The chicken little 'season is over' thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I know they've not played a game, does not mean you cannot state a thought based on what you think of those selections.

I am sure that there are plenty of AFL clubs sitting back and shaking their head at our selections.

I stated last year I was not happy with Cripps, so NOTHING to do with him breaking his leg.

Don't get me wrong, I hope the recruiters are correct with their calls, on my limited knowledge I think they're off the mark this year again.

Feel free to bookmark my posts and show me how wrong I am, there would be nothing better than finding out we actually secured guns instead of my initial thoughts.
I get your point, I guess it comes down to having faith and trust in Rogers n Co, who I might add have got it pretty spot on since Rogers has been in charge IMHO.

I am sure that there are plenty of AFL clubs sitting back and shaking their head at our selections.
There are probably plenty of AFL clubs wondering why fremantle went for midfielders and not a couple of big guys with Pav, Sandi, Mcpharlin and Johnson on their last legs.

Why the dogs went for 3 small forwards.

Remember if you look at it for pick 7 we got a key position player, a tough inside mid and a quick outside mid. That's good business in my book.

I am sure all clubs will be questioned but unless you are inside the tent and you know the reasons why then I think the only thing you can do is wait and see.

There are probably plenty of AFL clubs wondering why fremantle went for midfielders and not a couple of big guys with Pav, Sandi, Mcpharlin and Johnson on their last legs.

Why the dogs went for 3 small forwards.

Remember if you look at it for pick 7 we got a key position player, a tough inside mid and a quick outside mid. That's good business in my book.

I am sure all clubs will be questioned but unless you are inside the tent and you know the reasons why then I think the only thing you can do is wait and see.

The Dockers selected talls in last seasons draft and they addressed their needs for midfielders in this draft as well. I see no issue with their recruiting this season, I really liked their first three selections.

Doggies picked three players with amazing skill sets and once again, I liked their picks. They added Boyd in the trading period so it made sense to add those players.
McLean will certainly play midfield in my eyes going forward.

It is also important to remember this is a CHICKEN LITTLE THREAD, one hopes this is the one place where you can actually say your negative thoughts on the actions of your club.

You can state all your positive vibes in the... Welcome to Carlton Joe Bloggs threads. :)

He broke his leg a year or two before the draft as well.
I was not a fan before the draft, you can even check my posting history.

It's a shame you're in Perth and don't get to see him at VFL level.
Just too good for that level already - expect him to play more senior footy in 2015.

It's a shame you're in Perth and don't get to see him at VFL level.
Just too good for that level already - expect him to play more senior footy in 2015.

I'm just having my chicken little moment.

I was almost jumping out of my seat when Leverde drifted to our pick, ready to fist pump when Carlton called out his name... WRONG.

Then I was getting excited to hear Lamb or Blakely's name called out... WRONG....

At least we got Clem, I did request we select him to one of our Carlton recruiters last year.... (Even if at the time I thought he was going to be a first round pick: WRONG) :)

I still remember many years ago getting ready to fist pump the air when Murdoch was going to get called out for Carlton and we selected Rowe.... That is seeming to turn out okay at the moment, so hopefully I am wrong again. :)

They're not shaking their heads. Over at Essendon they're clinking champagne glasses and rolling around laughing.
You honestly think that... really. I bet that Dodo is getting his arse handed to him for ******* around with Langford and Leverde and missing out on Boekhorst. Because thats what their draft juggling suggests. They wanted Boekhorst and rated him higher than Leverde so they reached with Langford and left Leverde hanging out there in the hope that we would take him after all the rumours that we were seriously interested in Boekie.

I'm actually a chicken little in this case.

I personally think we screwed up this draft once again.

Last year I was less than impressed by the selection of Cripps with our first pick.

Accepting you were not impressed by the selection of Cripps last year, we have now had a chance to see him perform over the last 12 months. IMO he has shown he is well above VFL quality, both as a midfielder and as a marking forward. Have to say I am very happy to have him.

This year I'm even less impressed by all our picks other than where we managed to grab Clem.

I agree. We gave up pick 7 for Jaksch and Whiley. I like Whiley but it does seem to me that for a 196 cm tall Jaksch plays like he is about 188 cm. I hope I am wrong. Combine him with Everitt and Jones and we have 3 seriously tall players who play much smaller than they are. As it happens, with pick 7 we could have had Wright.

