The Cricket Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The English are certainly handling the pitch just fine. Continually overpitching doesn't help our cause much though.

Quickest first innings in test history in terms of balls bowled too.

Yeah very good points. I just think at his best Johnson is more damaging than Starc. Starc is a little bit one dimensional.
And thats the thing with English conditions. They are so unpredictable and different to any other place around the world.
Harris is such a big loss. Hazlewood has done ok in his absense, I think we need another line and length bowler who can swing the ball and let Johnson be the out and out quick which he is best at
Good thing we didn't drop either player. Johnson our best batsman and Starc our best bowler....

Check out the match center part of the scoreboard. It allows you to view the bowling line of the two best bowlers. You can see Broard and Wood both bowled a tighter wider line to us than we have to England. I noticed this in previous test. We only conceded two wickets where the ball was bowled on the stumps. We just don't know how to leave balls.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/the-ashes-2015/engine/match/743969.html

Check out the match center part of the scoreboard. It allows you to view the bowling line of the two best bowlers. You can see Broard and Wood both bowled a tighter wider line to us than we have to England. I noticed this in previous test. We only conceded two wickets where the ball was bowled on the stumps. We just don't know how to leave balls.

Batsman can't leave (on line or on length) and the bowlers can't build pressure.

Broad, Anderson and Wood have all been far more consistent than our bowlers. I thought our strength was going to be our bowling but their performances have been highly concerning.

If this test is lost and the last test becomes a dead rubber, I'd suggest a new bowling attack to let the 'second stringers' prove their worth. It may give us a giude as to weather the younger blokes can bowl in English conditions for future ashes series

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have decided to spring clean. Blurted it out before thinking about it and then got the wife's endorsement. Locked in now.

I reckon that's what Cricket Australia will be doing after this series.

Batsman can't leave (on line or on length) and the bowlers can't build pressure.

Yep. Watched Warner, and he got a great over from Broad, but seemed incapable of leaving the ball on a length. Just looked like he was going to edge every ball. Broad just came in on the angle etc.

Rogers played well in that three overs. A technique, so obviously, honed on these pitches.

Yep. Watched Warner, and he got a great over from Broad, but seemed incapable of leaving the ball on a length. Just looked like he was going to edge every ball. Broad just came in on the angle etc.

Rogers played well in that three overs. A technique, so obviously, honed on these pitches.
That over was the perfect example. Absolute ripping balls. All but 2 had to be played at. I think he played inside one, but was just drawn to the others. Easy to say sitting back on the couch, but then again, I ain't opening for Australia. .

That over was the perfect example. Absolute ripping balls. All but 2 had to be played at. I think he played inside one, but was just drawn to the others. Easy to say sitting back on the couch, but then again, I ain't opening for Australia. .

Yeah, I know. But I agree: from a technqiue point of view, the art of leaving, he just wasn't reading it. Was exposing himself to danger when he didn;t have to. I liked the way Rogers was waiting on the ball to come onto his bat when he was playing back

I have a friend who plays - or did - club cricket with Warner. He told me years ago that he would play for Australia at test level. Said he had the best eye and striking ability of anyone he'd seen. But said his entire career, including junior, was based around hitting and muscling the ball and he lacked the craft of batting. He expressed the opinion he had no doubt he would get, and play for Australia. Funny to reflect back on it.

Yeah, I know. But I agree: from a technqiue point of view, the art of leaving, he just wasn't reading it. Was exposing himself to danger when he didn;t have to. I liked the way Rogers was waiting on the ball to come onto his bat when he was playing back

I have a friend who plays - or did - club cricket with Warner. He told me years ago that he would play for Australia at test level. Said he had the best eye and striking ability of anyone he'd seen. But said his entire career, including junior, was based around hitting and muscling the ball and he lacked the craft of batting. He expressed the opinion he had no doubt he would get, and play for Australia. Funny to reflect back on it.
Warner did make a leap forward in his career when he realised that he didn't need to try and score at a run a ball and defensive shots are a part of good batting. Hope he can make a second leap by realising you don't need to have bat hit ball every delivery. He has it in him to adapt but needs to come to that decision to changes his game and become a complete test player.

Warner did make a leap forward in his career when he realised that he didn't need to try and score at a run a ball and defensive shots are a part of good batting. Hope he can make a second leap by realising you don't need to have bat hit ball every delivery. He has it in him to adapt but needs to come to that decision to changes his game and become a complete test player.

Funny, my son has - quite unexpectedly mind you - turned into an exceptionally good cricketer. And loves the game too. Plays for the joy of it and works hard, so the best kind of thing happening there.

He's been doing some private coaching and the coach had him practising leaving balls with full footwork from day one. Gotta laugh because the coach was saying hitting it was easy, but not hitting it was the real art. Have to agree with him!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back