The Curse of the First Pick

Remove this Banner Ad

Simpson wasn't a bad pick and was worth the risk. Especially considering almost every single player picked after him (and half of those before him) are s**t. Horrible draft crop, there's barely 5-6 good players in the whole thing.

Still think Pitt was the worst selection of the lot. We had a mediocre pick (#20), but were then gift wrapped a hugely rated forward that we desperately needed (and still need), and completely blew it.

Simpson wasn't a bad pick and was worth the risk. Especially considering almost every single player picked after him (and half of those before him) are s**t. Horrible draft crop, there's barely 5-6 good players in the whole thing.

Still think Pitt was the worst selection of the lot. We had a mediocre pick (#20), but were then gift wrapped a hugely rated forward that we desperately needed (and still need), and completely blew it.

If we picked up Hill instead of Forster and Darling instead of Pitt that would have made reading this thread a little easier.

Yes they havent covered themselves in glory that is why if their is an obvious gun local ie Darling, Yeo or Brad Hill just take them dont psychoanalyze everything if they play up trade them later.

Curnow, Collins, Burton, are three key position players, one may last to our pick. I think it all depends on if we win the flag, if we do then we will
keep our first pick. Otherwise I can see Freo being aggressive and doing deals, free agency, anything possible to win the flag next year.

With the Pitt and Sheridan selections, it's difficult to fathom why they used their first round selection on a very bland player, the year after picking a very bland player. For whatever reason they chose Pitt, why did they follow it up with Sheridan? Best available can't be the answer, because Sheridan wasn't even the best available from Freo's draft haul.

At least you could see what they were potentially getting with Simpson - elite pace and ball use. Pitt you got elite ball use, and Sheridan you get good pace and ball use. The two together are pretty nothing selections though.

I think they're all reactions to Hawthorn. Needing elite ball users to change the game plan up.

If they came on and you partner it with what Morabito looked like becoming and Hill you have something to work with.

The plan was there, just didn't happen for various reasons
If elite ball users are a priority then why not move on the players who can't kick as well?

I think they're all reactions to Hawthorn. Needing elite ball users to change the game plan up.

If they came on and you partner it with what Morabito looked like becoming and Hill you have something to work with.

The plan was there, just didn't happen for various reasons

Pitt was taken because was meant to be a good user of the ball as well, and Simpson was very good IMO, just shows how difficult it is to get it all right.

Yeah, Darling would be pretty handy atm. But a lot of those are bad luck with injuries. Can ruin the best player. The trade bit is really bad. Have never haven really won a trade. Who has played his best footy for Fremantle? McPharlin of course, but what the Hawks got still makes them win. Perhaps Peter Bell, but we already had him earlier. And free agency is looking the same atm, only D.Pearce being handy, but missed out on those who could have had huge impact.

But would really be interesting to see the same list from all other clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pitt was taken because was meant to be a good user of the ball as well
Yeah, but still need is pretty important as well. Pitt with 100 games under his belt would have done what to our team now? Probably be a slight improvement on D.Pearce at best or perhaps only on Sheridan. Darling would be a pretty decent improvement on Taberner atm. And everybody seemed to have known we needed key position players back then already.

Yeah, but still need is pretty important as well. Pitt with 100 games under his belt would have done what to our team now? Probably be a slight improvement on D.Pearce at best or perhaps only on Sheridan. Darling would be a pretty decent improvement on Taberner atm. And everybody seemed to have known we needed key position players back then already.

There was a lot of doubt at the time re Darlings fitness & temperament. There was reports that he might never play a game, all set up by the Eagles, if I recall he went at 29 so the smoke screen worked well as not only Freo missed him. Hindsight is a great knowledge.

There was a lot of doubt at the time re Darlings fitness & temperament. There was reports that he might never play a game, all set up by the Eagles, if I recall he went at 29 so the smoke screen worked well as not only Freo missed him. Hindsight is a great knowledge.

Exactly. There were other behaviour-related issues which, despite having dissipated, were fresh at the time. Darling dropped for a reason, whether that was a WCE smokescreen I don't know, criticising that selection is captain hindsight at its best.

All teams make some strange decisions, I mean even Hawthorn taking Dayle Garlett at the end of the 2nd round :drunk:

And no I'm not saying that just with the benefit of hindsight.

Garlett was regarded as one of the best players in the draft. Would have been a steal for them if it worked out. Worth the risk.

Exactly. There were other behaviour-related issues which, despite having dissipated, were fresh at the time. Darling dropped for a reason, whether that was a WCE smokescreen I don't know, criticising that selection is captain hindsight at its best.

The "behaviour issues" were bullshit.

Darling got suspended from his school for kissing his girlfriend on a camping trip. He also got king hit in a nightclub by some idiot.

If AFL clubs considered that a "behavioural issue" then it's their own stupid fault.

Garlett was regarded as one of the best players in the draft. Would have been a steal for them if it worked out. Worth the risk.
Yeah nah. Him being a bad egg and being fond of certain recreational 'activities' was well known to many around Perth and Swans Districts. Drafting him especially that high, Hawthorn were arrogant and didn't do their homework.

Forster was really unlucky with his injuries.. Rated better then his best mate Lachie Neale too. But not getting Darling and/or B.Hill when they were there to be taken is pretty low too. Lucky we took Fyfe at 20 in 2009..

Arguably we would not have needed to take D Pearce if Pitt had been fit. I imagine this is also the reason we did not take B Hill. After all it took us forever to work out what the issue was with Pitt and we had 2 drafts between taking him and working his heart issues out.

Yeah nah. Him being a bad egg and being fond of certain recreational 'activities' was well known to many around Perth and Swans Districts. Drafting him especially that high, Hawthorn were arrogant and didn't do their homework.

I agree that Hawthorn were pretty arrogant to believe that they were the one club that could turn him around. But considering the strength of their list and what was available afterwards in the draft it's a reasonable punt to take.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back