The chicken little 'season is over' thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Boekhorst/DVR or DVR/Boekhorst...............I doesn't really matter as we got both the guys we wanted............and then a third with Smith.

Yep, we got who we got. No point frothing about it. The order we took them in is irrelevant in the final analysis.
It's been said all along what an even draft it was, so it was therefore bound to be controversial, since everyone had differing opinions on who we should take.
Let's just support the guys we got.
Blaine to slot straight into senior calculations next season and make an immediate impact!

Spoke recently with someone who was at the draft. The room fell apart when we took Boekhurst. He was on other teams radars - as a potential rookie pick. Most thought he wouldn't get drafted because he had been seen and passed over already, attitude, the fact he was dropped to the Wafl seconds in round 20 this year, and importantly, he has just never shown very much. The general consensus was that it was a massive, unnecessary reach, when there were still several tier 2 talents available. SOS apparently was fuming.

Once the draft is over, of course, where someone was drafted doesn't matter. But our drafting has become a bit of a joke in AFL circles in recent years (Bootsma pick etc) - it is a widely held view that we just don't understand how the whole shebang works

The same SOS who takes a player as a #2 and gives him away @ #18?
The same SOS who had five chances at Wingard but overlooked him?
The same SOS who took Plowman ahead of Wines, Macrae, Menzel etc.

He may well be coming to us but SOS shouldn't be pumping his chest out too hard if and that's a big if, you're right.
He's not white-anting already is he?

Rogers sold his strategy to everyone that mattered and it was ticked off on.

SOS was probably fuming because he wanted Boekhorst at their next live pick but instead was forced to pick up a cricket player who hadn't played footy in a few years at pick 22. Go figure.

Don't you love how some people know exactly what other clubs were thinking at the draft? Our recruiters get criticised for letting information out about potential draftees, yet apparently it's ok for other club's recruiters to let their thoughts be known.

Ultimately what we are witnessing here is dummy spitting because the favorites of some supporters weren't chosen by our club. It makes the selection of Boekhorst even sweeter.

Don't you love how some people know exactly what other clubs were thinking at the draft? Our recruiters get criticised for letting information out about potential draftees, yet apparently it's ok for other club's recruiters to let their thoughts be known.

Ultimately what we are witnessing here is dummy spitting because the favorites of some supporters weren't chosen by our club. It makes the selection of Boekhorst even sweeter.
I said this and got shouted down... by the people whose favourites weren't picked by the club.

Guess you can keep a really close eye on Tom Lamb now...... :)

Mate, I was not a huge fan of his for a while, you convinced me to change my views...

Maybe Darling will take Lamb under his wing and show him the path to being a good boy now. :)

There were two players that I hoped Carlton would select in Lamb and Blakely, they're both in WA so I will get to watch their progress.

I really hope Rainbow can rotate into the midfield and use his great kicking skills.

Now if Clem builds a tank he can take over from Robbo in the crash and bash stakes.

I know exactly what to expect in this thread & again some of the responses do make the drafting of 'tweeter' all the sweeter.

The only thing that will make is sweet is if he plays good football. That is what it all comes down to in the end.
(I think in many people's eyes it will come down to who plays better Laverde or Twitter)

No doubt I will be one of those people...

2014's Talia v Lucas styled coversations. :)

Borderline pedantic, but we also got Boekhorst for pick 7 too.

All players that fill a position we need, all young with plenty of football ahead of them and considering we needed to fill positions on the list with the large turnover, a 3-for-1 deal like that makes perfect sense.

We'll only know if those three particular players were the right ones to get/choose in a few years time.
Not pedantic at all seeing as the trade included pick 19! Anyone who omits BB from this equation is being sneaky...

The only thing that will make is sweet is if he plays good football. That is what it all comes down to in the end.
(I think in many people's eyes it will come down to who plays better Laverde or Twitter)

And looking at 2009 in hindsight, it would seem that it wasn't only Hughes who got it wrong. Arguably Talia is a better player than all those chosen before him in that draft & Fyfe is the best of the whole draft (even the 'great' Stephen Wells overlooked Fyfe).

I have to agree with LemmingMaster, this thread is for the nay sayers.
In saying that, any poster who comes in an claims that such an such is an idiot or whatever, just because they did not do what that poster wanted, then that poster should expect the cavalry to come charging over the hill.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm surprised you don't see a sum of the parts scenario. As a matter of fact, I'm surprised many don't.

We all look for the one hero player that will give us the Golden Chalice but it's a lot more involved than that.
So our fortunes rest on a Boekhorst vs Laverde contest now? I don't think so.

Recruitment, Man-Management, Development all combine to make a whole.
A team will win a premiership every year. There's no getting away from that, but the process of connecting all the dots will become a lot more involved every year from now until......................forever. We just have to be the best at it.

I'm surprised you don't see a sum of the parts scenario. As a matter of fact, I'm surprised many don't.

We all look for the one hero player that will give us the Golden Chalice but it's a lot more involved than that.
So our fortunes rest on a Boekhorst vs Laverde contest now? I don't think so.

Recruitment, Man-Management, Development all combine to make a whole.
A team will win a premiership every year. There's no getting away from that, but the process of connecting all the dots will become a lot more involved every year from now until......................forever. We just have to be the best at it.
I just prefer different parts to what the blues selected. It is that simple.

According to what I've read in the NAB gameday thread:

All of our youngsters suck
We look as interested as a nun in a brothel
Hairstyles more important to most of our players than getting the ball
Bell isn't a tagged (sic)
Lack of beards

What have I missed?

According to what I've read in the NAB gameday thread:

All of our youngsters suck
We look as interested as a nun in a brothel
Hairstyles more important to most of our players than getting the ball
Bell isn't a tagged (sic)