Sport The Cricket Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

After his tactics this morning not wanting to even make a game of it, agreed
That's the thing that annoys me the most about criticism of Smith's declaration. India made no attempt to win so why the * should we gift them that opportunity? Make an effort to win it and they would have been given a crack. Besides which, by batting them out of it they tried to stifle their shot making to last until end of play. My feeling is that is unnatural for any cricketer and results in more chances. We will never know but i think if we had declared 30 mins before lunch, the Indian shot making would have come out and on such a good pitch, i don't think we would have made the inroads we did.

That's the thing that annoys me the most about criticism of Smith's declaration. India made no attempt to win so why the **** should we gift them that opportunity? Make an effort to win it and they would have been given a crack. Besides which, by batting them out of it they tried to stifle their shot making to last until end of play. My feeling is that is unnatural for any cricketer and results in more chances. We will never know but i think if we had declared 30 mins before lunch, the Indian shot making would have come out and on such a good pitch, i don't think we would have made the inroads we did.
I agree. I sense the original plan was bat until we were all out, or Marsh made his 100 or until 30 before lunch with x runs on the board. Between rain and India not giving a s**t, that didn't happen

I think Haddin is lucky as well. I have this feeling Clarke won't be fit in time...

Bailey shouldn't even be in the team. Smith should be skipper while Clarke is not there. Where is the Rogers hater

I was surprised Bailey ever got a gig internationally but at ODI level he does have a good record. though recent form is down.

Theres a few guys who dont have to do much to get picked, Mitch Marsh for a start, shows promise no doubt but they just pick some of these guys based on what they might do.

Watson Marsh Faulkner but only 4 paceman is a bit light on , id ditch an all arounder for a fast bowler

ditch doherty for Lyon.

Lyon , is a dud, apart from Sydney he took 11/515. Pathetic ! Michael Beer is going ok , even Agar. They bring 2 bowlers in for the warm ups, of course 1 from NSW, when Behrendorff is killing it

im sure the selectors could of squeezed 6 more nsw players into the squad as well, 8 is a bit light on i would of thought.

I agree re Lyon to be honest, but the cupboard is bare spin wise.

Maybe just use maxwell and smith even clarke if his back can be glued together and rely on pace.

Hope we get some decent pitches though.

How Did doherty make the world cup squad
He well in this game. 1/38 off 10 isn't bad. Kept it tight in the middle overs.

Was a good game tonight. Bit upset I missed most of it though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Henriques they have to be kidding, as the late great David Hookes said "when you get your NSW cap, you get an Australian one under it "
He played well in India on our last tour there. Also he is replacing Watson. Who else is a good allrounder to come in? M.Marsh can't bowl yet. Maxwell is already in the side.

You don't get the point
I do. If he was from NSW despite not being very good, he still would've played heaps and heaps of international cricket. There is a lot of "Vics get it hard in selection" mentality. I was just saying that Hasting, in my opinion, wasn't up the standard and that's why he was dropped, not because he was playing for Victoria. The way your post read came across as "Because Hastings played a lot for Vic, he got shafted in the international team". I said no, he got dropped cause he wasn't good.

Any other point I may have missed?

He's better than this bloke. Anyhow they have the allrounders in Faulkner and Maxwell. How does a bloke who cant get a game for NSW, bowls pies and gets a game over Behrendorff
Since he is batting at 8 he is in the side as a bowling allrounder, which is almost redundant. The top 7 should be able to score you 250+ in an ODI game. I wouldn't have played him and played Doherty instead. He would work well with Maxwell as we would have the ball spinner both ways.

For this game, I would've had:
Finch
Marsh
Smith
White
Maxwell
Faulkner
Haddin
Starc
Cummins
Doherty
Sandhu

15-20 overs of pace (Cummins, Starc). 15-20 overs of fast medium with good change up (Faulkner, Sandhu). 15-20 overs over spin (Doherty and Maxwell). Behrendorff I haven't see much of other than his games for the Scortchers but from what I have seen, he is similar to Starc in the sense if it isn't swinging, he isn't nearly as good. I could be wrong and I hope I am. Love left arm pacers in the team. Just haven't seen enough of him to comment.

All that said, at time of writing, Henriques hasn't bowled that bad so far.

How does Sandhu get a game
By bowling well for the Thunder and NSW. Shield average of 27, SR 51. ODD average 25 SR 30. T20 average of 19(!) SR 18. He is also a good foil for Starc and Cummins. They are fast strike bowlers, he ties up an end and helps build up pressure. His action is awkward to watch but he has impressed me from when I saw him play live at the MCG.

Good wicket from Henriques there too BTW :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back