List Mgmt. The Core-Who stays and who goes;re-signings and departures

Remove this Banner Ad

It's one thing to say he'll see out 2016 - but he's contracted until the end of 2017.

Maybe he can swap places with Lloyd and play his park footy for Killarney Vale.

I'd really like to understand what's happened here. If he's come back and trained at Tom Wills and gone to Noosa, but left ... did he have a run-in with someone? I still wouldn't think it enough to leave camp. Unfortunately, I won't trust anything his management says, and to be honest, club statements are likely to be fairly bland and almost equally one-sided in their description of the issues.

I hate to rush to judgement, but it's not sounding terribly professional from what snippets are coming out. I don't know that he's come back with a particularly great attitude to do this so soon. Guess I'll be changing my view on best 22 for round 1!

I'd really like to understand what's happened here. If he's come back and trained at Tom Wills and gone to Noosa, but left ... did he have a run-in with someone? I still wouldn't think it enough to leave camp. Unfortunately, I won't trust anything his management says, and to be honest, club statements are likely to be fairly bland and almost equally one-sided in their description of the issues.

I hate to rush to judgement, but it's not sounding terribly professional from what snippets are coming out. I don't know that he's come back with a particularly great attitude to do this so soon. Guess I'll be changing my view on best 22 for round 1!
Interested to know as well....how do you reckon the team mates are treating seeing as he wants out? I'd guess he's on the outer (obviously have nfi though)

Interested to know as well....how do you reckon the team mates are treating seeing as he wants out? I'd guess he's on the outer (obviously have nfi though)

I'm baffled. My family have interacted with him at different club events, signings etc - he always seemed pretty happy-go-lucky and down-to-earth. Seems to get on with teammates - the night the story broke of his 'desire' to leave he was at the pub drinking with Toby Greene and a couple of others. I would have thought he'd have copped some good-natured ribbing on returning to training, but then they'd just get down to business. Maybe my impression of him was wrong, maybe someone took the ribbing too far, maybe there's something more significant underlying. Just would have hoped that some honest, open discussion occurred (and does occur) - not sure that did happen given the posturing his manager did during the trade period. It's in no-one's interest, either his or the club's, for this saga to drag out.

I genuinely hope this doesn't see a talented youngster walk away from the game.

Would be a real shame.

Best of luck getting him around and keeping him involved in 2016.

Mitch Cleary, AFL Footy Show reporter, tweeting:

Mitch Cleary
‏@cleary_mitch
40m40 minutes ago

Cam McCarthy has left GWS Noosa Camp for rehab on inj hammys. First of many leave passes in 2015/16. Was planned & back to WA for Christmas

Certainly hoping that's true and it's just been a Channel 7 beatup. Will suspend judgement for now.

Mitch Cleary
‏@cleary_mitch
40m40 minutes ago

Cam McCarthy has left GWS Noosa Camp for rehab on inj hammys. First of many leave passes in 2015/16. Was planned & back to WA for Christmas

Certainly hoping that's true and it's just been a Channel 7 beatup. Will suspend judgement for now.
LOL - is this all a storm in a teacup? I love the media.

Quick question.
Did freo offer anything or didnt they.
Their supporters change their mind every 5 seconds
Picks.....1 this year 1 next from memory. I heard that if they included Weller and a pick then it would have gone through but they wouldnt budge on Weller - who probably doesnt get a look in after they signed Bennell.

Mitch Cleary
‏@cleary_mitch
40m40 minutes ago

Either way, Freo supporting mental short people are losing their mind over on their board. Comedy gold.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Picks.....1 this year 1 next from memory. I heard that if they included Weller and a pick then it would have gone through but they wouldnt budge on Weller - who probably doesnt get a look in after they signed Bennell.

I can see why they wouldn't budge on Weller, and given the bargain they got on Bennell it definitely makes sense that they punted on McCarthy for a year - Fremantle might have someone who wants out, or better picks, or GWS lowers their demands since McCarthy has a year less, or McCarthy stagnates this year. It's possible that McCarthy's value goes up, but it's unlikely.

Lets trade him to west coast. Little brat doesnt deserve to choose.

All because he got a better offer at dockless.
You do realise Freo are likely to offer more then west coast?
If your big stance this year was that we were apparently not offering enough then i doubt you are happy to let him go for less just because it isn't freo?
Either way i am sure GWS will eventually just take the best deal available if he still wants to leave.

You do realise Freo are likely to offer more then west coast?
If your big stance this year was that we were apparently not offering enough then i doubt you are happy to let him go for less just because it isn't freo?
Either way i am sure GWS will eventually just take the best deal available if he still wants to leave.

This isn't about McCarthy or Freo, it's about drawing a line in the sand that says don't * with us. Simple

This isn't about McCarthy or Freo, it's about drawing a line in the sand that says don't **** with us. Simple

I'd suggest also that the coaching team genuinely see the value in McCarthy as a key element of the GWS forward line set up, and actually don't want to lose him. I get the vibe that Leon Cameron is a bit old-fashioned also; so sees a contract as just that, but also genuinely believes that he can get Sunshine into the right frame of mind to stay with his mates at GWS. (Saw similar idealism with Treloar, didn't come off, but think he will always try.) Bigfooty will tend to resort to snide sarcasm about such matters unfortunately, as we saw with many many posts on both the Treloar and Sunshine situations.

I'd suggest also that the coaching team genuinely see the value in McCarthy as a key element of the GWS forward line set up, and actually don't want to lose him. I get the vibe that Leon Cameron is a bit old-fashioned also; so sees a contract as just that, but also genuinely believes that he can get Sunshine into the right frame of mind to stay with his mates at GWS. (Saw similar idealism with Treloar, didn't come off, but think he will always try.) Bigfooty will tend to resort to snide sarcasm about such matters unfortunately, as we saw with many many posts on both the Treloar and Sunshine situations.

:) I get the we want to keep him and agree entirely, but if he wants to go, it should be over hot coals, not warm milk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back