The Cricket Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Gee, if Mitch Marsh makes the most of his talent we are going to have one hell of a player. Bowling looks good. Has all the shots. Just got to start putting the runs on the board.

Agreed. He's very talented. He just needs to be given time at test level> I reckon it will take time, and be a little lean at first with his batting, but it will prosper given time.

Good win but too late in the series to matter for this tour. Looking forward from this tour our strongest performers with the bat were Our top 3, one of which is now retired. Voges was the only other batsman to give anything and I suspect his position in the test team is borderline. From a bowling point of view Starc was good but not great. Johnson was true to his English form - he needs a bouncy wicket to be effective. Lyon was very good on unfavorable pitches. Siddle excellent in his one test. Hazelwood disappointing.

So do we turn back to Siddle as a bowler? I don't think the two left armers bowl well together. Do we look to the future in Starc or to the past in Johnson? Do we continue to play Voges knowing he is only a transition player until some from the next gen rise to the level?

Good win but too late in the series to matter for this tour. Looking forward from this tour our strongest performers with the bat were Our top 3, one of which is now retired. Voges was the only other batsman to give anything and I suspect his position in the test team is borderline. From a bowling point of view Starc was good but not great. Johnson was true to his English form - he needs a bouncy wicket to be effective. Lyon was very good on unfavorable pitches. Siddle excellent in his one test. Hazelwood disappointing.

So do we turn back to Siddle as a bowler? I don't think the two left armers bowl well together. Do we look to the future in Starc or to the past in Johnson? Do we continue to play Voges knowing he is only a transition player until some from the next gen rise to the level?
I think Voges has probably shown enough to hold his spot and with both Clarke and Rogers retiring, he adds a level of experience during a transition phase. Also a very good slipper which helps with Clarke gone. I really hope Madddinson has some great early domestic season form because I'd love to see him get a run in Rogers' place.

Totally agree that Starc and Johnson didn't work together. I actually found Starc the most disappointing. There were some key moments in the series where he just let England off the hook with substandard bowling. Until he can learn to mix it up by bowling some back of a length cutters, then he doesn't go past Johnson for mine.

The lefties cause wasn't helped by Hazlewood being unable to close up an end. Big selection error not dropping him a test earlier for Siddle. As for Siddle, he just needs to be rewarded for excellent form.

losing the series 3/2 was a ridiculous end result.

two of the test losses were sub standard efforts

Bangladesh Test Squad:
Steve Smith (c), Adam Voges (vc), Cameron Bancroft, Joe Burns, Patrick Cummins, Andrew Fekete, Usman Khawaja, Nathan Lyon, Mitchell Marsh, Shaun Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Peter Nevill, Stephen O'Keefe, Peter Siddle, Mitchell Starc

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/spo...-in-favour-20150913-gjlsje.html#ixzz3lg8v9KFk
Follow us: @brisbanetimes on Twitter | brisbanetimes on Facebook

Shaun Marsh hanging on by his fingernails. No Patto. No Nick Maddinson (who may still be injured). Largely reckon they have picked the right young batsman. I know Fekete had a good last season but he is 30 and in experienced. A strange combination. Hazelwood would be disappointed (assuming he isn't injured - I have a hard time keeping up with who is and isn't injured of our bowlers).

Bangladesh Test Squad:
Steve Smith (c), Adam Voges (vc), Cameron Bancroft, Joe Burns, Patrick Cummins, Andrew Fekete, Usman Khawaja, Nathan Lyon, Mitchell Marsh, Shaun Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Peter Nevill, Stephen O'Keefe, Peter Siddle, Mitchell Starc

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/spo...-in-favour-20150913-gjlsje.html#ixzz3lg8v9KFk
Follow us: @brisbanetimes on Twitter | brisbanetimes on Facebook

Shaun Marsh hanging on by his fingernails. No Patto. No Nick Maddinson (who may still be injured). Largely reckon they have picked the right young batsman. I know Fekete had a good last season but he is 30 and in experienced. A strange combination. Hazelwood would be disappointed (assuming he isn't injured - I have a hard time keeping up with who is and isn't injured of our bowlers).

I have heard commentary that they're managing Johnson and Hazelwood's workload.

