List Mgmt. The Core-Who stays and who goes;re-signings and departures

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
Andre..sorry have not read a heap of this thread , was coming to perhaps talk rucks...
Who is the poacher?
If its next year your after..why not go hard at the future picks?
Im sure its disheartening losing star young guys but you do have plenty to build upon..and it seem every time you do lose someone..you don't lose from the deal.

Freo

He's got two years left so no rush for us to blink

Would take a gun like Neale plus a pick swap upgrade, say our 2016 2nd rounder for their 2016 1st rounder

Unlikely

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Can I ask how many of those 5 are from the Riverina area? I have heard this referenced several times by club mouthpieces... Im certain there will be pressure to reign in access to this area if it keeps being bountiful.
Honestly dont know.

But whats bountiful? We still have a low ratio of home grown players compared to the rest of the competition. As we have seen with treliar and sunset (i know childesh. But i digress) go home is still a factor.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Freo

He's got two years left so no rush for us to blink

Would take a gun like Neale plus a pick swap upgrade, say our 2016 2nd rounder for their 2016 1st rounder

Unlikely

True..no blinking and plenty of leverage. Ask for the player you want plus R1 next year from them (no need to swap picks imo) ..Late R1 but still its all down hill from where they are. Probably struggle to get Neale unless he is OOC and wants you.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Honestly dont know.

But whats bountiful? We still have a low ratio of home grown players compared to the rest of the competition. As we have seen with treliar and sunset (i know childesh. But i digress) go home is still a factor.

Im not coming on here to sell ice to the Eskimo's. I not really fussed that you have access to that area atm.. but there has been comment. Once you become a strong team ( next year or the year after) , start winning week after week , I suspect pressure will come ..especially if the see the 3rd,4th kid from that area coming to you.

Personally , once a club like GWS or Swans start paying a reasonable rate for them..thats happens with the new system..so I have no issue with trying to bolster your draft zone. Just wish we could the same in the Geelong zone ;)

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Im not coming on here to sell ice to the Eskimo's. I not really fussed that you have access to that area atm.. but there has been comment. Once you become a strong team ( next year or the year after) , start winning week after week , I suspect pressure will come ..especially if the see the 3rd,4th kid from that area coming to you.

Personally , once a club like GWS or Swans start paying a reasonable rate for them..thats happens with the new system..so I have no issue with trying to bolster your draft zone. Just wish we could the same in the Geelong zone ;)

One of the factors that doesn't get mentioned is that there's competition with soccer and rugby league in that zone. While some kids will go to boarding school in Country Vic and get the benefit of coaching and playing in the school comps, others won't.

We'll probably take riverina and Canberra lads this year from the academy

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
One of the factors that doesn't get mentioned is that there's competition with soccer and rugby league in that zone. While some kids will go to boarding school in Country Vic and get the benefit of coaching and playing in the school comps, others won't.

We'll probably take riverina and Canberra lads this year from the academy

For those listening it does get mentioned. For those that want to observe , they only need to look at the success at the Wanderers and they can see the situation.
Every club has its own POV..one must plead their own case ... and clubs like Dogs that have paid a long cost with little support , the stronger big clubs like Pies ad Dons and Blues will really not put up with what they perceive as over the top help. Heeney was an example of this.

As I said , I doubt there will be too much of an issue till you become a strong club week in week out.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Honestly dont know.

Go Home factor.. is really but a bit over stated. Player use excuses ... not many can stand up and say.. no your crap I want out. ( Carlise did and it didn't make him look good) , or Im getting an offer from a club that plays at the G in big games... or Im getting huge money so Im out of here... etc

Makes them look ruthless and self indulgent.

Home grown players? Can you specify what you deem as Home grown? In state?

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Go Home factor.. is really but a bit over stated. Player use excuses ... not many can stand up and say.. no your crap I want out. ( Carlise did and it didn't make him look good) , or Im getting an offer from a club that plays at the G in big games... or Im getting huge money so Im out of here... etc

Makes them look ruthless and self indulgent.

Home grown players? Can you specify what you deem as Home grown? In state?
Basically yep. Nsw/act.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Basically yep. Nsw/act.

So Riverina... does it cover only NSW ..or does it come into Vic? The maps I have seen show it inside Victoria.
Screen Shot 2015-09-12 at 1.48.23 pm.png

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Pardon.. I did not make myself clear.. IMO it should be AFL money that is used.
Hey if the AFL funded all the academies then yep agree the kids go in the draft.

But the AFL handled it before and from what i heard were terrible at it.

Just like im against cola once we get down to a proper list size. But hey ill enjoy it while we got it.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Hey if the AFL funded all the academies then yep agree the kids go in the draft.

But the AFL handled it before and from what i heard were terrible at it.

Just like im against cola once we get down to a proper list size. But hey ill enjoy it while we got it.

If I was paying for it at Geelong , and for example the last couple of years some very good kids have come from the Falcons...id be peeved as well. This year for example Parish, Mathieson , Curnow..

So I have sympathy for your pov. Where the money comes from ..does this have to affect the way its run?

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
If I was paying for it at Geelong , and for example the last couple of years some very good kids have come from the Falcons...id be peeved as well. This year for example Parish, Mathieson , Curnow..

So I have sympathy for your pov. Where the money comes from ..does this have to affect the way its run?
It shouldnt but supposedly it does.

VanDemonxx

Club Legend
Jul 24, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
dont mean to intrude your board. Been a fair bit of talk for Jeremy Howe for a straight swap for Toby Greene. Seems like a bit of a steal for us, but it seems you guys rate Howe highly. Offered us pick 6 on deadline day last year which we rejected

thoughts?

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
dont mean to intrude your board. Been a fair bit of talk for Jeremy Howe for a straight swap for Toby Greene. Seems like a bit of a steal for us, but it seems you guys rate Howe highly. Offered us pick 6 on deadline day last year which we rejected

thoughts?

No way, Greene is super important to our structure as a mobile mid with a great tank that finds plenty of the ball. With Treloar gone he is even more important.

Apart from that he is firmly entrenched in Sydney and recently re-signed.

I don't mind Howe for his marking ability around the ground but Toby isn't going anywhere.

Maybe a bloke like Tom Bugg who is still off might be involved...Roosy would like a hard nut like him. Jacob Townsend another we might move as well as Hampton.

We do require some points however so not sure how we get in players even though we need a ruckman and a defender.

Last edited:

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS

thoughts?
Where's the talk coming from?

VanDemonxx

Club Legend
Jul 24, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
No way, Greene is super important to our structure as a mobile mid with a great tank that finds plenty of the ball. With Treloar gone he is even more important.

Apart from that he is firmly entrenched in Sydney and recently re-signed.

I don't mind Howe for his marking ability around the ground but Toby isn't going anywhere.

Maybe a bloke like Tom Bugg who is still off might be involved...Roosy would like a hard nut like him. Jacob Townsend another we might move as well as Hampton.

We do require some points however so not sure how we get in players even though we need a ruckman and a defender.
thats fair. i think we are starved of an A grader though

inamedthegiants

Premiership Player
Oct 18, 2014
AFL Club
GWS

thoughts?
Toby will never play football for a Melbourne club.

Back