The Chosen Few - AFL Coaches Doco (9.30pm Ch 7Vic/SA/Perth, 10.30pm 7Mate NSW/Qld)

Remove this Banner Ad

Loved this.

Thought Lyon, Leppa, Buckley and Sando in particular were good.

Also liked the table with all the greats discussing what it takes. Would like to see more of this.

Great stuff. Really revealing by the coaches. Good on them.

My thoughts on personalities
- John Kennedy, what a boss
- Oh Sando :(
- Bluey, I feel for you're time is running out
- Bucks, talks a lot about the future and what he's trying to build, the future is now! The future was 2010, why is there so much to build?
- Leppa! He's even got himself a Tami Roos sidekick
- Ross the freaking Boss. His sister dies and he just plows on. But he's also got a great sense of humour at other times
- Love Mick Malthouse when he laughs at the coding idea. The guy knows football. He doesn't need to over complicate it. I still can't believe he produce Neeld as a protege when he clearly basis so much of his coaching on his relationship with his players
- Chris Scott >>>> Brad Scott, every time they open their mouths. I'm sorry Brad but even your mum must know that

I kept trying to work out how much was my bias from obviously seeing their results, but I couldn't help but think Clarko, Hinkley, Lyon and Longmire are a cut above. These are guys who are totally sure of themselves. Yet at the same time they have a lot of confidence in their organisations.

- Bucks, talks a lot about the future and what he's trying to build, the future is now! The future was 2010, why is there so much to build?
- Ross the freaking Boss. His sister dies and he just plows on. But he's also got a great sense of humour at other times
- Love Mick Malthouse when he laughs at the coding idea. The guy knows football. He doesn't need to over complicate it. I still can't believe he produce Neeld as a protege when he clearly basis so much of his coaching on his relationship with his players
- Chris Scott >>>> Brad Scott, every time they open their mouths. I'm sorry Brad but even your mum must know that

I kept trying to work out how much was my bias from obviously seeing their results, but I couldn't help but think Clarko, Hinkley, Lyon and Longmire are a cut above. These are guys who are totally sure of themselves. Yet at the same time they have a lot of confidence in their organisations.

What i like about those coaches if you keep working hard you'll reap the awards.

From my thoughts on being a senior coach in general

- I'm glad they are well remunerated when you hear about the public scrutiny
- I'm glad some of them have really nice houses!
- I feel for the ones with young kids a bit. Totally agree with Ross on where's the rush to be fired
- I probably am in favour of more clubs putting more responsibilities with their head of football similar to how the NFL/NBA works with team GMs. The saints probably lead the way with Pelchen getting responsibilities in the public scrutiny anyway. All clubs delegate this work now but I think more and more will consider a GM on level playing with or even above the senior coach in the organizational structure. I understand coaches down want to give up power but I can't see how they can effectively do all parts of the job. If you aren't doing the recruiting, the trading, the contracts or employing the support staff then why take the credit or blame for it.
- Footy club boards suck. I wonder if coaches can do something about it. David Parkin is one man who puts himself forward to go on coaching selection panels to find the right coaches.
- No AFL club should ever hire a senior coach who hasn't been an assistant before again. At a minium 5 years. Ideally at 2 or more different clubs and given these days their are full time well paid jobs to be the head coach of an AFL teams reserves side (or VFL/SANFL/WAFL etc) that should be recommended as well.

Was glued to this. My thoughts....
- Completely different side to Ross Lyon which was good to see.
- Have to say what they showed of Sando addressing the players pre game etc was completely uninspiring, if that was the standard he dished up it's no wonder he is gone. He spoke well to the camera though.
- Hinkley seems to be the mix of modern new coach with some old hard bastard thrown in
- Bluey just seems clueless, but they also got belted in the game they looked at which didn't help
- no love for Bomber Thompson? Would have loved to hear from him
- loved the story about the text message to the young player with McCarthy

Ross is, and always has been, a ripping bloke. Not many men deserve a flag more than he.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

wait, so you guys are telling me channel 7 produced a quality piece of television?

might check this out on sunday.

not surprised ross lyon comes across as an interesting character, his post-match press conferences are second to none (only thompson came close, but his were more bizarre than intriguing). full of quotable snippets.

wait, so you guys are telling me channel 7 produced a quality piece of television?

might check this out on sunday.

not surprised ross lyon comes across as an interesting character, his post-match press conferences are second to none (only thompson came close, but his were more bizarre than intriguing). full of quotable snippets.
Nah they just bought some quality material from AFL media.

Given Brad just eliminated Chris in a final.........

But anyway doco was brilliant, probably the best AFL (no game) piece i can recall. Grats and thanks to all those involved.

Reckon the AFL could do something similar with a few players. They are all trained to be bland as flour in front of the camera and microphone nowadays, which is a shame. Their personalities drowned in a torrent of political correctness, marketing rubbish and cliches.

Was Ross Lyon on the whacky tabacky?

Could have done with more mafioso legendary coaches talking and less Guy McKenna if you ask me.

But overall it was great, and there should be more of this kind of thin. Possibly on Fox Footy or something.

Last edited:
Given Brad just eliminated Chris in a final.........

But anyway doco was brilliant, probably the best AFL (no game) piece i can recall. Grats and thanks to all those involved.

Oh wowwwww Brad won a final did he against a beaten up mob? Impressiveeeeee.
Chris has a premiership btw with a team who people wrote off and on the decline and has kept us right near the top since.
Good doco but would like to see more.

I missed this when it was on :( Is there anywhere online that is hosting it? I checked the channel 7 website and AFL website but nothing

I thought it was a fantastic production.

As always it was what they would have left out that made it so engaging. Very little filler for a 90 minute production and mostly very insightful for a footy buff like myself.

Ticked the other box too as my other half was completely enthralled by it.

It's appeal transcended footy I reckon, and that's when you know you've nailed a documentary

Really interesting doco.

Wondered what the reaction will be to Sheeds thoughts about public commentary by people who have no first hand knowledge of coaching or the operation of professional football clubs.
I've always thought that clubs should give the media more access to their operation to allow a more informed commentary of football in general. Of course clubs need to protect their IP but at the moment we have people in the media reporting on football who have no real idea what's going on. That includes both tactically On field and the operations of clubs.

The media space is ever increasing and it needs to be filled.

I felt for the poor guy who asked Clarko "how important is it to finish top 2". If that's indicative of the medias knowledge of football then something needs to change.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back