will not be as active as the media are suggesting."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's not what he said behind closed doors, as we all know.

We had to build members and send out nice messages. You'd have to say, that moment is now over.

His actions have certainly been strange then - eg the Thomas recruitment

If the list is in such a dire state why would you recruit Thomas - the bigger issue being the terms of his contract. Another list clogger in Everitt too.

It restricts your ability to (maybe) offer a decent deal to an out of contract GC/GWS forward - someone who is worth the money.

If the list is in such a dire state why would you recruit Thomas - the bigger issue being the terms of his contract. Another list clogger in Everitt too.
It restricts your ability to (maybe) offer a decent deal to an out of contract GC/GWS forward - someone who is worth the money.

Judd won't play on next year.
Scotland won't play on next year.
Waite may go on but obviously on reduced money.

We recruited a 25 and 26 year old and in the case of Thomas needed the "type" by way of player and character.

It's been a terrible start to the year and I bet on these things:

1. We won't be going back to the snow to train at years end.
2. We'll hopefully not have 19 players having operations in the off-season.
3. We'll have a similar type cull at years end and that has nothing to do with our current standing.

We will have turned over 50% of the list in 2 years. Not sure what the record is but it would have to be close.

This is not a show of someone that's happy with his list. Is it?

Have to agree. You don't recruit Thomas if you are expecting to rebuild, unless you are doing a Pagan/Martyn at the expense of the club.

Judd won't play on next year.
Scotland won't play on next year.
Waite may go on but obviously on reduced money.

We recruited a 25 and 26 year old and in the case of Thomas needed the "type" by way of player and character.

Not disputing we lack 25-26 yo but a 4 year deal?

More Docherty deals, less Everitt/Thomas deals.

It's the cost though Harks. If you need a rebuild, need quality talls because you don't have them, I'm not sure you spend 700k on an x factor wing/flanker. I think Mick was hedging his bets like all of us. We just didn't know what Carlton team would show up. Play above ourselves and really push the leaders or play below ourselves and completely embarrass ourselves.

It's the cost though Harks. If you need a rebuild, need quality talls because you don't have them, I'm not sure you spend 700k on an x factor wing/flanker. I think Mick was hedging his bets like all of us. We just didn't know what Carlton team would show up. Play above ourselves and really push the leaders or play below ourselves and completely embarrass ourselves.

Malthouse wants voice, leadership and character and in case we've forgotten Thomas is a pretty good player also.

If we were to rebuild, Thomas's money will be the least of our issues. Kids are cheap.

It's the cost though Harks. If you need a rebuild, need quality talls because you don't have them, I'm not sure you spend 700k on an x factor wing/flanker.
Thomas was a free kick after Betts left. Also a Simpson type who runs hard both ways. You can't have too many of these players who aren't flakes and bad decision makers. We don't want to field a team of pups like Melbourne did under Bailey and Neeld.

If you want to adopt the go young strategy, then we might as well let Murphy go. The same age as Thomas. Everitt is an upgrade on players like Collins, Davies and others who went off the list.

Swann said we had space to recruit two players on good money. Money didn't get Cloke interested. With Judd, Scotland, Waite and other veterans likely to go shortly, the club will have cap space to move.

If Gibbs goes, then you can't say that money is an issue.

Malthouse wants voice, leadership and character and in case we've forgotten Thomas is a pretty good player also.

If we were to rebuild, Thomas's money will be the least of our issues. Kids are cheap.

I'm talking about the possibility of being superfluous to our needs. He has started slowly, and hasn't had a lot of presence on the field leadership wise as yet. Perhaps he feels it isn't his place.

A rebuild may not mean 18 year old draftees. It may mean an early 20s key forward or defender that has to be shaken loose. Thomas was always going to be 27 in the middle of his first season with us, and he was coming off a serious injury and always going to take time to get going. He was never intended to be the bricks and mortar of a stripping down and rebuilding of the list IMO. He was always some added cream that wasn't going to cost us a draft pick. We still have other players demanding decent dollars, we're not looking for ways to reach the minimum cap amount.

I'm not sure why it isn't feasible that Mick misread this list and has greater expectations of them than we are now seeing. He's not infallible. Plenty of coaches misread a list going in and make decisions accordingly. What's important is that he has the nous to fix it long term, but he can still be queried over perceived short sightedness. Not bagging Thomas, he has a couple of chapters left to write.

Personally I don't think we need a full rebuild. We just need to identify those draining the unity and workrate down and get rid of them, no matter who they are.

Thomas was a free kick after Betts left. Also a Simpson type who runs hard both ways. You can't have too many of these players who aren't flakes and bad decision makers. We don't want to field a team of pups like Melbourne did under Bailey and Neeld.

If you want to adopt the go young strategy, then we might as well let Murphy go. The same age as Thomas. Everitt is an upgrade on players like Collins, Davies and others who went off the list.

Swann said we had space to recruit two players on good money. Money didn't get Cloke interested. With Judd, Scotland, Waite and other veterans likely to go shortly, the club will have cap space to move.

If Gibbs goes, then you can't say that money is an issue.

You've missed the point entirely. It is being claimed that Mick privately knew the list was no good and needed a rebuild, despite what he said publicly. Some of us think that getting Thomas was pointless if he thought that we were shot beforehand. I simply think Mick misread the capacity of our list to collectively go missing. He's not the first coach to make that mistake.

Poster on another forum noted the interview McKay did about 20 minutes ago on MMM

McKay on Triple M.

Garlett, Waite dropped because of defensive work.

We are a finalist 4 out of last 5 years so we are a finals side.

List capable of finals footy.

MM said no meeting of leaders over game plan, McKay said they did.

Young Leadership group that is developing. Carrazzo & Simpson vocal.

Judd probably back this week.

Thomas okay, stinger in shoulder.

Jamison scans on neck and calf.

Menzel quad injury. No other comment?

Didn't have issue with Gibbs goal shot in last quarter.

Generally happy with list. Capable of carrying out game plan and finals.

We need to fight hard.

Not panic stations and not in doldrums.

Sadly you'd be in the middle of the Atlantic. At least the umbrella would come in handy :)

I don't think so. Bugs Bunny always takes a wrong turn at Albuquerque and still ends up somewhere interesting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back