Status
Not open for further replies.
May 29, 2008
Australia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
SS Lazio
america has death penalty and life in jail - potentially for only selling ganja three times

america has private prison system - 5% of the worlds population. 25% of the worlds prison population. Fact.

america is the creator and enforcer of the 'war on drug' (war on terror, too).

do you agree this is a hardline approach?

its not working.

Get your facts straight. Each State in the USA has it's own laws regarding drug related and other offences, some of which carry the death penalty. Most do not. There is no uniform federal law that dictates mandatory penalties in relation to drug related offences.

I agree with a strict hardline approach. Jailing users will not help the broader problems. Tougher sentences for dealers and traffickers are required. Perhaps not death but mandatory 10 year imprisonment for dealers and 20 year imprisonment for traffickers would suit me.

Todman

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 7, 2004
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The AFP should hang its head in shame.

Im all for stopping drug trafficking and the like. A more anti drug person you wont find! However did the AFP really have the right to dob them into the Indonesian government when their policys and beliefs on drugs and drug trafficking differs so differently to ours?

The crime was in Indonesia, the AFP knew about it so they should have informed their Indonesian counterparts, which they did. It's called co-operation.

Todman

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 7, 2004
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I agree with a strict hardline approach. Jailing users will not help the broader problems. Tougher sentences for dealers and traffickers are required. Perhaps not death but mandatory 10 year imprisonment for dealers and 20 year imprisonment for traffickers would suit me.

Problem is the crime the users commit to feed their habit.

blunt_tiger

All Australian
Suspended
Aug 2, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
check this out:

CIA's past role in importing huge amounts of cocaine into the U.S. that was aggressively sold in ghettos across the country to raise money for the Nicaraguan Contras rebel army. Despite enormous pressure not to, Webb chose to pursue the story and went public with his evidence, publishing the series "Dark Alliance". As a result he experienced a vicious smear campaign fueled by the CIA. At that point Webb found himself defending his integrity, his family, and his life.

Why so consistent with irrelevant crap?

B8ZWFvwCIAApffy.jpg

I'm not sure the AFP has the power to stop someone who they think is going to commit a crime. Plenty of drug users go to Bali, plenty of parents believe their daughters are using drugs when they are just skinny.

Not unless they are going to Syria or registered sex offenders going to South East Asia etc.

CountryRace

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Oct 25, 2014
https://archive.org/details/WarIsARacket
AFL Club
Fremantle
Who gives a **** where they are from?? A moron willingly went into indonesia with drugs and knowing the death penalty is the consequence and you want to have pity and let the moron free? get real idiot. so should our government, i don't think they really care it's just because of the sympathy publicity going around as a tactic to try and get them out. It's just too bad. If they let chan and his painting friend go, then they will have to let everyone go. it just doesn't work like that. You go to someone elses country, you obey the bloody law. so deal with it. You want people to come to Australia and obey laws, well why should we go break laws in other countries and get away with it. Get real and stop being an idiot.

you cannot see the big picture can you ?

Bosun

Cancelled
Apr 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Spurs
More blood on the Rodent's hands.

Bullshit Gough. Thats just as wrong as clowns like Bolt saying Gillard/Rudd have blood on their hands regarding asylum seeker deaths at sea caused by their respective policies.

Apr 8, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
I hate when people try and defend what these men did by saying "people make mistakes" and things along those lines. They knew what they were getting themselves into when they decided to do this, they knew the death penalty applies to anyone trafficking narcotics into Indonesia. I have no sympathy for these people. I have sympathy or the families but the families should stop blaming the Indonesian government and start blaming the two men involved.

Todman

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 7, 2004
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I hate when people try and defend what these men did by saying "people make mistakes" and things along those lines. They knew what they were getting themselves into when they decided to do this, they knew the death penalty applies to anyone trafficking narcotics into Indonesia. I have no sympathy for these people. I have sympathy or the families but the families should stop blaming the Indonesian government and start blaming the two men involved.

At last, someone on this board with common sense.

Exactly, I feel for the families I do, but I am over having 'sympathy' for the people that masterminded this drug operation. They knew the risks period.

I will always have sympathy for someone who will be tied to a pole with a bag over their head, heart pounding in their chest knowing any moment could be the crack of gunfire followed by the hot punching impact of their body being shredded.

All the while praying it will be a clean hit to the heart. Make it fast. Make it fast.

One last mercy. Make it fast.

Apr 8, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
I will always have sympathy for someone who will be tied to a pole with a bag over their head, heart pounding in their chest knowing any moment could be the crack of gunfire followed by the hot punching impact of their body being shredded.

All the while praying it will be a clean hit to the heart. Make it fast. Make it fast.

One last mercy. Make it fast.
That's fair enough, it's the way you feel about it, but for me I just can't really understand it. It's fair enough to say that they were "young and stupid" but at the end of the day they knew what the punishment was for trafficking narcotics into a country like Indonesia, the Death penalty. Not to mention the way that they went about it, threatening the others that were caught. I don't like the idea of being put to death but IMO they both knew what they were doing and the consequences of getting caught. Have absolutely no sympathy for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back