So where does Smith Bat? 3 or 4 is the likely answer but which one?

Bancroft is getting attention as a right-hander who will likely bat at opener to break up the possibility of having three lefties at the top of the order in Warner, Khawaja and Marsh being the other considered combination. S.Marsh would likely get a gig at 6 according to the article but I suspect his brother is earmarked for that role...

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/spo...ron-bancrofts-test-hopes-20151012-gk6zyz.html

So where does Smith Bat? 3 or 4 is the likely answer but which one?

Bancroft is getting attention as a right-hander who will likely bat at opener to break up the possibility of having three lefties at the top of the order in Warner, Khawaja and Marsh being the other considered combination. S.Marsh would likely get a gig at 6 according to the article but I suspect his brother is earmarked for that role...

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/spo...ron-bancrofts-test-hopes-20151012-gk6zyz.html
I like him at 3. He's our best bat by a mile.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, well .. who'd have thought. Problems with the pink ball, and only a short time to fix it before the Test in Adelaide. Adam Voges claims the ball doesn't stay pink for very long and eventually turns green. Mike Hussey said he's glad to be retired as he wouldn't like facing the "pink" ball in twilight. Once again the cricket administrators making decisions based on $$$$$ and not common sense.

Well, well .. who'd have thought. Problems with the pink ball, and only a short time to fix it before the Test in Adelaide. Adam Voges claims the ball doesn't stay pink for very long and eventually turns green. Mike Hussey said he's glad to be retired as he wouldn't like facing the "pink" ball in twilight. Once again the cricket administrators making decisions based on $$$$$ and not common sense.

Too late to fix it before the Adelaide test, could be a debacle. Players have not been happy with the pink ball since it's inception but have been reluctant to say so I think since CA were always going to have a day/night test come hell or high water.

Last edited:
Too late to fix it before the Adelaide test, could be a debacle. Players have not been happy wit the pink ball since it's inception but have been reluctant to say so I think since CA were always going to have a day/night test come hell or high water.

Administrators just aren't happy unless they're screwing something up. Why can't they just accept the fact the only recipe for Test cricket is a red ball against white clothing at day time. They have enough perverted versions of the game already, why stuff up Test cricket as well?

Administrators just aren't happy unless they're screwing something up. Why can't they just accept the fact the only recipe for Test cricket is a red ball against white clothing at day time. They have enough perverted versions of the game already, why stuff up Test cricket as well?

Wholeheartedly agree with you. It's just all about money I guess.

I see Travis Dean has scored two unbeaten shield centuries, 154* and 109* on debut. This is a first for shield cricket.

Wholeheartedly agree with you. It's just all about money I guess.

Part of an administrator's role used to be to protect the integrity of the game. Those days are gone.

They can do both.

I don't blame them at all for looking at day/night tests; even in a country that still regards Test cricket as the pinnacle of the sport we struggle to attract financially viable crowds to venues like Perth and Brisbane for anything outside an Ashes game. The coming series against the West Indies (in which we may only get nine or ten viable days over three games) is going to be a financial disaster.

The technical issues around the pink ball (which are not dissimilar to the white ball issues) may prove insurmountable but you don't know until you try.

The venues cost money, the players want to get paid and the sponsors that grease the skids for everyone want to see a return on investment. Test cricket has, to some extent, demonstrates that it pays its way.

Was talking to a mate today with contacts into one of the state teams. The prevailing view amongst coaches and players is that beyond 50 overs the ball is very difficult to pick up. Obvious solution is to change the ball over every 50 overs regardless of its condition.... fair for both sides then. Might seem radical, but so is a pink ball and a day/night 4/5day game.

Great to see Handscomb make a ton yesterday. If he has a good start to the shield season be might be a sneaky chance to make the test squad, since there are lots of spots open

Was talking to a mate today with contacts into one of the state teams. The prevailing view amongst coaches and players is that beyond 50 overs the ball is very difficult to pick up. Obvious solution is to change the ball over every 50 overs regardless of its condition.... fair for both sides then. Might seem radical, but so is a pink ball and a day/night 4/5day game.

Some of the issue will be the abrasiveness of the wickets, but perhaps they need to see if another manufacturer has a better solution.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back