the church

Remove this Banner Ad

Great band, I know it's almost a Church cliche but how can this thread exist without this?

I go to a better place when I hear this song.

Great song, prefer this live version though.

Tranquility Blew my mind
This album sounds brilliant

Hologram of Baal is an amazing album.

Tranquility is classic chillled out Church.

Been smashing these guys lately. One of our finest bands.

A few of my early favorites....

Saw them do an acoustic show at The Corner a few years back now, the 'unplugged' version of The Unguarded Moment was just amazing. Gave the song a whole different slant.

im with you plugger. (so far)
Have done five albums.
i would rank them
Hologram > P=A > Heyday > Blurred Crussade > Starfish..

Hologram of Baal is imense in its overall sound. I think its a notch above what they were going for on P=A with better sounding drums. Sk's vocal flow on it is unreal to. like a smooth psychedelic dylan.

im with you plugger. (so far)
Have done five albums.
i would rank them
Hologram > P=A > Heyday > Blurred Crussade > Starfish..

Hologram of Baal is imense in its overall sound. I think its a notch above what they were going for on P=A with better sounding drums. Sk's vocal flow on it is unreal to. like a smooth psychedelic dylan.

Hologram of Baal was when The Church went into total space rock mode, their previous two albums suffered without Peter Koppes and a regular drummer.

With Hologram of Baal they had Koppes back in the fold and got Tim Powles who is a great drummer/producer and that got The Church back on track.

The first single off that album summed it up, sublime guitar work from Koppes and MWP.

Seem to be a band who just kept going a bit too long, I think. Maybe that's harsh. They just seemed to coast though, which is also something I could probably say about another of my favourite Aussie bands, The Lucksmiths, too (speaking of which – any fans here?).

Some cracker singles but aside from Starfish, Blurred Crusade, and Skins and Heart I just struggle to get through an LP. I love the guitar sound though and it being played a lot in houses and cars as a kid is probably what drove me to adopt post-punk-revivalism as my default genre. They really did well to hit a nuanced, perfected Australian variant on that jagged guitar tone, though.

You tried HOB? And nah never tried the lucksmiths.. they have a retrospective out right? Must listen to that..looks like a good gateway collection like the wonderful blackeyed susans boxset from a few yrs back

Some of The Church's best work has been in the last 15 years, one of the few bands of their vintage that keeps producing great music rather than just living off past glories.

Their last album Untitled #23 is one of their best and got rave reviews.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Untitled_23

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I would have thought The Church are one band that should have kept going as opposed to the many many bands that should have shut up shop over the years.

Long may they keep rocking.

Great band, I know it's almost a Church cliche but how can this thread exist without this?

I go to a better place when I hear this song.

Same boat.

I don't really listen to The Church but my old man was a big fan and this song brings on some ridiculous nostalgia. Always imagine being on a beach while the sun is going down listening to this one.

I found a copy of this on fleabay and for the price decided to give it a go...a nice album...think it will kick off a resurgent Church session in my unit...

Good music to study to also...

cheers

col

yeah its wonderful
a real grower
can't go past this

one of my fav church songs so far

Been on their album Forget Yourself this past couple days..
so different from after everything in now this in sound. has a more raw & darker feel.

wiki tells me it was captured from jam-based material. it really shows and is amazing for it.

ChurchForget.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back