I also agree* that Laverde, Lamb, Clem and McKenzie looks like a much stronger team selection.

* Until MM is gone it doesn't really matter who we recruit.

I was almost jumping out of my seat when Leverde drifted to our pick, ready to fist pump when Carlton called out his name... WRONG.

Then I was getting excited to hear Lamb or Blakely's name called out... WRONG....

At least we got Clem, I did request we select him to one of our Carlton recruiters last year.... (Even if at the time I thought he was going to be a first round pick: WRONG) :)

I still remember many years ago getting ready to fist pump the air when Murdoch was going to get called out for Carlton and we selected Rowe.... That is seeming to turn out okay at the moment, so hopefully I am wrong again. :)

It may be a chicken little moment LemmingMaster but it's backed up with some meat..............Huuuuuuuuuuuge difference.
When I heard Boekhurst name's read out at 19, my stomach churned............I didn't ask for it to happen......it just did :)

I thought we had Laverde & DVR sewn up...........mission accomplished.
Maybe we're all just a little edgy with names that pop up late in the piece and maybe Bootsma gave us a reason to feel that way.

If Boekhorst starts snap-chatting though........................:mad:...........:)

It may be a chicken little moment LemmingMaster but it's backed up with some meat..............Huuuuuuuuuuuge difference.
When I heard Boekhurst name's read out at 19, my stomach churned............I didn't ask for it to happen......it just did :)

I thought we had Laverde & DVR sewn up...........mission accomplished.
Maybe we're all just a little edgy with names that pop up late in the piece and maybe Bootsma gave us a reason to feel that way.

If Boekhorst starts snap-chatting though........................:mad:...........:)

I was chatting to Quigley during our draft and my god you should have heard my reaction when we skipped over Laverde.

Just a whole bunch of questions like
Boekhurst, would he still be there with pick 28?

Will the sky fall?

How many beers should I drink tonight?

So many bloody questions, so little answers!!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We gave up pick 7 for Jaksch and Whiley.
Borderline pedantic, but we also got Boekhorst for pick 7 too.

All players that fill a position we need, all young with plenty of football ahead of them and considering we needed to fill positions on the list with the large turnover, a 3-for-1 deal like that makes perfect sense.

We'll only know if those three particular players were the right ones to get/choose in a few years time.

Lots of lamenting on us not getting Laverde like he's a guaranteed gun. How come he's slid from 5-10 range all the way out to pick 20?
I've asked in another thread for those posters lamenting our selection of Boekhorst over Laverde to explain why, in their eyes, Laverde would have been a better choice & in doing so, explaining on what basis they make this assessment. So far it's been nothing but crickets.

Last slider we picked didn't work out so well for us. Lucas was supposedly a top 10 pick that was too good to pass up.

Kavanagh was a slider EFC were slapping themselves on the back 2 years ago. Hasn't worked out so good so far. Not every slider is Jack Darling.

They're not shaking their heads. Over at Essendon they're clinking champagne glasses and rolling around laughing.
Is that because once they selected him they could then fill all 22 places on the field even when the 34 INs become bans?

Yeah, they can really stick it to the AFL and ASADA now. Barrel of laughs in La La land.

Last slider we picked didn't work out so well for us. Lucas was supposedly a top 10 pick that was too good to pass up.

Kavanagh was a slider EFC were slapping themselves on the back 2 years ago. Hasn't worked out so good so far. Not every slider is Jack Darling.

Menz as a slider goes alright ;)

I've asked in another thread for those posters lamenting our selection of Boekhorst over Laverde to explain why, in their eyes, Laverde would have been a better choice & in doing so, explaining on what basis they make this assessment. So far it's been nothing but crickets.
Too many people come crawling out of the woodwork with degrees in human relations and recruitment. They think that they, a bunch of fools sitting on a forum, know more about recruiting than someone who does it for a living. You are always going to hear crickets when you call them on their reasoning and their assessment of why player X should have been passed over in favour of player Y.

Rowe looked like he was going to be a complete bust and Murdoch looked really promising early days.

2 Years later and Murdoch just looks soft while Rowe is more then holding his own down back.

There is three years development difference between the two players.

Laverde has the speed, x factor and outside speed that we needed.
Give him another three years and I would shocked if he was not performing at a higher level than Boekhorst.

Laverde in my eyes was in the top 10 players in the draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back