The Countdown - The return of Hird

Remove this Banner Ad

361: The amount of goals kicked by Tom Reynolds, brother of Dick. Played for Essendon from 1937-1944 in a career interrupted by the war. Played with Allan Hird, grandfather of James Hird.

This thread makes me cringe.

I'm happy to have the guy come back in 2015 at this stage, but let's not lose site of the fact that he was partly responsible for the club being whacked with the largest sanctions in the league's history.

To have a thread counting down his return 360-odd days in advance seems manifestly excessive and underlines the point that some people can't see past the aura of Hird to see the full extent of the situation.

I'm happy to have the guy come back in 2015 at this stage, but let's not lose site of the fact that he was partly responsible for the club being whacked with the largest sanctions in the league's history.

To have a thread counting down his return 360-odd days in advance seems manifestly excessive and underlines would almost underline the point that some people can't see past the aura of Hird to see the full extent of the situation.
I hear you. But we need to move on. We all make mistakes. I am hurting like everyone else, but he'll never make a similar mistake again and we'll have the most efficient footy department in the business.

To have a thread counting down his return 360-odd days in advance seems manifestly excessive and underlines would almost underline the point that some people can't see past the aura of Hird to see the full extent of the situation.

This.

Threads like this definitely do not help dispel the "Hird Cult" myth.

Personally, I love the guy as a player, deadset lionheart legend of the game.

But we were a great club before he was coach and we will be a great club after he has coached.

I disagree.

The AFL want Hird gone. The media have desperately wanted him gone. Now he's suspended. But he's never gone. He is as much Essendon as anyone could possibly be. You haven't won Caro. James Hird is still our senior coach. And he is coming back.

If there's a Hird cult, sign me up.

360: In 2008 James Hird was one of an extremely rare set of "Signature Redemption" cards. Limited to one every 360 packs, one recently sold on eBay for $550.

vyqe3e4a.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh and before anyone knocks today's one:

A) You find me a better Essendon stat related to 360
B) I had only one other option and it was much, MUCH weaker.

Robbo is an Essendon fan, and appears on AFL 360.

robbo.jpg

Robbo is an Essendon fan, and appears on AFL 360.

robbo.jpg

"Throughout his playing career Simon Goodwin had 360 uncontested disposals at the MCG, the ground where he fills in for James Hird as interim coach at Essendon"

359: Including pre-season games, Darren Bewick kicked 359 goals for Essendon during his career spanning 1988-2000. Bewick retired after playing in the 2000 Premiership, captained by James Hird.

357: The amount of shits given about this year's finals series

Remove this Banner Ad

Back