List Mgmt. The Core-Who stays and who goes;re-signings and departures

Remove this Banner Ad

You mean where we played hardball and got a better deal?

I have little doubt that is whats happening here.

Possibly.

However the main difference from last years debacle is that the club never denied that Boyd had requested a trade.

In this case however they've stated that Cam hasn't requested a trade and that he doesn't want to leave.

Possibly.

However the main difference from last years debacle is that the club never denied that Boyd had requested a trade.

In this case however they've stated that Cam hasn't requested a trade and that he doesn't want to leave.
Didnt someone post a link saying the club has now said he has requested a trade and we have said no? Twitter feed i think

Ever since we joined the competition, there's been no shortage of naysayers predicting a mass exodus of players, no doubt hoping it comes true, so we end up folding and what's left gets dispersed to the other clubs.

Well, it aint gonna happen. We've done a fantastic job - especially this year - holding on to some really outstanding young talent.

This club is going places and the naysayers are just gonna have to suck it up.

Trade McCarthy if he doesn't want to be here, if we can get a good enough return that is! Otherwise let him see out his contract in the NEAFL!

I really don't care any more. We'll line up with the players we have in Round 1 next year. We'll know the squad by late October.

We're going to pick up some good academy kids and line up with a pretty good side come the start of the season. Whatever happens.

Sunshine has two years on his contract. Contracts aughta matter. Is it the kid? Is it the weaselling manager? Is it some media knobhead trying to create a beat-up?

I don't give a flying rats clacker. If the kid has integrity, he'll stay.

But in the scheme of things? My club will be better next year than it was this - whatever happens.

You want people who'll stick.

I really don't care any more. We'll line up with the players we have in Round 1 next year. We'll know the squad by late October.

We're going to pick up some good academy kids and line up with a pretty good side come the start of the season. Whatever happens.

Sunshine has two years on his contract. Contracts aughta matter. Is it the kid? Is it the weaselling manager? Is it some media knobhead trying to create a beat-up?

I don't give a flying rats clacker. If the kid has integrity, he'll stay.

But in the scheme of things? My club will be better next year than it was this - whatever happens.

You want people who'll stick.

12.5% of $190,000 is bugger all.

12.5% of $700,000 is awesome.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You mean where we played hardball and got a better deal?

I have little doubt that is whats happening here.

It's arguable that it was actually the Dogs that played hardball and got a better deal, if you believe Boyd > picks 6 & 7. GWS had to get Griffen over, didn't want to give up Boyd, then relented when Dogs held tight and forced their hand.

Not sure what the McCarthy situation means, if anything. People (media) always try and read greater meaning into things to give them context. Doesn't necessarily have to mean anything, or be a symptom of something greater.

It's arguable that it was actually the Dogs that played hardball and got a better deal, if you believe Boyd > picks 6 & 7. GWS had to get Griffen over, didn't want to give up Boyd, then relented when Dogs held tight and forced their hand.

Not sure what the McCarthy situation means, if anything. People (media) always try and read greater meaning into things to give them context. Doesn't necessarily have to mean anything, or be a symptom of something greater.

Ahh yeah i can see how you guys held firm by offering a mill in cap space as well in the end

Yeah you really played hardball and got the upper hand on that deal. You should really stick the boot in and cover Cal's contract as well!!

Fricken joker

Last edited:
It is really now down to the player Freo are able to put up to get the job done. If he wants out let him go, he'll only cause trouble if you keep him and force him to play out a contract then he will get you back by going into the draft where GWS would get nothing.
We draft Himmelberg from our academy this year.

He's had 3 pre-seasons under his belt by the time McCarthy has fallen asleep in his first team talk from Ross the Boss.

We screw over Freo, we teach the value of a contract to our players, we lose exactly nothing.

But McCarthy and Freo do.

Last edited:
If we could somehow engineer a deal involving Lachie Neale I would not be devastated. That bloke is a jet and has elite speed, something we could use.

Neale would be great but theres no way Freo would give him up.There an ageing list so hes gold to them.It would have to involve future picks for this to get done.I agree with others though.Just play serious hardball with any trade here.Theres a big difference between this and the Treloar trade due to his contract situation

Ahh yeah i can see how you guys held firm by offering a mill in cap space as well in the end

Yeah you really played hardball and got the upper hand on that deal. You should really stick the boot in and cover Cal's contract as well!!

Fricken joker

Oh, you guys really wanted the the $s. I didn't realise that was the big win from your perspective. Well played.

Oh, you guys really wanted the the $s. I didn't realise that was the big win from your perspective. Well played.
Did we or do we pay griff a mil a year to sit in vfl?

You guys over paid because we didnt just accept a swap which is what your lot wanted. We then got picks and a million in cap space.

Guys this has legs...

Grandfather deal on table massive $$$

I fear this won't end well...the only positive is we have a shitload of depth.

From my perspective we should hold him for 12 months and do something end of next year when there is a fat draft.

Andre..sorry have not read a heap of this thread , was coming to perhaps talk rucks...
Who is the poacher?
If its next year your after..why not go hard at the future picks?
Im sure its disheartening losing star young guys but you do have plenty to build upon..and it seem every time you do lose someone..you don't lose from the deal.

The picks we get will go to our academy picks which going on reports are 4 this year and upto 5 next year. Soon the go home factor may not bother us.
It will be glorious

Can I ask how many of those 5 are from the Riverina area? I have heard this referenced several times by club mouthpieces... Im certain there will be pressure to reign in access to this area if it keeps being bountiful.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back