The Death Penalty for Chan

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here I was thinking the security was razor tight, how the hell did photographers get on the plane? They can't even arrange transportation for two convicts without it turning into a circus...all the while they provided no resistance at all!

Here I was thinking the security was razor tight, how the hell did photographers get on the plane? They can't even arrange transportation for two convicts without it turning into a circus...all the while they provided no resistance at all!

Sorry to be the one to break it to you, but the whole thing was intended to be a circus.

You don't need 4 armed fighter jets, dozens of tanks and hundreds of cops in riot gear to transport a few prisoners.

Was a big GAGF to the Australian govt.

they really can't do anything else for the duo but they did well today regardless of the outcome

I disagree. What about jumping on a plane and having a face to face, instead of talking in the media and parliament which by proxy is through the media. Discussions should be behind closed doors and in person. Then drop the "budget emergency" on him if all else fails. Money talks, especially in Asian countries.

309026-b01ef884-c2d8-11e4-a0d8-62fd782d4449.jpg

Taking "South Sydney Till I Die" literally

That is one creepy photograph. Sir, would you like the helmet or non-helmet section?

If ever there was a time for Diamond Joe to roll out the bullshit budget emergency line it should be the Monday morning after the executions explaining why unfortunately due to said emergency we had to cut their foreign aid by half. That would be a shirt front I'd actually respect from the LNP.
double aid. double the anti-capital punishment rubric.

initiate anti-texas-capital-punishment and anti-sino-capital-punishment too.
plus regional solution for refugees, not just talking points about boats. retract foreign expeditionary forces from mesopatamia and afghanistan...

see where this slippery slope leads tho. it is like Singer's widening circle i think. but tweaked a little.

i cannot remember with any alacrity the lex lasry van nguyen execution in singapore about a decade ago. but i cant remember there being this groundswell, and van nguyen may have been more empathetic as merely a mule to pay back a drug debt.

singer https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...ff&channel=fs&q=peter+singer+expanding+circle
/spelling /grammar

I disagree. What about jumping on a plane and having a face to face, instead of talking in the media and parliament which by proxy is through the media. Discussions should be behind closed doors and in person. Then drop the "budget emergency" on him if all else fails. Money talks, especially in Asian countries.

I agree the talks should be behind closed doors. But can a prime minister of a country just up and go like a citizen can, there are much bigger security issues that would have to be in place etc for abbot to just up and go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Abbott and Bishop are responsible for 24 million. not two.

the diplomats can handle this. they can call in the indo consulate.

they cant be heavyhanded at the expense of our relationship. we are still in debt. phone tapping. boats and refugees and sovereign waters. live cattle trade. the tsunami aid is just what a developed nation does for their neighbours. the ROW did the same thing. it was not over and above what was necessary. that does not downplay it, but it puts it in context. apart from switzerland and scandanavia and bermuda and luxembourg and monaco and channel islands and other tax free microstates, no one has it better than an urban australia. the politicians consistently tell us about bloody prosperity

Last edited:
There are other Aus prisoners in Indonesia who wouldn't mind getting free sometime in their lives, so I don't think a GAGF gesture is really appropriate, for many reasons.

Rather oddly I'm becoming more frustrated with the Indonesian governments decision the more people try to guilt and shame Australians and the Australian media over displaying disapproval of executing someone.

If someone wants to boycott Bali over this good on them. I don't give a s**t if Indonesia is drowning in drugs. Execution's are barbaric, no one has a right to execute people, as a form of punitive actiob. Not the US, Not the Hague and not Indonesia.

Personal I'll never revist Bali as it simply doesn't interest me (went in 03) it is the height of hypocrisy to say your against the death penalty and then attack people for trying to organise a boycott or ask that federal funding be cut.

I tip my hat to anyone who sticks to boycotting Indonesia until the death penalty is reversed. We might not be able to stop the actions of most countries carrying on like barbaric filth. But if people are so afraid of what this might do to the average Balinese person then maybe, just maybe this might produce such a heavy economic impact that the government in power might consider acting like human beings and finally do away with the primitive revenge fantasy they have the hide to call justice.

If ever there was a time for Diamond Joe to roll out the bullshit budget emergency line it should be the Monday morning after the executions explaining why unfortunately due to said emergency we had to cut their foreign aid by half. That would be a shirt front I'd actually respect from the LNP.
hockey or gutnik?

Rather oddly I'm becoming more frustrated with the Indonesian governments decision the more people try to guilt and shame Australians and the Australian media over displaying disapproval of executing someone.

If someone wants to boycott Bali over this good on them. I don't give a s**t if Indonesia is drowning in drugs. Execution's are barbaric, no one has a right to execute people, as a form of punitive actiob. Not the US, Not the Hague and not Indonesia.

Personal I'll never revist Bali as it simply doesn't interest me (went in 03) it is the height of hypocrisy to say your against the death penalty and then attack people for trying to organise a boycott or ask that federal funding be cut.

I tip my hat to anyone who sticks to boycotting Indonesia until the death penalty is reversed. We might not be able to stop the actions of most countries carrying on like barbaric filth. But if people are so afraid of what this might do to the average Balinese person then maybe, just maybe this might produce such a heavy economic impact that the government in power might consider acting like human beings and finally do away with the primitive revenge fantasy they have the hide to call justice.

Does this righteousness extend to boycotting USA, China, Malaysia etc? Will it extend to say abandoning a Singapore stopover on the way to Europe?

Is this about the death penalty or retaliation to Indonesia? I don't think many are distinguishing between the two. As Gough said no caveats to capital punishment.

They will be out of friends if they keep this up though.

Already executed in 2015, from these countries - Netherlands, Brazil, Nigeria, Malawi, Vietnam, Indonesia

With the two Australians, I couldn't find specific details of the others in the firing line, but from here:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...esia-death-row-moved-to-execution-island.html
Officials have not confirmed the identities of the others, although convicts from France, Brazil, the Philippines, Nigeria and Ghana recently lost their appeals for presidential clemency.

You can only piss so many other countries off before it becomes counter-productive.

And good luck to Indonesia trying to prevent its own citizens from being executed in other countries too.
been responsible for myriad more fatalities in mesopatamia and afghanistan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back