The Cricket Thread

Bedi

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 8, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
ridiculous we've reached same score without loss of a wicket. Need at least 500 to have any chance. Surely this is not possible. It would be more of a miracle than Eden Gardens 2001

Bedi

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 8, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
dropped catches, dismals on no balls - a bit of luck makes so much difference! Rogers has to captialise on this let off

Sep 8, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
There are no other teams
Our batsman are very good at making a pitch with movement into a minefield. Any chance of a lot of rain?
While we pray for rain also pray that Warne gets his nose out of Clarkes arse sometime in the future.

If Ponting was still captain Warne would have wanted him deported by now, but still not an ounce of criticism about the pea hearted Clarke from his bum buddy. :thumbsdown:

Australia has 3 of the top 4 scoring batsman with England having only one batsman averaging more than 40. And yet we 3-1 behind in the series. The rest of the batsman have offered virtually nothing.
Rogers & Smith I presume. Who's the 3rd... Warner?
Aside from Smith at Lords, where he was brilliant. I've only liked how Rogers and Neville have gone about it.

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Rogers & Smith I presume. Who's the 3rd... Warner?
Aside from Smith at Lords, where he was brilliant. I've only liked how Rogers and Neville have gone about it.
Yeah Warner.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/records/batting/most_runs_career.html?id=9249;type=series

Shane Watson (24.50) averaged more than the following Australian players:
Johnson 20.14
Voges 20.83
Clarke 16.71
Starc 16.50
M.Marsh 15
Hazlewood 15
Haddin 14.50
Lyon 10.50
S.Marsh 1

I guess this is why Watson has found it tough to get dropped all these years....

Even by average we still have 3 of the top 4 batsman.
Similar story with the bowlers... Broad tops the wicket takers, followed by the Australian bowling lineup.

Bedi

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 8, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Will be interesting to see if Cummins plays at the Oval. Being the future, i think he should. Prob as a replacement for Hazlewood. Would also love to see Fawad Ahmed, but can't see us playing two spinners - and Lyon certainly doesn't deserve to be dropped.
So who are the player Ponting are referring to who won't play another test after the Ashes? I assume - Clarke, Rogers, Haddin, Watson, Siddle, S Marsh and Voges

Will be interesting to see if Cummins plays at the Oval. Being the future, i think he should. Prob as a replacement for Hazlewood. Would also love to see Fawad Ahmed, but can't see us playing two spinners - and Lyon certainly doesn't deserve to be dropped.
So who are the player Ponting are referring to who won't play another test after the Ashes? I assume - Clarke, Rogers, Haddin, Watson, Siddle, S Marsh and Voges

I reckon that's the list. Sean Marsh, to me, was a bizarre selection. Cannot see how he would become a consistent test player. Can't even do that at Shield level yet.

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Marsh has talent but his problem
Has always been between the ears. By 30 if you can't average 40 at Sheils level you know there must be a fundamental flaw.

However look around Sheild level and you have guys like ferguson, kawaja, cooper etc. performing at only a slightly higher level. Despite the higher pedigree of those players in theory then maxwell, maxwell averages the same or better. I would have picked burns for West Indies tour because I think he has great fortitude under pressure and thus the right temperament for test cricket. Did nothing wrong when in the test team plus his Sheild level is very good. Not Voges good but he is at the opposite end of his career and I think you need a perfect blend of talent, reflexes and experience to succeed at test level. The doubt about any batsman over 35 is does he still have the reflexes.

Nic Maddison has to be our opener. Recon he is on the verge of becoming a star. Got injured on the Australia a tour but has performed in almost every international game he has played for Australia a etc which is a good sign. Can play all forms of the game.

Chris Lynn is another we should look at. Averages 45 is Sheild and I think if not for missing the first half of last season he would have put his name up as a potential test player. Hope he gets it together soon.

I think the selectors will seriously consider maxwell at 6 if marsh doesn't kick on. The guy is so talented they could probably tell him to learn how to bowl medium pace and he would come back a week later able to swing it both ways. I have no doubt about his ability to play at test level but a massive doubt on his temperament.

Bancroft also performed well in India. May be a bolter. Few other talented guys like handscomb who are probably a year or two away. Very interested to see if the selectors have the nerve to pick some youth after trialling experience for years.

Marsh is making all sorts of weird noises in the press. Like the selection dilemma of dropping Mitch Marsh for brother Sean was one of the toughest he'd ever been involved with. C'mon, let's get some perspective here.

Marsh has talent but his problem
Has always been between the ears. By 30 if you can't average 40 at Sheils level you know there must be a fundamental flaw.

However look around Sheild level and you have guys like ferguson, kawaja, cooper etc. performing at only a slightly higher level. Despite the higher pedigree of those players in theory then maxwell, maxwell averages the same or better. I would have picked burns for West Indies tour because I think he has great fortitude under pressure and thus the right temperament for test cricket. Did nothing wrong when in the test team plus his Sheild level is very good. Not Voges good but he is at the opposite end of his career and I think you need a perfect blend of talent, reflexes and experience to succeed at test level. The doubt about any batsman over 35 is does he still have the reflexes.

Nic Maddison has to be our opener. Recon he is on the verge of becoming a star. Got injured on the Australia a tour but has performed in almost every international game he has played for Australia a etc which is a good sign. Can play all forms of the game.

Chris Lynn is another we should look at. Averages 45 is Sheild and I think if not for missing the first half of last season he would have put his name up as a potential test player. Hope he gets it together soon.

I think the selectors will seriously consider maxwell at 6 if marsh doesn't kick on. The guy is so talented they could probably tell him to learn how to bowl medium pace and he would come back a week later able to swing it both ways. I have no doubt about his ability to play at test level but a massive doubt on his temperament.

Bancroft also performed well in India. May be a bolter. Few other talented guys like handscomb who are probably a year or two away. Very interested to see if the selectors have the nerve to pick some youth after trialling experience for years.

I really, really like the look of Kawaja's game. Love his technique , his back foot play and the general way he plays. it seems that he's now putting it together from a batting temprement angle now too.

The thing that worried me about Burns is that flick shot he plays outside off stump where his feet don't really move.

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I really, really like the look of Kawaja's game. Love his technique , his back foot play and the general way he plays. it seems that he's now putting it together from a batting temprement angle now too.

The thing that worried me about Burns is that flick shot he plays outside off stump where his feet don't really move.
Yes Burns is not perfect but he is the kind of player to rise to the occasion and I think once in the national squad they could continue to improve his technique. My only gripes with Khawaja is that his average has been going backwards since he was 23-24 and he struggled to score at test level (SR 40). His technique looks very robust so could have just been a confidence issue for the later issue. As for his average, it was about 50 by age 24 but has slumped to just under 40. He is 28 now so just hitting his peak and I can forgive him some of that drop due to his knee injury but I wonder what else it reveals about him that such a good technique fails to get him the runs. 29 50s in 89 matches for only 13 centuries. Meanwhile his 50 cricket seems to have taken off. Does he lack patience?

Back